Tripadvisor
Dublin

“Used to be so much better”

Flanagans Restaurant
Reserve a Table
Fri, 2/21
8:00 PM
Ranked #494 of 3,267 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: American, Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A family-run business since 1980, we offer a warm welcome, excellent hospitality and great food at exceptional prices. Our main floor is home to our beautiful, Deco-inspired dining room, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Our outdoor seating offers Dublin’s premier spot to people watch on O’Connell street with a cup of our outstanding artisan coffee. Located on Dublin's main thoroughfare, O'Connell Street, site of the 1916 Easter Rising Flanagans was depicted in the two best selling books, Ordinary Decent Criminal and The Patriot Games by Tom Clancy
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

When here for family lunch, going to Flanagans over the past 35 years. Have to say staff were friendly but lacked attention to detail. We ordered just 3 mains, myself I ordered my chips crispy, I find in most restaurants the chips are never cooked properly. Actually we all had chips so I said to myself at least I'll know if mine are different, restaurant was less then half full. Lunch arrived, no difference with my chips, my brother even said so much for asking for them crispy! My beer battered fish was very uninspiring, my mothers well, she didn't finish it. we then ordered desert, 2 of them, both the same but one with ice cream and one with ice cream and custard, they got one right, the just ice cream one turned up with just fresh cream! Like I said no attention to detail. Then tea for 2 and we had to ask after 5 minutes for some milk! In this day and age of restaurants screaming out about overheads!!! You Need to get your offering right!!!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (1,275)

Reviewed January 14, 2020

Went to Flanagan’s for an evening meal with my girlfriend to round off our city break after reading some good reviews and recommendations. Unfortunately our visit did not live up to these expectations.. I ordered garlic bread for starters which came out with the bread tasting like it was still defrosting after being taken out of the freezer a couple of hours earlier before being heated to serve! My girlfriend ordered soup of the day (mushroom) which she enjoyed. For mains I ordered Chicken Kiev and unfortunately it came out with it seeming like I needed a hacksaw to get through the outer skin/breadcrumbs as it was particularly tough and unpleasant to chew. It was not how I would imagine a chicken Kiev to be served, however the salad was nice. My girlfriend ordered the Salmon which she usually enjoys on a regular basis, however on this occasion it came out tasting like it had been covered in salt.. probably to try to cover the awful taste! It’s appearance similar to that what you would expect for a school dinner. We were looking forward to ordering desserts after our meals, but due to the bad experience we asked for the bill and got well away from the place! The doughnuts we bought from across the road certainly made up for our disappointing evening!

Date of visit: January 2020
GuestManage, Guest Relations Manager at Flanagans Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello Dantheman246,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

We're sorry that the experience you had with us was not up to scratch, this is not a usual occurrence for us as you can see from previous reviews. Our menu is typically held in quite a high regard with visitors from far and wide, so we hope you might return to give it another try if you find yourself nearby.

If you would like to get in touch via DM to discuss this further we would be happy to do so.

Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

Super friendly staff.
The portions are huge. We have eaten typical Irish dishes and they were super delicious!
Highly recommended

Date of visit: January 2020
GuestManage, Guest Relations Manager at Flanagans Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2020

Hello FEH115,

Thank you for the awesome review and we appreciate the recommendation. We are delighted to hear that you found everything to your liking and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed January 11, 2020 via mobile

As always top class chicken wings are worth the travel from mullingar alne. Steak and roast of the day excellent as always

Hello Dartheboy,

Thank you for the lovely review and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the steak and roast of the day, one of the many wonderful food items on our menu that our customers are raving about. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed January 8, 2020

We arrived early (just before 7pm) in case the restaurant was busy, only to be told they were closing early and we could only order mains. Seemed a bit odd, but was fine with us. My husband had a pizza which he said was as good as recognised pizza restaurants (and it did look nice), I had the grilled salmon with vegetables - superb! Would have given it 5 stars if there had been a more ambient atmosphere, but it was closing early and nearly empty.

Date of visit: January 2020
GuestManage, Guest Relations Manager at Flanagans Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2020

Hello DFLThurrock,

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We always try our best to provide the best dining experience to everyone and we appreciate that you were able to have that. We look forward to your next visit!