“Home away from home.”

Ranked #4 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
eire
“Home away from home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

Stayed at Almani while visiting a relation in Beaumont Hospital. Mary went out of her way to help me. Thanks Mary for the tea and chat every night you are wonderful.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Bloomfield, NJ USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2010

The owners were very friendly and helpful. They are mainly there to say hi when you check-in and out and offer advice when needed. They’ve outsourced all of the cooking and cleaning to a young woman. Check-in was a bit odd, since the owner was not home when we arrived, she left notes for us under a rock out front with an access code to get our key. Had this been my first b&b I would have felt a bit uncomfortable entering someone’s house like that, but it was nice that we didn’t need to wait for her to return. The room is modern in style and generally clean, though the floors looked like they hadn’t been swept in awhile and the garbage was never taken out during the 5 days we were there. The glasses in the room were also never cleaned. The shower was quite mildewy and gave the room a slight odor. The water pressure in the shower was good, but drainage was a problem. Within a minute of stepping in the shower, you are in ankle high water that threatens to overflow the shower base. It takes 10-15 minutes to drain once you stop, which means if there are multiple people in the room you either need to wait around between showers for it to clear or shower in someone else’s dirty water. The walls in the rooms were quite thin; you could hear the neighbors quite clearly and all of the buses/traffic passing in front of the house (and the road is quite heavily traveled). The room is VERY bright in the morning. The sun rose at 5:15am while we were there, so it started getting bright around 4:45am. The curtains were no help and we wound up using hangers in the room to put blankets over the windows in an attempt to darken the room. There is parking in front of the house, but it is a very tight squeeze when its a full house. There are a few odd house rules, namely no food in the rooms (though they offer use of the dining room up until 10pm if you do want to bring in takeout or snacks) and the water pressure is turned off every night at 10pm until morning. Breakfast is only served from 8am-9am and your order must be written on the paper in the hallway the night before along with what time you will be eating. The two biggest selling points for Almanii are they accept B&B vouchers and the location. There are 4 different bus lines that run into the city center within a block of the house. The ride is about 15 minutes and buses run fairly frequently. Bus fare is 1.80 euro and you need exact change. You can buy an unlimited ride day pass at the local supermarket (SPAR). It was 6 euro for a single adult, or you can get a “family pass” for 10 euro that allows you to use it for 2 adults plus up to 4 children at one time. The beds were comfortable, TVs were available in the rooms, though no tea/coffee in the room. Wireless internet is available in the rooms (though connection was flakey) and they have a shared computer with printer in the dining room for you to print out your boarding passes, etc.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank irishcolleen78
AlmaniiDublin, Owner at Almanii Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
I do regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. My aim is that all my guests leave satisfied.

Just to note, I do apologise for my lack of absence during your stay with us. Unfortunately due to my Father passing away before you arrived, I was not at home for your arrival and spent a lot of time with my mum and family during your visit. The few days of your stay here in our B&B were very stressful for me and I decided to ask a friend to help me out with the B&B. Please note I did not have an arrival time for you and as this is not a hotel we do not have a manned 24 hour reception.

The lady who helped me did her best at short notice, but I can understand why you would think this odd, maybe in hind sight I should have explained the situation to you, but I felt no need to burden my guests with my sad news.

I have operated a small B&B business for many years, which I enjoy immensely and I always hope that my guests leave satisfied. I have many guests that return year after year.
We in the B&B sector do not have full time staff, we do most of the work ourselves, we and our children live in the house, it is our family home, which is part of the charm of staying in a B&B and I am sure you can appreciate things crop up unexpectedly.

With regard to the issues with the shower I can assure you that the problems with the shower and curtains have since been rectified.

With regard to the odd house rules you mentioned, we ask guests to leave us their order for breakfast at the front desk for us, as it allows us to have their breakfast freshly cooked and ready for them when they get up the next morning (this is not an unusual request in many B&B's). Most of our guests are on a short break and are anxious to get up and out to see Dublin. I have never had a complaint from a guest with regard to this. If they choose not to do so that is fine too.

Secondly, we don't allow guests to have food in the rooms, again not unusual in most B&B's, as from experience, curry sauce..etc...ends up on the bedclothes, which then have to be thrown out. We do offer the dining room to our guests if they wish to have takout food during their stay and obviously it is also a lot more comfortable for them to eat at a table. Unlimited Tea/Coffee is available also in our dining room all day.

With regard to the car parking, we have ample room to park 6 cars comfortably, FREE OF CHARGE. Also we provide a PC and printer free of charge to our guests and have Wifi....my apologies if you lost the signal at times during your stay, but the PC in the dining room is readily available for use. WIth regard to the water pressure being turned off, this does not mean you cannot have a shower, it just means the water pressure is not as strong as we turn the pumps off at 10pm. We do like to conserve energy when and where we can.

My home is not a Hotel. I accommodate my guests needs to the best of my ability and I believe from my guests comments book that I do a good job. My home is warm, comfortable, clean,safe and secure and I try to give as much time as is possible to my guests while looking after my family's needs also.

Normally if a problem arises I rectify it immediately and had I known and had I been there during your stay I would have done so. For this I sincerely apologise but it was due to an unexpected circumstance.
I do hope the next time you visit Dublin you will stay with me again, under different circumstances you would definitely enjoy your stay at my home.

Kind Regards
Mary O'Leary
Roma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

We spent 4 nights at Almanii B&B and we recommend it for the kindness and hospitality of Mary, the nice and clean rooms, the good and abundant breakfast!
Besides, it is not far from city centre and from airport, in a quite area and we had the sensation to be at own home!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

The room was very nice and clean but the room was on the front of house so had lots of traffic noise and room didn't have room darkening curtains. Internet worked well. Impossible to find, at the end of one way street, you have to go past, over, and in a circle to get back to front of house. Parking is a very small area. There is a nice pub, deli and grocery store within a minute walk. Host were nice and we had a good breakfast.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Brussels
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2009

We stayed the first and last night of our Ireland trip at Almanii B&B. It was a great stay and we got lots of good tips for food, and what to see. Will definately come back next time we are in Dublin. It truly felt like a home away from home. And I love their dog, she is so funny:-)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2009

This B&B was functional, but certainly nothing to write home about. The owners were wonderful people and embraced us into the family...so much so that we felt as though we should offer to do the dishes afterward. Location wise, it was great for easy access to the airport and into the city center. The beds were comfortable enough, but the room was very, and I mean very cold.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank holsva
Nyon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

We spent two nights at Almanii and can only recommend it for the hospitality of Mary and Padraig, the nice rooms, and the delicious breakfast.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family