“Come sail away”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Irish Ferries

Irish Ferries
Ranked #102 of 503 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Irish Ferries, Ireland's Leading Ferry Company. Offering up to 16 daily fast ferry and cruise ferry sailings to Britain & Ireland and France. Also package holidays to Ireland and Britain.
Traralgon, Australia
242 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 843 helpful votes
“Come sail away”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

There's tax free shopping available to wile away the time, but firstly you are mesmerised as you watch the coast disappear. It's quite exciting the first time you experience the ferry trip. Wi-Fi is available and there is food. Although the service on the ferry in the coffee store was barely able to be called service, I can say that the service in the tax free shopping was brilliant!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Crystalline4u

Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Excellent Ship and crew”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Went for a short break to France - Rosslare to Cherbourg on the Oscar Wilde.

What was great - had a lovely evening meal in the Berneval Restaurant with very keenly priced wine, good quality food and really great service. We also ate breakfasts there which were good too and well worth the money. We chose a three star cabin each way which suited our needs and was very clean and comfortable. Check in was swift and disembarkation was very quick as I had paid €10 for the speedy exit. I really reccommend paying the extra tenner for this as there is nothing worse than waiting on the upper car deck for forty minutes to drive off the ship.

What wasn't great - we booked the trip early as we were emailed a code for 10% off as we are good customers. This was a trick as once this offer was over the price reduced by 40%. I was extremely dissapointed the price dropped so much and when I queried this I was told that this was to entice new customers and I could not avail of these lower prices as I was booked in.

Our outbound sailing was delyaed by 24 hours, resulting in our short break being made even shorter. This was due to poor weather three days before we were due to go which knocked the schedule off. I was emailed and sent a SMS to notify me at this stage. There was no apology for this delay or any compensation of any kind - just a change of schedule. Whilst I know Irish ferries cannot control the weather - a gesture would have helped. Upon our arrival in Cherbourg they even announced that we were on time(no mention at all of being a full day late)! If we had chosen to travel by other means to France I am sure that compenstaion would have ben given.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank mp1904
Prestatyn
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Let down by extortionate food prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We travelled from Holyhead to Dublin for a long weekend with friends. We travelled as foot passengers leaving the car at the long term car park at the port (£7 per day). The Swift sailing we originally booked was cancelled due to weather so we were forced to take the slow boat. No problems there as the crossing was comfortable. Likewise our planned return 1430 hrs sailing aboard the Swift was also cancelled due to weather however, we were offered the 0845 Swift sailing which we accepted although it meant foregoing our hotel breakfast. Our only gripe with Irish Ferries is the extortionate food prices -€12.35 for a breakfast, YES €12.35 for one breakfast. I could go on but suffice to say we did not partake & not many passengers did from what we could see. Stena Line on the other hand are much cheaper at £7.75 for a breakfast. My advice is go to McDonalds in Holyhead - better food & much better coffee at a fraction of the price.

2 Thank Ray C
Dublin, Ireland
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing and very comfortable trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We traveled from Dublin to Holyhead on the Ulysses ship. The trip was amazing. There is a lot of entertainment on board. We have upgraded to Club level. The club lounge is very comfortable. The snacks choice is very reasonable. Employees very friendly and creating a sense of well-being!
Will choose Irish ferries next time!!!

1 Thank Anya18
Claremorris, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Ulysses- The best Ship on the Irish sea!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

We traveled over on the Elstion, our first time using it, i wouldn't bother again not a patch on Ulysses. Ulysses is so comfortable you don't feel that your on a ship. Food was fine a little on the expensive side but no complaints from us,our meals were tasty and we enjoyed what we had. Drinks were expensive €6.55 for a brandy and ginger ale was pricey!
The seating on Ulysses is very comfortable and their is plenty on it, it was quiet the day we traveled back to Dublin, the sea was about a force 7 ye hardly felt it due to the strong stabelisers.The Duty free on offer on board was very competitively priced and well worth a look.
WE will certainly be travelling Ulysses again, the most comfortable way to cross the Irish sea.