“Poor drink”

Ranked #434 of 2,640 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Halfway House has been a popular establishment for over eighty years. Over the years it has been modernised to the highest standards of traditional decor including open fireplaces, function room and restaurant.The Halfway House is famous throughout north Dublin area for its friendly atmosphere, its efficient and courteous staff and its high quality carvery food.The Mulberry Restaurant is open Wed-Sat for A La Carte & early bird menu. On Sundays we serve Lunch and A La Carte.
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Visited the pub tonight.Good service but seriously poor drink. I started with a pint of Beamish at €4.20 which is dear for that drink by comparison.The pint was sour and watery.I changed to Guinness at €4.75 a pint and same result. After that it was a lukewarm Smithwicks.I have had similar experiences in the Halfway House before and will not be returning for a drink to that pub.

2  Thank RevueDublin
There are newer reviews for The Halfway House & Mulberry Restaurant

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We were on honeymoon in Dunboyne and stopped here for dinner on the second night both my husband and I had steak on the stone. Husband being a farmer actually said this is the best steak I have ever eaten, so impressed went back again fabulous friendly staff so welcoming xx

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Came here with my partner recently and had a meal a three course meal in the restaurant.

We both had the soup of the day to start with and found it delicious. The soup was mixed vegetable and was blended well to have a creamy but light texture.The accompanying homemade bread really complemented the soup. I had to stop myself from filling up too early in the meal as it really was exquisette.

For the main I had the 8oz Fillet Steak with chips and pepper sauce. This is my usual order when eating our but I found the Halfway's Steak a cut above the rest (Pun intended).
The Steak was well presented and accompanied by mouthwatering fried onions. My partner who would admit to being picky had the oven roasted supreme of chicken. Her usual complaint with this dish in other places is that it is soggy or greasy. This was certainly not the case in the Halfway as she ate every bite and was already planning to return for more before we'd left. The Chips accompanying the meal were chunky and cooked to perfection. A pet hate of mine is when you get stringy Mcdonalds style chips in restaurants. The chunky style chips tasted delicious and are something all future chips should aspire to.

For desert we shared the warm apple crumble... my biggest regret was that I did not order my own as it truly was amazing... I'm not usually a desert lover but this was truly heavenly. Being chivalrous I allowed the mrs to have the lions share of the dessert but this is not a mistake I will be repeating when we return.

The staff were helpful and pleasant throughout without ever being overbearing. The manager on duty was also attentive and went out of her way to assure the customers needs were met.

Overall I would highly recommend the Halfway House and The Mullberry Resturaunt for anyone who loves food and a nice night out.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Visted here last Sunday the 1st of September with a group of my friends. The five of us live locally and chose here for our Sunday dinner. I'm delighted we did. All five of us were very impressed with our meal and the service we received. I had the steak on the stone and can't fault it one bit. It was delicious. The rest of my friends went for the cod and the pork belly options. None had any complaints and they cleared their plates. It was nice because the group of us got to sit and chat and we didn't feel rushed after the meal. Only one tiny negative fault with the service, as its quite dim in the restaurant the server never replaced our candle when it ran out. But saying that overall it was a fantastic Sunday meal and I can safely say I shall be back again. It also has a brillant smoking area at the back of the restaurant . Its specifically for the restaurant goers and separate from the lounge and bar smoking areas. I also love the decor inside the restaurant! Delighted to find somewhere local that offeres great food with very friendly waiting staff.

1  Thank Noleen L
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Came for dinner by myself, was treated like a weirdo, tall dark haired waitress got my order wrong, fake pleasantries... wont be back

1  Thank tonythetige