“Dumped out of Dublin by Staycity”

Staycity Aparthotels Saint Augustine St
Ranked #1 of 106 Specialty Lodging in Dublin
Sunny South
“Dumped out of Dublin by Staycity”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My son found this property on Tripadvisor and booked it as a surprise 50th treat for my wife, his mom.

Like most families we travelled independly myself and wife flew from Southampton and my son from Manchester.

Our arrival was confirmed for Friday 12th October 2012, and the apartement staff had been told that we would be arriving later in the day, they also took the courtesy of calling my son in the afternoon of the 12th to ask him to confirm our travel, which he did.

Upon arrival at the apartments we were told that due to torrential rain in Dublin on the Thursday that incoming electrical supplies had been damaged and due to this the apartments could not be released as they had to be electrically checked. We were not the only people being told this, and this was not mentioned during the earlier phone call to my son. Anyway we were then informed that other apartments managed and let by Staycity had been reserved for us and were just up the hill, only 5 minutes walk away in the High Street, at Christchurch apartments.

It was now getting close to 10.00pm and when we arrived at these apartments the reception staf informed us that there was no rooms available for us, again due to water damage and doggy electrics. Initially it was evident that the reception did not know how to deal with the situation and after speaking via telephone to a Manager, informed us that a room had been found at nearby Royal Marine Hotel, Dun Laughaire, with Taxis provided Free of Charge, both for outward and out return journey the next day. One family room for a couple and their 27 year old son - well how stupid! It then took further remonstrations from us to tell the young reception staff that this was not acceptable, we booked months ago for this, we wanted the city centre location and being 7 miles away at Dun Loughaire was a farce.

I confronted the young receptionist, and evidently our situation was not our fault and what cowardly management to only be available on the end of a telephone when things are falling apart.

The truth of the matter in my eyes was that during this Friday night Germany were playing Ireland at football, and the following day there was also an International Rugby match, we had therefore been dumped out of our accommodation for other people who were willing to pay a premium for the accommodation. I said this to the young receptionist and he would not give eye contact or deny that this was the case. I have heard of others being dumped out of accommodation but this is the first time this has happened to me.

The whole birthday surprise had been ruined by this action of Satycity, and whilst taxis were paid for the whole occassion had been compromised by the actions of the managers at this accommodation.

We lived out of the suitcase for the Friday night and arranged for the transfer back to the Augustine Apartments at 11.00 am the following morning. There was no sign of electricians, workmen or water damage anywhere in the Apartment block.

We were upgraded to a larger apartment but sadly there was a distinct indian spice smell throughout the aprtment and the double glazed window in one of the master bedroom had been totally broken on the outside, which had evidently happened some time ago. The apartment was scruffy and tired, especially by American and Canadian condo standards.

My son is contacting Staycity for a full and unequivical refund.

The one day of my wife's 50th Birthday where my son and I had spent considerable time and money to set up had been completely tainted.

Room Tip: Rooms at back overlook Council flats and playgrounds
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here with my aunt and 2 cousins October 2012. 4 women, 50+. Overall, it was just okay. Bedrooms are very small. No where to put suitcases or clothes. Mirror is behind the door without outlets nearby. The outlet in the bathroom is too high to use, so tell me how 4 women are supposed to blow dry their hair without a mirror and outlet nearby? Also, no coffeepot or corkscrew. One bath towel for the entire week. If you ask for extra, it will cost you. Washer/dryer is a combo, towels don't dry. One towel for the week is yucky. Also, no washcloths, so bring them with you. Sofas and chairs are grungy. However, make sure you ask for a newer apt. The first one we were in, # 34, had NO Internet at all. It smelled awful like curry which gave me a headache. So, they were nice enough to move us.# 12 was nicer. Smelled very clean, sofas still grungy though. Good Internet at new apt. Staff was very accommodating and pretty nice overall. Would I stay there again? Probably not.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2012

These apartments were really good I can't fault them. They were clean and had everything we needed with the exception of digital TV channels but with all their was to do in Dublin this did not really matter. The apartments gave us the flexibility to do as we pleased and we could have a drink whenever we wanted and we weren't forced to eat out as we were able to cook for ourselves. This saved us money overall on our stay as the apartments were also very resonably priced. The staff were always friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend this to anyone,.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Juliette S
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a bit of a time finding this place, the office to be exact. But, once we did and discovered they had a secure lot to park overnight in, all went well. They were extremely helpful at the front desk, very friendly and made sure we had whatever we needed. Our dryer did not work and the service man took our laundry to an empty apartment and dried them for us. Everything else worked just fine and we had a good nights sleep. I was able to cook our meals, which is something I always do when we travel. We discovered the oldest pub in Dublin was right around the corner and we had a grand time, listening to trad music and eating fish and chips!
I would stay here again!

Room Tip: We had a very nice apartment on the 3rd floor. It was spacious and quiet. The beds were comfortable...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We are currently staying here. The location is top notch!
Front staff-they have zero personality!
We arrived to find our apartment filthy!! The washer/dryer not working properly. The toilet doesn't really flush properly.
The Place is Like fort Knox!! It's like Maze. It took us 1/2 hour just to find our way out!! Overall disappointed with this stay. The beds don't even have a mattress pad....how gross is that!! Blah

• Stayed October 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was really looking forward to my time in Dublin but the accommodation let me down. Apartments are very shabby and need urgent renovation work. I'm still waiting for the manager to call me back about my awful stay. There were many issues with the apartment; the washing machine did not work and was never repaired, even after reporting it 2 or 3 times.
The sofa bed was very old and not fit for purpose. My friend is receiving back treatment since sleeping on it.
The kitchen was poorly equipped and not possible to cook even a basic meal. There was no cooking utensils and our group ate out which defeated the purpose of a self-catering apartment.
Overall I am very disappointed and will not stay again.

Room Tip: Do not use sofa beds if you need to sleep!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed at Augustine apartments for Arthur's day september, in a group of 13 girls!
Great apartments loads of space an clean an tidy, kitchen had everything you need with one exception of cirk screw but inprovised! staff where really friendly an helpful too
definitely stay here again an only 1 minute from brazen head pub an 10 minute walk to temple bar area but loads of shops an bars also in door step

• Stayed September 2012