“Perfect Wow! Destination”

The Bank on College Green
Ranked #103 of 2,774 Restaurants in Dublin
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: Award-winning Heritage Bar and Restaurant in the heart of Dublin.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We arrived on a Monday night and waited for a table to open up on the balcony -- usually you have to book in advance -- and it was well worth it. We had a drink at the horseshoe bar and admired the busts of famous Irish poets, the ornate high ceilings, the tile floors, all originally in what must have been a beautiful bank. We were dressed a little more formally than other customers (we'd just come from Paris), but there were many groups of tourists dressed casually and it didn't seem to matter. My husband had the roast chicken; I had the fish and chips. We were both a little surprised at how bland the food tasted -- the seasoning was too subdued. It was a good meal, a stand-out atmosphere and a great first night destination in Dublin.

1  Thank EvaSC
Write a ReviewReviews (2,680)

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

I ate here twice this week. Food is very adequate. Service and atmosphere outstanding. How you get bartenders to be so efficient, without being brusque is mistery. Well done.

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I came here after reading the reviews on TA.

We sat upstairs and i ordered the beef Sunday roast whilst my wife ordered the steak sandwich.

Upon arrival my plate was huge which 2 very generous slices of thick cut beef presented with all the trimmings.

The beef was cooked to perfection. Slightly browned on the edges and moist inside.

The potatoes were great and the veg perfectly seasoned!
I savoured every last mouthful and even though I was full to the brim I was disappointed when my pâté was finished!

I've since told my mum that she's got to up the ante on her Sunday roast as she's got serious competition now!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

A friend recommended The Bank, but we almost didn't go - so glad we did! Nothing can beat the athmosphere and ambiance of The Bank on College Green. Opened by the Belfast Bank in 1895, the grand Victorian interior dazzles any visitor.

We dined upstairs and enjoyed a lovely meal (two mains and a bottle of wine for 50 euros). The seafood linguini was excellent, the staff very friendly. We were very well looked after at the bar by the charming Colin. We had a great experience, The Bank is not to be missed!

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were visiting Dublin for the 1st time for our wedding anniversary and were looking for a well reviewed restaurant in the centre of Dublin to start our weekend off. We picked probably the best place!!
The place takes your breath away as you enter with its high walls and decor, and it had a really nice atmosphere.
It was busy, which you'd expect for a Saturday evening and we were extremely lucky that a table became available just as we were speaking with the restaurant manager. We saw plenty of other people who weren't as fortunate so booking in advance is recommended to avoid disappointment.
The staff immediately made you feel welcome, so much so that what was intended as just a quick meal out, we both decided for this to be our anniversary meal instead.
The attentiveness of the staff stepped up another gear when we ordered champagne, and we were well looked after by we believe was the bar manager, who poured our glasses and brought us a glass of strawberries to go with it, a really nice touch.
All of the staff ensured our glasses were always topped up and came to speak to us at different times of the evening, which was really nice and they weren't overbearing.
The food was absolutely lovely. I think you can always tell a good restaurant by how much you look at everyone else's dishes as well when they come out, which we were in the perfect position to do so being near the service hatch.
All in all, we had an absolutely brilliant time and can't thank all of the staff enough for making our anniversary meal so special. We would definitely recommend the place to anyone.