“Great Location, but a bit of a tired hostel”
Review of Abigails Hostel

Abigails Hostel
Ranked #7 of 120 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed February 25, 2013

It is in a fantastic central location that is hard to beat! The staff were welcoming and friendly and I had a good bunch of people to stay with

I think Abigails Hostel would have been an amazing hostel in its prime. Unfortunately the building seems a little tired and in need of a major uplift. While we were making our beds a hairball fell out of one set of sheets and tissues out of two others...In the common area the tables were always filthy (usually egg shell) and the couches need a bit of maintenance. The bathroom in the shared mixed dorm was pretty unclean with mould all underneath the shower grate and hair everywhere. But that is what you expect from a budget hostel I guess.

The only thing that REALLY annoyed me was the silly key system. We were given 1 key between the 4 of us. Which is fine. When you leave, you leave the key at reception. That all worked really well, except when you go out and return at different times. The key is given to the first person and then the door has to be opened by the receptionist for the other 3. The receptionist told myself that they would be 'expecting me'. I don't think after a few pints that anyone is 'expecting' anyone once they are asleep. So not only was I made to walk up to my room and knock on the door. I had to go back down to reception to get him to open it for me. (which he had to do 2 more times!) They would really cut out so much work if they just had a different key system and not a silly slip of paper!

All-in-all I had a good stay in the heart of Dublin!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Abigails Hostel

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've been to several hostels in Spain and Portugal but this hostel in Dublin was disappointing. We paid 26 euros for a female dorm and our first night a party was brought into our room and a male ended up passing out in one of the beds. A staff member came up to try to remove him but wasn't successful. Breakfast was normal for a hostel. The sheets were dirty, full of hair (like we had seen in other reviews), the key system was strange (you have to keep track of a piece of paper to get back in), the hostel seemed very old and lacked personality or design. The only thing that was great was the location. I recommend looking around for other hostels outside of this area because Dublin is very small.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked a 9 night stay here after reading reviews on here and a few other sites. I mainly chose this because of the overall ratings by guests, location in Dublin, WiFi, & breakfast. This was my first stay in a hostel. I found this to be a great experience and method of saving some $$$ while on vacation. I had booked a 6 person (3 bunk bed room) for my stay. I had it to myself until the weekend, I had arrived on a Sunday. The en-suite shower was fine and had ample hot water the tub was a bit narrow but worked. All of the staff I encountered were helpful and friendly and quick to assist if needed. The lobby/lounge/common area can get loud during busy times but is a great size. There are ample places to plug in if you need to charge your phone or laptop. Television, vending, and lockers are found here as well. In the morning you can get breakfast (toast, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, coffee, cereal). I missed most of the breakfast due to early morning tours I had. I felt safe and secure in this location. Right outside the hostel entrance are many different bus lines. O'Connell st & bridge are a short walk. Temple Bar area a short walk in the other direction. Staying here puts you right in the middle of it all and I would think this central location helps you to better get out and explore Dublin. There is a kitchen that you may use if that is your preference, people were leaving messes and not picking up after themselves so I heard there might be some changes to come there. Right down the street is a Supervalue market where you can get groceries and or necessities.

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor with a great view outside of the river liffey. Some street noise but not to b...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The location is pretty much in the heart of Dublin, walking distance to everything! (saves you a whole lot of money on transportation) I stayed with a friend in a 6 person female dorm for New Years, which was worth it being able to meet everyone. The hotel staff were really great & helpful. The shower & sheets were a little sketch but if you can get past that then this hostel is definitely worth your buck! If you are budgeting your trip food wise, to save for drinks (haha), there is a grocery store a few buildings down! I would definitely stay in this hostel again if I am in Dublin! Just an overall good experience.

Room Tip: Sharing a room with others will really enhance your stay in Dublin!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This place is the epitome of a European hostel. Dublin was the first and last stop on our 6 week European vacation, and we chose to come back to Abigail's on our second time through the city. The location is perfect. It's a walk away from Temple Bar, O' Connor's street, etc. Dublin proper can be seen by walking in a couple of days stay anyways, and Abigail's is in the perfect location for that.

The first night we were getting off the plane after 2 back to back red eyes and no sleep, so we stayed in a private room. It was perfect and clean. The second time around we stayed in a group room and still had no problems.

Breakfast was a great bonus. Nothing more than toast, hardboiled eggs and cereal, but that's all one needs if one is about to make the most of the day and go see the city.

Only complaint would be that wifi was a little spotty in the lobby during the day.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Abigail's Hostel for New Year's Eve wanting to ring the year in in Dublin, and ending a three month European tour.

Abigail's is in the heart of it all. It sits right off a beautiful canal that runs thru the city. It's walkable distance from Jameson factory, the Guiness factory, the Dublin castle, and best of all Temple Bar area.

The rooms are nice and average of a hostel room. I had a all female six bed room. Spacious enough but what stood out the most was the bathroom. The showers are actual showers, where you have to step into a tub, and a nice size at that. Makes taking a shower a lot more enjoyable. The bathroom are nice decent size and you don't feel cramped in while trying to get ready.

They have a free breakfast that last a long time so it's good for early birds and birds who like to sleep in a bit longer.

There is a full shared kitchen, and a handful of grocery stores around the area for those really wanting to budget.

Staff was helpful. They provide the sheets for you, but just check then before taking them. I had to turn mine in twice due to loose hair from someone else still on the sheets and blankets.

Lounge area has a good atmosphere for meeting others that are traveling.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Location is perfect - right next to the river with views of it from the rooms. Within walking distance of everything you need - bars, restaurants, shops, etc, etc.

Rooms are decent and value for money - always find it a little annoying when a hostel gives you the bed sheets and expects you to make your bed, but not a massive problem. Rooms and bathrooms were kept clean as were all communal areas.

The locker and luggage storage was a bit of a pain but they seem to take security quite seriously as you always have to hand your key in when going out and have to verify your room number when trying to get back in.

All in all a good hostel with good facilities and a good young crowd, possibly a bit noisy for older travellers as we had plenty of late nights!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends