“Irish Ferries France”
Review of Irish Ferries

Irish Ferries
Ranked #101 of 546 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Irish Ferries, Ireland's Leading Ferry Company. Offering up to 16 daily fast ferry and cruise ferry sailings to Britain & Ireland and France. Also package holidays to Ireland and Britain.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have just done 3 trips aboard the Oscar Wilde to and from France. It is very slow, and the boat is badly in need of a makeover. I am sorry to say that it is beyond belief that it takes 18 hours to sail from Roscoff to Rosslare. It is dear, relative to Celtic Link, and slow relative to Brittany Ferries from Cork. I feel they have slowed down the ferry to save diesel.

I have used Irish Ferries for the last 20 years regularly, 5 times a year return to the UK and France. It is getting worse. I have booked my September return from France with Brittany Ferries.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

In Dublin go to the Bus Aras (Center bus station) for Bus Eireann. Be on the left side of the building, behind the ticket desk (not open this early). Be there waiting on the bus at 7:05 - 7:10; the bus just stops in the street (not in back like other buses). Ours was a double decker and left before 7:15. You can buy your ticket on the bus but have exact change 3 Euro. I bought my Irishferries online including a train ticket to London - great deal! Only 54 Euro including handling fee from Dublin to London Euston train station. Very quick (there was not a line) going through the line to board the ferry with printout for ferry ticket. We took the fast ferry, ride a free shuttle bus from the ferry port to the train station in Holyhead. Go to the Holyhead train ticket desk and they will give you a slip of paper with the platform and train information (if you purchased the ferry & train ticket). The train ticket lady was rude and hands you the paper and waves you away; she doesn't want to answer any questions. I am sure that since she deals with people from the ferry to the train everyday; she knows all the information is on the slip of paper. Yet if this is your first time you want to assure you have all the info you need. GREAT & CHEAP TICKET!

2  Thank john h
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Travelled on Oscar Wilde to France & back. The Ferry was modern (public areas) & anything you'd expect from 2 star cabin. The only serius minus is the housekeeping staff, which walk into my cabin with no knocking (while me using the toilet) to tell us we need to leave the cabin (I assume because don't know the language they're speaking) 2 hours before the docking!!! I understand they have tight schedule but a bit of maners! I've only booked a cabin due to travelling with small child and I had to sit with him on corridor full of people with lugagge for 2 hours!

3  Thank charmypet
Reviewed May 31, 2013

18 months ago now but still relevant is my experience of travelling back and forth to Dublin 8 times in 3 months. My husband was working on a short contract and staying at the Maldron, Cardiff Lane. Like a FOOL I kept going to Manchester Airport with all the grief that can entail and a full body scan EVERY TIME. Hours of waiting about and queueing and then the journey into Dublin centre from the airport. Then sense prevailed and I took the Jonathon Swift to Holyhead. It was so civilised! I drove through beautiful North Wales, stopping for lunch and was able to park my car at the door of the ferry terminal. I simply walked on board the swift and bought coffee, watched a film, didnt queue for a cramped airplane toilet, walked about as much as I pleased to stretch my legs and enjoyed a lovely journey. Short taxi ride on disembarkation straight to the hotel. Guess what... time wise about the same total overall travel time and an experience which just couldnt have been anymore of a contrast to flying! KEEP YOUR SANITY AND TAKE THE SWIFT! It's a mini-break in itself!

5  Thank juliejules2
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We recently used Irish Ferries (again). Using the Holyhead to Dublin crossing. We always find it efficient and a good way to travel to Ireland if you have to take a lot of luggage. The down side for us is that we live in Norfolk and usually break the journey in Cannock (about half way between us and Holyhead) then have a cabin so we can get another rest before our onward drive to the west of Ireland. However, I have to say that the staff are always helpful, not overly friendly but that's OK if they're polite. The restaurant/cafe is very pricey so I'd agree with the previous comments of bringing your own snacks/refreshments. We're travelling with them again later this year. It's a good way to get to Ireland if you're fed up with Ryanair.