“Poor” 2 of 5 bubbles

Douglas and Kaldi
Ranked #1,254 of 2,528 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Cafe, Irish, European
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dublin
“Poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

I ate in the Douglas and Kaldi Cafe in Dundrum Town Centre with a work colleague yesterday. We were disappointed. First, there was a deal whereby you could order two courses at a lower price. I ordered a starter and main course, my friend a main and a dessert, but we specifically asked if my starter and his main could arrive at the same time and likewise for the next course so no-one would be hanging around. We were told this would be no problem. Surprise surprise - it was. No sign of his main at all while I ate my starter and in fact both of our mains arrived at the same time. We weren't impressed. My bruschetta starter was on stale bread and the tomatoes were practically flavourless. The burgers we ate were also uninspiring. The only reason I've given it two stars was the friendly attitude of the waiters, but that wouldn't be enough to persuade me to return.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Dublin, Ireland
“A surefire way to get kids to trade screen for bike ride”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

A surefire way to get young kids to walk away from the screen and trade it for a bike ride is the promise of a treat at Douglas and Kaldi at the end of it. And with a menu that clearly sets out to satisfy a range of palates, from snackers to those in search of a good feed, or extended brunch, you should find something to please everyone.

The staff are very attentive and friendly and there's none of that low-murmur of disapproval that sometimes meets young kids in eating places, the one that says, we'll tolerate you, but only because it's illegal not to (I had a recent experience in a city centre place where two members of staff actually carried out a conversation a few paces from me where they openly derided children, and I was in the company of two. Who were actually behaving themselves). The policy at D&G's is clearly, welcome all, make them feel looked after, and they'll come back. And we do.

I've never eaten there at night and possibly because of its daytime associations wouldn't be drawn to, but the setting is lovely and I could certainly imagine it transforming nicely into an intimate nighttime restaurant.

Visited April 2013
Dublin
“Lovely Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I love this restaurant for brunch! I usually eat in the one in Dundrum Shopping Center. Recently I tried the one in Ashtown and it is equally as nice. Food is really good and staff are friendly.

• Visited March 2013
“Spot on”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Went there for mothers day and i really enjoyed Nice atmosphere nice food and good service cosy spot to go for casual day out .ill come back again

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Clane, Ireland
“Breakfast but no coffees.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Nice for breakfast but got the feeling the waiter wanted us to eat and leave.Breakfasts arrived but ten minutes later had to remind waiter re coffees and juices.Good selection of breakfasts and reasonably priced.Pity about the pushy waiter.