“Great hotel”

The Holyhead Hostel
Ranked #94 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This was the best hotel I have stayed in on my trip across Europe. Very simple and clean. The staff was so helpful and went out of their way to help any way they could! You can't find a better location either. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I did not expect much for the price, but what I did expect was hygiene and a good night's sleep. I did not get either, as there was a huge moldy spot on the wall of my room, and the tap water tasted disgusting - just brushing my teeth with it was terrible. Also, although staff were friendly, they were quite noisy as well when smoking in the back yard, and kept the radio playing far into the night. There is only one shower for I don't know how many rooms, and it smells weird. The only redeeming features were the price and the perfect location (Tesco Express around the corner, for those who want to get their own breakfast), but I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2012

perfect price, good location, comfy beds, awesome service. What more is there?

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The staff were really friendly and the location was good and the bed was comfy but that is the only reason why I scored it 2. We stayed on the ground floor right beside the toilet and people kept banging the door, they also ran out of toilet paper as well so I actually had to go across the road to the pub. We also had to keep the window open all night as the central heating made the room feel like a furnace and we couldn't turn it down or off, anyone could have just jumped into our room as it was right beside the fire escape. We couldn't find anyone to discuss this in the morning with so I left a note but again for the 2nd night it was the same problems. The shower was disgusting, cramped and full of mould and on the second day we had no hot water so couldn't even get a shower as it was that cold so we just checked out and went to another hotel for our final night stay in Dublin, I left a note again and this time someone did call me so when I went around on my last day to hand over the keys I was given an apology and was told the heating would get fixed asap, whether it did or not I couldn't say but the Spanish chap did give me 30Euro refund and a bottle of red wine which was my girlfriends favourite and that was really nice of him but overall it did put a little dampener on what was an excellent weekend.

Room Tip: If you do stay here then I wouldn't recommend the ground floor or a room beside a toilet
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Room had high ceiling and comfy beds. Staff were friendly but a little confused with regards to restaurants and taxi's etc. One shared toilet and shower for the whole floor! Although these were kept clean. Worth what we paid.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2012

A comfortable stay in a cosy hostel. The rooms were very clean but the decoration perhaps a little garish. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. Overall, an excellent little place on a bustling street in the heart of real Dublin.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business