“very disappointing”

Mao Dun Laoghaire
Ranked #1,689 of 2,558 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Catch some fire in one of our newly refurbished Mao restaurants - Dublin's favourite Thai/Asian restaurant chain. Our chefs are dedicated to the art of Asian cuisine and their dedication ensures that all our dishes are prepared using only 100% Irish beef, the freshest of ingredients and keeping our cooking MSG and virtually fat free!
Dublin, Ireland
“very disappointing”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We (husband and I) went to Mao last weekend and had the pre-theatre 3 course dinner for 20.00 euro. The choice is very limited (2 options for starters and 4 for mains and only one pud!) One of the starter options, spring rolls, were not available so that left the chicken satay. It was fine but nothing wildly exciting. The main courses were just ok but heavy on the rice and noodles with very little meat. Neither were particularly spicy and my noodles were distinctly gloopy. The service was dreadfully slow. We told them at the beginning that we had to be out in an hour but there was no hurry at all and we had to leave without our third course. The staff were not managed at all and many people who stuck their heads in the door to inquire about tables were ignored and eventually left. There was also food remains on the floor and no attempt to clean up. I would never go there again and would not recommend it to anyone. Very poor value for money.

• Visited September 2012

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great meal-deal!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Mao had been recommended by family members and they were so right in their positive comments. We turned up at about 7.15pm to an already busy restaurant and were seated without delay. We chose from the early bird menu (valid until 7.30 pm) which offers a limited but adequate choice of 3 courses + tea/coffee for 20 euros. We both had the sate chicken skewers which had a nice kick and were served with a pickled cucumber relish, which this lifelong cucumber-hating diner just adored! (Where can I get the recipe for that stuff?). I then had the Green Thai Chicken Curry: I could have taken a bit more spice but it was still really enjoyable. My wife had the Pad Thai Noodles (it was no problem to order it minus the prawns) which she pronounced V.G. Simple desserts: delicious vanilla ice cream in one case and nice chocolate fudge cake (with ice cream) in the other did not disappoint. And it was great to have the tea or coffee included in such a menu. One thing to watch out for is the 5% service charge - but I certainly didn't begrudge it: our waitress was both friendly and efficient. We really enjoyed Mao and would happily, indeed enthusiastically, dine there again.

• Visited August 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“authentic, tasty meals!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We went to Mao in Dun Laoghaire and were really starving by the time we arrived! Decided to try the lunch deal for about 8 euros. This seemed cheaper than the other restaurants in the same area and we had seen a Mao in Dublin but not managed to try it. The place was pretty busy and the wait staff seemed a bit stressed. We were shown to a table and it took a while before someone came to take our order. We had prawn crackers to share and my husband got the Hong Kong chicken while I had the Thai green chicken curry. I wanted the Singapore beef noodles but they had unfortunately run out of beef - what a shame! And not really something that should be allowed to happen in a restaurant! When the food eventually arrived, they were piping hot and very tasty and authentic!! The portion was average and I would have liked a bit more as we were so hungry, but it did fill us up!! I have eaten in chains such as Wagamama and Tampopo where the food hasn't been particularly authentic and Mao was a nice surprise. If I remember correctly, there was a mandatory service charge applied of about 5% which is not something we are used to especially when the service was fairly average. The food in Mao was really good despite the slow service and is definitely recommended for those wanting a taste of Asia!!

• Visited August 2012
horsham
“Excellent fixed lunch”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We were visiting from Dublin and wanted a quick lunch before returning to Dublin.
The restaurant had a set lunch for €9.95 which included a beverage or a small lager.
The service was excellent and the food was served very quickly and both meals were full of flavour and very filling.
As the day was warm we were able to sit outside on the decking and watch the world go by.

• Visited June 2012
Blackrock, Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I visit this Mao weekly as its just down the road from where I work. So I visit for lunch and at lunch time they off the lunch bowl menu which is a choice of 5 main courses and a drink for just under a tenner.

The choice is a bit limited at only 5 dishes, but I've tried all and each one is very nice, good sized and definitely value for money. The honey sesame chicken or the mini nasi goreng being the pick of the bunch.

The restaurant itself is very nice, large and spacious with a nice design, it also has an outdoor area out the front overlooking the pier which is nice on a warm day.

The service can be very hit and miss during lunch time, sometimes it's excellent, sometimes it's not, sometimes we can be left waiting for coffee for a long time, on occasion we've had to leave to go to insomnia down the road due to poor service, but most of the time it's fine.

Definitely a great option for lunch, I've also been in the restaurant in the evening for a full meal and highly recommend it, the food is very very nice and offers great value for money. With a bit more staff training the place would get a rating of 5.

• Visited June 2012