“Not what it was advertised to be”

Hidden Dublin Walks & Tours
Ranked #99 of 268 Tours in Dublin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Visit Killybegs Harbour, and stop in Donegal Town where we visit the Castle and maybe try your hand at some handweaving! Swooping down from the mountain of Slieve League, it’s a staggering 609m (1,998 feet) drop into the swirling Atlantic Ocean below - and almost three times as high as the Cliffs of Moher!. Watch the actual walk footage from our Drone below on the tour.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Don't expect anything advertised on the website.
On the Hidden Dublin Walks website, this was supposed to be led by an actor in period dress portraying a Guinness worker in 1911. There is even a short video on the website showing this. Our guide was nice enough, and somewhat informative, but he was not entertaining and not in period dress. He didn't even try to portray a worker from 1911 or talk much about what life was like at that time. Plus, some of his information completely contradicting what I had heard earlier in the day on another tour, by a Trinity graduate with a Phd in history. I'm all for different interpretations of history, but there are some facts a guide should know - population stats, major employers - and this guy didn't know it. I would like a refund but don't know how to ask.

hiddendublinwalks, Public Relations Manager at Hidden Dublin Walks & Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2018

Hi

This specific tour is NO longer available to book. It is only available as a group private tour - as such it is now a specialised custom tour.
We would welcome the opportunity of inviting you to experience one our current walking tours - the Haunted History or Northside Ghost by contacting us directly

All reviews
"wonderful guide"
in 3 reviews
"excellent tour"
in 9 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"the pub"
in 76 reviews
"church"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had about 30 people on our historical walking tour, which was no surprise since it was Halloween night. I thought since I was alone in town, a ghost tour of Dublin would be a good way to spend the evening. Lots of people out in costume, the fact it was Halloween, cold and foggy weather and a dark night made for an interesting time. Our tour guide was a great story teller and very dramatic - she made everything more fun. I learned a bit about the history of Dublin, the history of the buildings and what life might have been like 400 years ago in the city, which to me was the best part of the tour and the main reason I went. Did we see any ghosts? Not that I know of, but there were some very uncomfortable spots in the old St Auden's gateway. Mostly, I learned a some history, got the lay of the land in the old town and thoroughly enjoyed the storytelling of our guide. It was a fun way to spend the evening.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The tour I was on went to the Hellfire Club Excursion, and along with the beautiful scenery, we were told many an interesting story about the less talked about history of Dublin. The history we were given was a great mix of fact and myth, with many a ghost story or an evening playing cards with the Devil mixed in between the truth of what happened in the area.

The tour includes a good bit of walking uphill, so make sure you wear comfortable shoes. It was also pretty windy at the top of the hill where the Hellfire Club is located. The view from inside the Hellfire Club is amazing, as well. We reached there at sundown, and I was able to watch the sun set over Dublin.

I highly recommend this tour for anyone interested in the darker side of the history of Dublin, or any fans of the paranormal.

1  Thank Derek F
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Disaster, booked this last year through Groupon.(No fault on Groupon's part) Brought an American Visitor by train from Midlands,walked to Christchurch. Waited,there were other visitors, a couple, teens and and several solo visitors. 12 people wondering if they were in the right place, waiting round etc., after travelling and buying tickets. No Guide showed up.(Only person to ask was Christchurch reception).They knew nothing about these tours. Advised us to ring Monday a.m. and complain.
I complained afterwards, no aploogy, or excuse was offered despite 3 phone calls and an e mail, nobody in authority bothered to offer any explanation.
Eventually( 2 weeks later) I phoned again, looking for a reason and a refund , and was told that the guide for the day had to attend a family funeral,( which I do not believe). If this was true, they had time to organise another guide,or make a phone call (they had our mobile numbers,also our e mail addresses). This was the worst customer service I have ever come across.

1  Thank UniverseIreland
hiddendublinwalks, Owner at Hidden Dublin Walks & Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Hi there, thanks for the review. Unfortunately though, none of our tours actually start from Christ Church. Please see our website for more information.