“We must have got him on a bad night”

An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies
Ranked #1 of 71 Concerts & Shows in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience an enchanting evening of Irish folklore,storytelling and music while enjoying a candlelit traditional Irish dinner in Dublin's oldest Pub, The Brazen Head. Sit back , relax and let our renowned storytellers take you into a world of the imagination with wonderful insights and magical tales of Irish life in times past.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Canberra, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“We must have got him on a bad night”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Our 10 month old son was having a good laugh along with the rest of the crowd when we were asked to leave. I can understand if he was crying or making a fuss but their approach to us was out of line.

Up until then we had been very welcome with our son every where else in Ireland.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Matthew M
foodfolkandfairies, Owner at An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
First of all l can I say that I am really sorry that you left the evening angry and that it left you with a bad memory of an otherwise enjoyable time in Ireland . We always want our guest to leave the night feeling that they have has a pleasant time with us.

When you did arrive with your baby boy I was a bit surprised as this was not mentioned in your booking and on the booking form it states very clearly next to the box you need to fill in with number of children that the evening is not recommended for children under 5yrs old. This is also stated again further down the same page.

As a father of 4 children myself I love to have children come in and see the night and welcome many children to the evening throughout the year. However we find that for any child under 5 and especially a small baby it is difficult for them to remain quiet for an extended period of time and this ends up distracting other guests while the talks are taking place.

This is why I had to mention this to you on arrival. During the first talk your son let out a few enthusiastic sounds and although some guest were looking over at him I was happy to leave it be as I hate asking anyone to leave the room. It is embarrassing for you and for me. However when I started the second talk your son was beginning to make a bit more noise and I think started banging something on the table. I could see that some of the guests were becoming irritated as it was affecting their ability to focus on the talk . I hope you can understand that my responsibility is for everyone in the room to enjoy the night and so I had to ask you to take your son out of the room.

We have had families with very young children in before and they usually have informed us beforehand . We have then been able to explain the situation and if their child does become distracting they have been fine with taking them out of the room.

Once again I am sorry that you felt you had a bad experience with us but I hope you can also understand our responsibility to the rest of our guests .

• Greek first
Berlin, Germany
“Pure Magic!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was only in Dublin for the weekend meeting with an old friend and wanted to find a special way to celebrate her 30th birthday. We didn't really know what to expect and tried to go into the evening with a completely open mind. Our host for the evening was Ollie, who is an incredibly engaging and hilarious story teller- not to mention a quite gifted musician. The history and stories were told to us as though they were delicate secrets being passed down, which made my friend and I feel quite touched.. as though we had been trusted with some rare and precious jewels. The food was delicious and they had a nice selection to choose from. I'm vegetarian and a bit picky but I was pleased. Overall the evening was completely unforgettable and I am so thankful for our host Ollie! If you ever have a chance to experience An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies- go! It will exceed any expectation.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Perfect for a 'beginners' guide to Dublin!”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Booked this with my partner based on the good Tripadvisor reviews.
It was our first trip to Dublin and whilst we very much enjoyed Temple Bar and the Irish songs we didn't know much about them or the history. This evening was a perfect introduction. Inbetween courses our host Ollie was very captivating and kept all interested in his stories of Irish folklore and the history behind their love of music and belief in fairies etc.I must add the stories were interesting and enjoyable without going on for too long or becoming boring.
At the end he sang some of Irelands/Dublins most famous songs and got us all to participate. We especially appreciated this because on the following nights in Temple Bar we recognised some of the songs and were able to join in and enjoy them even more.
Highly recommended for the beginning of your trip to Dublin, especially if its your first time!

York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fantastic evening”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Booked this event on our visit to Dublin for my partner's birthday. We were not let down after reading trip advisor reviews. Great evening. Olly entertained us for the evening with his stories of the Irish. It is a lovely accent. The room was cosy and we were sat on a table with Scots, Americans and Canadians who were all very friendly. Food was good and was served in a well organised way. Olly narrating throwing in witty verses, & he also had a lovely singing voice , to an organised schedule with food served to coincide with his short breaks.

McAlpin, Florida
“Food, fun and fairies”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had a wonderful experience listening to tales of Ireland; the food was very good as well. A very nice evening

Visited October 2012