“Wonderful atmosphere, lovely food”

An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies
Ranked #1 of 72 Concerts & Shows in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience an enchanting evening of Irish folklore,storytelling and music while enjoying a candlelit traditional Irish dinner in Dublin's oldest Pub, The Brazen Head. Sit back , relax and let our renowned storytellers take you into a world of the imagination with wonderful insights and magical tales of Irish life in times past.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Always eat fish while visiting the highest pub in Ireland. Quite strange, actually, but true. I've been here many times 20 years ago, and was a little sceptical now that it is so popular among tourists. Afraid that some of the wonderful atmosphere was lost. Not to worry, though. Generous, well composed portions of food. We also had a magician visiting our table, just for fun, and a band i the main room. There's always someone playing. Love it!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,275)
All reviews
in 64 reviews
"irish stories"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I guess because of the reviews, I was expecting it to be amazing. It being an entertaining yet not amazing time of my life, I was a tad disappointed. It was well attended on a Thursday night. The wait staff was good. The food alright- nothing to write home about. Our storyteller was a young woman from Kilkenny who also works in the National Leprechaun Museum. She had a beautiful voice. All in all it was interesting and fun for our last night in Ireland. I had been waiting to hear traditional Irish music the entire trip, so for this alone the 150 euro for our family was worth it!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I booked this evening dinner for our first full day in Dublin for two reasons - 1. I thought it would be a great introduction to Irish culture and stories and start to our trip, and 2. It would save us from having to find a place to eat that first night (my friend and I find choosing a pub particularly hard - so many choices!)

It was a really lovely evening! We enjoyed the music and story-telling very much. The food was plentiful and though the drinks were not included, the Baileys and coffee was fabulous. I suspect if you are familiar with Irish stories already this evening will not hold the same draw for you, but as someone with limited exposure to Irish culture it was a fun-filled, relaxing evening.

The service was very good as well.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We spent Sunday evening in the company of Olly. He was lovely warm Irish and enthusiastic, but what a shame the same could not be said for the food, which was cool and very average. The two musicians got a little peeved that we did not join in but if you are going to play and sing the Irish classics perhaps it would be better if you played the tunes that everyone knows the classics by? All in all I felt as if we had been painted a stereo typical evening, what a shame.

1  Thank chattycathy22
foodfolkandfairies, Owner at An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Hi Kathy, while I am delighted you enjoyed the entertainment with Ollie , I am sorry to hear that you felt the food was cold and will address this with the kitchen . We always try to ensure the food is hot as well as wholesome.

I am also sorry to hear that you felt the musicians were a bit pushy about getting you to join in with songs you did not know as this is the first time I have heard this comment and will also look into it . the last thing we want is for the evening to feel like a stereotypical Irish night as we have worked hard to make it a more unique cultural Irish experience that takes you into the mystical unseen world of the Irish imagination .

Thank you for your comments and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in in Dublin.