“Never had a bad experience”
Review of Irish Ferries

Irish Ferries
Ranked #99 of 546 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Irish Ferries, Ireland's Leading Ferry Company. Offering up to 16 daily fast ferry and cruise ferry sailings to Britain & Ireland and France. Also package holidays to Ireland and Britain.
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We've been using the Oscar Wilde from Rosslare for years and never found it less than a pleasant and good value experience. We've also traveled from Cork with Brittany Ferries and the Oscar Wilde is the better vessel.

We mostly travel off-season which means much lower fares and it would be hard to get a better deal. Car, two passengers and a cabin each way for about €400. Cabins are comfortable and functional, although the higher price for Four Star does not seem worth it.

We almost always eat in the Berneval and although the most expensive, it is also the best value. Professional staff, comfortable surroundings and excellent food - with a good value wine list. By comparison the cafeteria style bistro and the snack bar are unattractive.

The cinema seems to cater mostly for teenage tastes and the shop is a bit tacky - garish souvenirs and over-priced drinks. There is now free wi-fi on board and that works well, at least with a less than full passenger load. TV has Irish and British channels only.

The staff are excellent - mostly Polish or Baltic contract crew who know their stuff and are a pleasure to deal with.

The ship can handle rough seas without a problem and never gets too rocky, even in a gale like yesterday's. All in all, a very enjoyable experience and way better value and more fun than many so called "budget" airlines.

3  Thank Gerry96

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I really cannot grumble ,this is only the second time we have travelled on the Oskar Wilde. We had a four birth two star with window cabin, it was clean in both directions. I agree with all that has been said about food prices and quality but I find most ferries are like this. One thing I was not so happy about was it was hard to find an Irish person working on board most seemed to be Polish and they murdered my warm expensive Guinness. It would be nice if Irish Ferries supported the Irish youngsters who, I understand from talking to the wonderfully friendly Irish people we met during our trip in Ireland, are having a really hard time finding work.

I felt safe and enjoyed the journey so I would book again next year.

2  Thank Richard P
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have been travelling to France, three times per year for the past two years. That converts to a number of crossings with Irish Ferries, Rosslare to Cherbourg and back. I have been progressively angry and frustrated at the continuing 'rip off ' of the restaurants and the bars on the 'Oscar Wilde'. The food on offer in the cafeteria style restaurant is produced from the cheapest ingredients, poorly cooked and at high prices. The menu does not seem to change. My latest trip yielded a green salad with a salad dressing made from a badly tasting, inferior vegetable oil - spoiled the salad and unbelievably tough chicken in the indifferent curry. The breakfast too, relies on the cheapest ingredients. Ireland has excellent sausages but the Irish Ferry offering bears no relation to these. Scrambled eggs were of a strange texture that I had never experienced before and I was unable to finish them.
I think I have tried most dishes on offer and all are expensive, poor and served on salad plates!
Bars were only able to offer one white wine by the glass, a Chardonnay, and this from a boat sailing to and from France!
Cabins are clean but mattresses are thin and only one very 'used' pillow is offered. I always ask for second pillows for my husband and myself. There have been broken and unusable soap dispensers in the cabin toilets during our last two sailings.
Staff are helpful and generally friendly and this boat has more entertainment features than the rival Celtic Link ferry. Other than that, I am certain that travellers with this company are being offered a poor deal. I would suggest the managers travel with Stena to understand what constitutes value, customer comfort and decent food.
We have just booked our next three trips with Celtic Link Ferries. We'll get basic and clean (based on previous experience) and pay a reasonable price for the trip.

1  Thank Kelbaert
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Travelled from Roslare to Cherbourg on the Oscar Wilde.

I felt the ship was a bit dated, the basic two star cabin was very dingy, these really need to be updated and cleaned.

The price of things on ship was a disgrace, €2.15 for a bottle of still water is sickening, it made me ashamed to be Irish watching French people buying these, been robbed by Irish Ferries.

The icing on the cake was The Left Bank Bistro, I ordered chicken in a red wine sauce, my girlfriend had a Chicken Korma. I am not exaggerating when I was this was the worst food we ever had in our lives. The Chicken in the Korma was like chewing leather. Complaints were met with blank stares. The cost of these two horrible meals was through the roof too.

Looking back I am so happy the crossing was choppy and stormy both ways - I spend most of my time sleeping.

Oh and the price of the pints in the bar is disgraceful too.

Overall terrible experience, I think Stenna Line provide a similar service, next time I will use them if I am planning a drive holiday in Europe.

4  Thank ZenStarry
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Traveled to France and back September 2012. Rosslare to Roscoff outbound and back from Cherbourg. We opted not to pay for priority disembarkation as we weren't in too much of a hurry going over and at €40 thought it was a bit dear. We ended up parking on the lower deck at the end of the ferry meaning that the were one of the first off so were delighted. On the way back we were on the upper deck and it took half an hour to exit the boat...guess it's pot luck! We had a 3 start cabin out an a 4 star coming back. To be honest, I thought that for an extra €50 I wouldn't bother with the 4 star again as the only difference was a free mini bar and fruit which we could have picked up before we left. I would recommend that if you have a travel kettle to bring it along with your own coffee to have in your cabin. The coffee on sale is coffee from machines that is weak and no better than instant. We had a really smooth crossing going over and what was described by the captain as a 'slight' crossing coming back...there was just the odd bit of movement. This gave us a really good nights sleep both ways. At all times I found the staff to be great from check in to disembarkation. As many of the reviewers have said, the restaurant on board is excellent, and needs to be booked as soon as the ship sets sail. I got there twenty minutes after we departed to book a table and there were limited times available. The food was of great quality, service was good and the wine prices were excellent. I am not really big into fried food and thought that the 'full Irish' breakfast we had on the way over was a bit much for me and wasn't of great quality in comparison to our evening meal. On the way back we opted for a continental in the self service restaurant which meant that we only paid for what we wanted. Thank you Irish Ferries for a lovely relaxing way to get to France! Last year we used Brittany Ferries, but actually found the cabins more comfortable on the Oscar Wilde and will be using Irish Ferries again next year.

1  Thank mp1904