“Constantly disappoints”
Review of Irish Ferries

Irish Ferries
Ranked #102 of 551 things to do in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Irish Ferries, Ireland's Leading Ferry Company. Offering up to 16 daily fast ferry and cruise ferry sailings to Britain & Ireland and France. Also package holidays to Ireland and Britain.
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have been travelling to France, three times per year for the past two years. That converts to a number of crossings with Irish Ferries, Rosslare to Cherbourg and back. I have been progressively angry and frustrated at the continuing 'rip off ' of the restaurants and the bars on the 'Oscar Wilde'. The food on offer in the cafeteria style restaurant is produced from the cheapest ingredients, poorly cooked and at high prices. The menu does not seem to change. My latest trip yielded a green salad with a salad dressing made from a badly tasting, inferior vegetable oil - spoiled the salad and unbelievably tough chicken in the indifferent curry. The breakfast too, relies on the cheapest ingredients. Ireland has excellent sausages but the Irish Ferry offering bears no relation to these. Scrambled eggs were of a strange texture that I had never experienced before and I was unable to finish them.
I think I have tried most dishes on offer and all are expensive, poor and served on salad plates!
Bars were only able to offer one white wine by the glass, a Chardonnay, and this from a boat sailing to and from France!
Cabins are clean but mattresses are thin and only one very 'used' pillow is offered. I always ask for second pillows for my husband and myself. There have been broken and unusable soap dispensers in the cabin toilets during our last two sailings.
Staff are helpful and generally friendly and this boat has more entertainment features than the rival Celtic Link ferry. Other than that, I am certain that travellers with this company are being offered a poor deal. I would suggest the managers travel with Stena to understand what constitutes value, customer comfort and decent food.
We have just booked our next three trips with Celtic Link Ferries. We'll get basic and clean (based on previous experience) and pay a reasonable price for the trip.

1  Thank Kelbaert

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Travelled from Roslare to Cherbourg on the Oscar Wilde.

I felt the ship was a bit dated, the basic two star cabin was very dingy, these really need to be updated and cleaned.

The price of things on ship was a disgrace, €2.15 for a bottle of still water is sickening, it made me ashamed to be Irish watching French people buying these, been robbed by Irish Ferries.

The icing on the cake was The Left Bank Bistro, I ordered chicken in a red wine sauce, my girlfriend had a Chicken Korma. I am not exaggerating when I was this was the worst food we ever had in our lives. The Chicken in the Korma was like chewing leather. Complaints were met with blank stares. The cost of these two horrible meals was through the roof too.

Looking back I am so happy the crossing was choppy and stormy both ways - I spend most of my time sleeping.

Oh and the price of the pints in the bar is disgraceful too.

Overall terrible experience, I think Stenna Line provide a similar service, next time I will use them if I am planning a drive holiday in Europe.

4  Thank ZenStarry
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Traveled to France and back September 2012. Rosslare to Roscoff outbound and back from Cherbourg. We opted not to pay for priority disembarkation as we weren't in too much of a hurry going over and at €40 thought it was a bit dear. We ended up parking on the lower deck at the end of the ferry meaning that the were one of the first off so were delighted. On the way back we were on the upper deck and it took half an hour to exit the boat...guess it's pot luck! We had a 3 start cabin out an a 4 star coming back. To be honest, I thought that for an extra €50 I wouldn't bother with the 4 star again as the only difference was a free mini bar and fruit which we could have picked up before we left. I would recommend that if you have a travel kettle to bring it along with your own coffee to have in your cabin. The coffee on sale is coffee from machines that is weak and no better than instant. We had a really smooth crossing going over and what was described by the captain as a 'slight' crossing coming back...there was just the odd bit of movement. This gave us a really good nights sleep both ways. At all times I found the staff to be great from check in to disembarkation. As many of the reviewers have said, the restaurant on board is excellent, and needs to be booked as soon as the ship sets sail. I got there twenty minutes after we departed to book a table and there were limited times available. The food was of great quality, service was good and the wine prices were excellent. I am not really big into fried food and thought that the 'full Irish' breakfast we had on the way over was a bit much for me and wasn't of great quality in comparison to our evening meal. On the way back we opted for a continental in the self service restaurant which meant that we only paid for what we wanted. Thank you Irish Ferries for a lovely relaxing way to get to France! Last year we used Brittany Ferries, but actually found the cabins more comfortable on the Oscar Wilde and will be using Irish Ferries again next year.

1  Thank mp1904
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Travelled to France in September for our 25th wedding anniversary so decided to treat ourselves to five star cabin on way out. Great experience, so we upgraded from two-star for the return journey. Staff incredibly friendly, which was great. Special word of thanks to Sharon in Rosslare Port office, who was extremely helpful. Thanks Sharon!

The food in the waiter-service restaurant was okay on the way out - wine in particular was good value - and superb on the way back - best lamb shank I've eaten. Menu slightly confusing - two (very similar) versions were available in our cabin, but only one actually available in the restaurant. Also, the price shown menu, 36.95, is for 3 courses and doesn't make it clear that you can choose 2 courses (starter/main or main/dessert) for 29.95 - quite a saving for two people and enough to cover a bottle of wine! Total cost was around 75 euro for two including wine and tea/coffee, and was good value for what we got, especially on the return journey on 17th September.

The cabin on the 8th deck was spacious with a really comfortable double bed and a sitting area. Carpets could do with deep-cleaning or replacing, otherwise cabin very clean. On the outward journey I noticed - by hitting against it, unfortunately! - that the glass coffee table had sharp corners and I didn't think this was a great idea on a swaying ship. Our cabin on the return journey had no table and the hostess said it had been removed because somebody hit against it (not me!). I'd suggest removing /replacing any of the coffee tables with sharp corners - I certainly wouldn't be happy having a small child near one.

Other than that, everything was excellent - I'll have to try and stretch to five star in future! Cost difference was about 195 euro per journey but that included breakfast (in cabin on outward journey, restaurant on return) which would normally be 15 euro a head, plus fruit, soft drinks and four small bottles of wine on each leg of the journey.

Total cost was somewhere around 700-750, which was very good taking into account hotel-standard room for two nights. Best sailing I've ever had - probably helped by calm seas and half-empty boat, but the staff played a large part in making it a good experience. Will be sailing with Irish Ferries again.

4  Thank 388MarianM
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked the suite and it was excellent and made our journey that bit more enjoyable. Facilities are great after paying the extra little bit you get coffee and wine and food all free.