“Great local pub in Dublin”

John Kavanagh - The Gravediggers
Ranked #108 of 2,595 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: LUNCH (soup/sandwiches)MONDAY to FRIDAY:12noon-3pm. EVENING TAPAS TUESDAY to SATURDAY 6pm-8.30pm.(NO FOOD ON SUNDAYS OR BANK HOLIDAYS) Food is made fresh on the day each day and served in The Lounge only. We don't take bookings or large groups. We have no credit or debit card facilities cash only. We do offer great food at great value in one of Dublin's best kept secrets. Please ask for Ciaran Kavanagh for all food queries. Please note we are a Public House not a restaurant
San Francisco, California
“Great local pub in Dublin”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We came here Monday night and they didn't have much food compared to the rest of the week, but the place is just awesome. We were talking for a couple of hours with the bartenders and some of the locals and everybody was incredibly nice and it was just one of the great experiences. We walked there from the city center and it is a pretty easy walk (20-30 minutes), but you definitely feel that you are going away from the tourist parts of the city. The Guinness there was quite nice, but the company and the atmosphere was even better. Will definitely come back next time we are in Dublin.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank pilsen_pete

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
“You'll be guaranteed to leave with smile.”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have always heard so much about The Gravediggers but never been, so when I had to opportunity to bring a group of International students here, I jumped at it.

As soon as I walked in the door, I felt the old fashioned Dublin charm that so many modern pubs try to create, but as any one who has been here will know, there are somethings you just can't buy.

We had more than enough of the freshly made, and delicious, vegetable with herb soup and sandwiches with fillings for every taste.

The staff were incredibly warm, friendly, welcoming and charming. I could easily have sat there all afternoon and chatted with them, and I wasn't working, I would definitely have tried a pint (or two) of Guinness, which they very proudly boast as being one of the tastiest in Dublin. That, I am happy to say, will be a very good reason to return.

I left with a smile on my face and my soul thanked me for it. Please do yourself a favour and go here, you will not regret it!

1 Thank James_Mc_Cawley
Cork, Ireland
“Hidden Gem of North Dublin”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This place has amazing atmosphere especially in the summer and offers a chance to meet and talk to locals as well as few "blew ins".
If you are taking a tour of the cemetery stop for a pint here and absorb the atmosphere...

Visited April 2013
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
“A Pint Of Guinness, A Bowl Of Coddle, And Plenty Of History”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I wanted to stop by John Kavanagh aka Gravediggers because I had heard the stories and wanted to see an old-school pub. The pub shows its age, but in a good way. I could easily imagine it looking the same way 40, 60, perhaps even 80 years ago. The table we sat at was easily that old and likely older. My wife and I had a drink, soaked in the atmosphere and then went next door to the restaurant for dinner. The restaurant is much newer in appearance and serves an Irish tapas menu. I came in looking for the Dublin Coddle, and was glad that I tried it. It had ribs on the bone, sausages, potatoes and a nice broth with very good white bread on the side. The meat was tender and the sausages tasted like breakfast bangers that hadn’t been fried. The broth was very tasty with herbs used. I also had the Bailey’s Cheesecake which was lighter, like a mousse, and served with whipped cream. The service was very good. The cook gave us a sample of the Italian meatballs because my wife mentioned that I was Italian when the server was explaining the menu. She said that my grandmother had taught her how to make them and then he said that he had lived in Italy and could top that, so there was lively banter from the start. Both coddles, both desserts, a pint of Guinness and a long neck bottle of Bulmers were less than 32 euros, so the value was quite good too. I would definitely recommend Gravediggers for the history, the food or just a nice pint.

1 Thank Frank F
Goose Creek, South Carolina
“Good Meal”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We found this Pub when visiting Glasnevin. Good lunch menu. We shared the tapas of the day. We also had a toasted sandwich and soup with brown bread. Nice place to sit and have a quiet meal. Friendly staff also.