An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies
Ranked #1 of 71 Concerts & Shows in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience an enchanting evening of Irish folklore,storytelling and music while enjoying a candlelit traditional Irish dinner in Dublin's oldest Pub, The Brazen Head. Sit back , relax and let our renowned storytellers take you into a world of the imagination with wonderful insights and magical tales of Irish life in times past.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Almancil, Portugal
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Only Ok”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We booked our night online with their online booking system and when we arrived on the night we were told that it wasnt on and they were sorry but it was moved to the next day and that they would give us a drink each with our dinner :/
The next day we went and I must say we were disappointed.
The room was very full, hot and stuffy with really bad acoustics. There was a group of high school Danish kids (around 20 of them) and they made a lot of noise. My husband and I could hardly hear each other talking.
When the hostess started talking everyone was quiet, so we did get to hear her.
From the description that they gave we expected to hear folklore and stories but instead we were give a history lesson about Irish life and general history of the country. There was only 2 short (1min) stories she actually told us and she only sang one song.
During the main course there was two musicians that came and played music for us which was really nice and entertaining.
The food was basic, didnt look appetizing at all and was not really my cup of tea.
I wouldnt recommend this evening to anyone, best keep your money and spend it on a nice dinner at a proper restaurant.

Visited March 2014
foodfolkandfairies, Owner at An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the evening with us.

I will admit the room was a little fuller than normal as we had the university group of students and it may have seemed a bit loud but most of the time the room is a mix of individuals and couples coming in to hear great folklore and stories in an intimate setting above Dublin's oldest pub.

The evening is trying to share the history of the Irish people through their fascinating folklore and this is all mixed in with stories. the final part of the night is completely dedicated to the storytelling culture and stories.

I am sorry you were not happy with the food but it is meant to be simple and wholesome reflecting the diet of Irish people in times past.

My apologies again for the error in not letting you know that the night was not going ahead the night before and thank you for your understanding with regard to this. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Dublin.

• Greek first
Owasso, Oklahoma, United States
“Irish night of stories”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This was a fabulous night, we enjoyed Helena's stories and songs very much. It was interesting to learn about the Irish folklore. What an amazing trip and to end it there was absolutely spectacular!

1 Thank Tracy C
Albany, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Real Taste of Irish History!”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Held at the Oldest Pub in Ireland, "An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies" was an excellent introduction to Irish History, helping us understand the Irish culture today. Dinner is included and the food was delicious. They had a variety of options, including Classic Irish fare. Drinks are available for purchase separately from the cost of the entry and meal. Johnny, the narrator, gave a brilliant introduction to what the night would entail. He regaled us with stories of the Irish past, both fiction and non-fiction. He was absolutely captivating and by the end we were all sitting at the edge of our seats waiting for more. We being a 19-year old girl, two 22-year old girls, a 23- year old boy, a 26-year old couple, and a 58-year old man. I couldn't believe how entertaining it was! The tales we're put on pause to give us time to eat and chat with each other, so it was the best of both worlds. Then they had a couple of musicians come in and play Classic Irish tunes. They were hysterical and we were all clapping and singing along. I would recommend this for ANYONE! It was my favorite thing we did in Dublin!

1 Thank Lazz0
“A Perfect Irish Experience”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

A young couples first trip to Dublin looking for a traditional Irish night. This evening of storytelling did not disappoint! Every section from the food to the musical accompaniment is well thought out to give you a great feel of what Irish life is like. Johnny is a fantastic storyteller, who captures your attention from the start. Would fully recommend this night to anybody visiting Dublin!

Austin, Texas
“Highlight of our trip!”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

You will not regret this experience. The food was fantastic (and I'm a picky eater), the venue historical and the music was fun and interactive. Johnny the story teller is instantly engaging and intelligent, every tidbit is thoughtful and inspiring.

1 Thank Gena C