The Lombard Townhouse
Ranked #77 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My cousin and I (22 and 24 yrs old) were traveling on a budget and wanted to be in a central location to walk everywhere. The Lombard was perfect for us! We got a twin room that actually had three twin beds, a sitting area, spacious bathroom, and a great view out to the street. We stayed Sun-Tues and didn't have any problems with noise. I'm not sure how the noise would be on weekends.

We walked ALL OVER: Trinity College, Grafton Street, and even the Guinness Storeroom and Croke Park (quite far, I know). We enjoyed having a pub right downstairs if we wanted a quick drink. All the bartenders we talked to were friendly and helpful. They even arranged to have a taxi arrive early in the morning so we could catch our train at Heuston.

Some of these reviews seem quite harsh. I will say that this place is not like a hotel. If you know what you're signing up for I think you'll be pleased. You check in at the bar once they open and after that you don't deal with anyone from The Lombard unless you need something. While in Ireland we came to realize the Irish people aren't in as much of a rush and take their time. If they're not at the bar right away, be patient and they WILL help you. We are relatively low-maintenance travelers and were completely satisfied with a clean bed and bathroom. Someone from the cleaning staff would come in, make our beds and replace ours towels everyday while we were out.

The only problem we had was with the wifi. We didn't get great reception in our room, but honestly we were too busy during the day to care.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ejames514

Reviewed September 12, 2013

The good - clean, modern room. Central location. Value for money.
The bad - staff.

We arrived in a bit of a hurry for a concert. There was someone at the bar (who coincidentally I knew) having difficulty checking in. He had to produce his email reservation and eventually got a room. They had no record of our reservation and weren't interested in my email. The disinterested staff member said she couldn't read the writing in the reservations book but was sure we weren't in it. With 2 staff struggling to deal with 4 bar customers ((who obviously found our predicament an annoyance), we were left hanging for half an hour. Eventually a manager arrived, produced our key immediately and apologised that the staff had let somebody else upstairs with no reservation. All ended well but we were late for the concert.

Would I stay again? No, I wouldn't risk being left roomless by staff who wouldn't care.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Niall G
LombardManagement, Manager at The Lombard Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

many thanks for your review, we do apologise you where late for your concert, our member of staff that dealt with your check in is still training and was very flustered when you arrived as she had mixed up the allocated rooms and was unsure of how to fix the mistake, she did offer you a complementary coffee while you waited for the manager to return and as you have said you where dealt with immediately by him. It was a simple and easily fixable mistake. thank you for taking the time to offer your opinion.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked this hotel for two reasons - it appeared to be a boutique hotel (it's not) and we were looking for a hotel near the Temple Bar District (it's not). The bartender (who 'checks you in' if there is such a thing there) was not pleasant, and in fact appeared to be somewhat put out by us showing up while he was doing his paperwork for the morning. There was no phone in the room, and it was very small. There appeared to be nothing happening in the pub downstairs.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank CNRisser

Many thanks for your review, we appreciate all honest reviews. Unfortunately we are not a boutique hotel nor are we listed as one on our site. We are a townhouse and advertise ourselves as the same. Temple Bar is less than 10 minutes from our location walking and 3 minutes via a taxi. We are very close to that area but just far enough away so that our guests dont experience the noise and hustle of busy Temple Bar Nights. Check in is as stated through our bar area, i do apologise if you feel you did not receive the attention you expected upon arrival. we aim to ensure all guests are welcomed in a more friendly manner. Thank you for offering your opinion we shall act accordingly to ensure our future guests do not think we are a Boutique hotel and realise that temple bar is 10 minutes away.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I was at a business meeting that was close to the premises so I invited my associates to go for lunch afterwards
I had heard reasonable things about the premises, I walked in with my business partner
we are greet by a dark haired barmaid, to say she was surly would be kind, to be honest all we got was a grunt.
not the most promising of starts, we should have really left there and then
it was down hill from there
food was not great
service was very poor
staff I found to be rude and very unhelpful when asked any form of question
maybe my English is not up to the standard that they are used to hearing
maybe I was not dressed in proper attire
I just do not know
I have draughted this review in the hope that the management can address this problem

Room Tip: if the bar staff are anything to go by stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Niamh F
Reviewed August 24, 2013

It was very comfortable place for staying. All sights are not far from the Hotel. We didn't heard noise from another suites. View from the suite pretty good. If you want, you can have a lunch at the restaurant on the 1st floor.
There are no any reception, you get keys at the restaurant.
entrance to the hotel and to the restaurant are separate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and i wish i could have stayed longer. The bedroom is confy and clean and so is the bathroom. It is located 5 minutes walk from trinity college and the centre of Dublin. I strongly reccomend this place.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com