“Enjoyable evening. Room too crowded.”

An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies
Ranked #4 of 77 Concerts & Shows in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience an enchanting evening of Irish folklore,storytelling and music while enjoying a candlelit traditional Irish dinner in Dublin's oldest Pub, The Brazen Head. Sit back , relax and let our renowned storytellers take you into a world of the imagination with wonderful insights and magical tales of Irish life in times past.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked this event in advance months before we visited. I was very much looking forward to it. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Irish folk songs and the singer/storyteller were incredibly captivating and interesting. They really caught your attention.

The food was OK. I would give it 6.5/10. The main of Irish Stew was incredibly tasty but the starter and dessert were quite mediocre.

After paying around £40 per ticket though, I would have liked some more room at the table. We were placed on a circular table and I could barely move my elbows for fear of hitting the person next to me (I am a size 10 UK, so do not take up much room.) There was barely space to put your drink down. 12 people crammed around a circular table made for a very uncomfortable sitting. The tablecloth was also stained which gives a poor impression.

Overall a very captivating evening full of interesting stories, but made uncomfortable by so many people being crammed on to tables.

6  Thank Laura H
foodfolkandfairies, Owner at An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

I am delighted you enjoyed the evenings entertainment. I am sorry you felt a little crowded. The intimacy of people being close together in a small room listening to folklore and stories is what guests seem to really enjoy about the night .

The food is meant to be simple but tasty reflecting the diet of Irish people in times past. Thank you for your comments though and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Ireland.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,456)
All reviews
"irish stories"
in 42 reviews
"wonderful stories"

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I really enjoyed my evening with Ollie. His storytelling, singing and humor was great and kept us captivated the entire evening. I was traveling alone, and they did a great job putting me at a table with other solo travelers. The food was good, my only complaint was the beverage service. It was very sporadic and not very friendly. Overall, it was a highlight of my trip and I recommend as part of your Dublin experience.

2  Thank JessBurm
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We decided to have an evening at the Brazen Head to listen to the stories and music of the "hidden Irish" based upon the TripAdvisor reviews.

Although the food was typical pub fare, the real reason to do this evening is for the phenomenal performance by Ollie. He very clearly loves his job, and truly does it well. We were told about the normal Irish folk and their lives, with songs and asides peppered throughout the performance.

It was an excellent time, and would thoroughly recommend to everyone who has an evening in Dublin.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This evening program combines a fine meal at an ancient Dublin pub with a superb one-man show. Ollie was both entertaining and a wealth of historical information. His stories were poignant and his Irish folk songs were a ton of fun. Dinner was delicious and interesting as we dined with visitors from around the world. All in all a very nice introduction to Ireland. Book in advance!