“Avoid, avoid, avoid- Do not stay here! This is worth a read!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Abbeyleigh House

and 1 more site!
Abbeyleigh House
Ranked #120 of 162 Dublin B&B and Inns
ireland
“Avoid, avoid, avoid- Do not stay here! This is worth a read!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

on arrival the door was opened by a guy in his twenties who looked pretty dishelved..he told me one of the girls would deal me and left me standing in the hall. i stayed there...or more to the point i was left there for approx 5minutes!!..i was left standing and feeling quite uncomfortable, it quickly became apparent that this was less of a professional guesthouse and more a family residence...and i felt like i was intruding on their evening.

anna barden, the owner who was meant to be welcoming etc from other posts barely poked her head around the corner of a doorway at the end of the corridor, asked me my name, disappeared, i could hear arguing and she reappeared, while handing me the key said "your in room x up the stairs"...and walked away as she said it. that was it..my welcome in an irish guesthouse. as an irish citizen who is more than aware of the problems facing the irish tourist industry i had little sympathy for their woes if this is the welcome people received.

i went up to the room and even though i wasn't expecting much my initial reaction was to stand there shocked!!! the decor is like something out of the late 70's, early 80's. the bed was ROCK HARD..the floor had more of a bounce!! the bed was next to a huge georgian window and the en-suite was tiny but manageable.

i would like to point out that the room was spotlessly clean and anna cannot be faulted on this, however that is where the positive ends. despite a radiator under the large window i started to feel cold within minutes of being in the room. within a half hour i was frozen...all the heat was going out the thin panes of glass in the windows, the walls to the room had no insulation and it was FREEZING!!!! i got under the covers of the bed to heat up, there was two thin quilts- still frozen. the heat from the radiator at this point was blasting but made no difference.

i was shaking with the cold and decided to get dressed and get into bed- at this point i was wearing underwear and a t-shirt. i put on a fleece top, sweat pants and got back into bed...still cold!!! put on two pairs of socks...still cold...put on my scarf and an extra blanket that was provided on the bed..barely warm. so to get warm i had to wear a scarf and fleece, sweatpants and two pairs of socks!!..i was miserable and i'm quite a resilient person, it's dank, cold and depressing.

to add insult to injury i'm a non-smoker and while the room itself didn't smell of smoke the public areas were permeated by smoke from the bardens down the stairs which permeated the entire house to the point it was clearly noticeable in the room, it would have been more of an issue for me if i wasn't sleeping in a freezer box. i would have been better off sleeping outside, there was no difference!!!!

there was NO HOT WATER at 9.15pm and the HEATING WAS TURNED OFF..it must be on a timer, the bardens were actually quite loud and could be heard in my room from downstairs. and to be perfectly honest, it didn't feel safe- more than once during my time in the room i was at the inside of the door listening outside to hear what was going on,at twelve am there was a loud radio or tv being played downstairs which was a current affairs programme not music and it was still a nusiance!!!!i woke the following morning angry- i was booked in for an extended stay, i got up and decided i couldnt put up with this and went downstairs expecting to find someone to take up my issue with.

this was 8am, there was no one up, no breakfast being made- i paid for a room only but expected some welcoming activity if nothing else. there is no reception area in abbeyleigh, making it very uncomfortable attempting to get anybody's attention. the house was dead when i awoke so i just left with my suff.

i rang throughout the morning to take up my issue with someone-there was no response until ten am, when i got through to anna and explained i wouldn't be staying for my full stay she was rude, slightly aggressive and irritated. she told me i had plenty of opportunity to say it to her the night before as she was there until 12pm..we agreed on how to settle it and after the call it dawned on me.

the only assumption to make on the basis of her comment is that she wasn't there at 8am that morning is because she must be living somewhere else nearby and divides her time..in effect i was left sleeping in a house with strangers or possibly on my own as i'm uncertain if there were even other guests...unacceptable!!anything could have happened!!i booked into the burlington- a palace in comparison!

abbeyleigh is cheap...but you get what you pay for. if you have any standards and respect for yourself as a human being, do not stay here...my dog is better looked after than the welcome and acommodation i received at abbeyleigh. it's a kip, not fit for its purpose and should be closed down.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank kevinos1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

From Dublin Airport, we took the Air Coach which dropped us off just steps away from Abbeyleigh House. The Air Coach staff were very helpful and made this an easy trip.

Located 15 minutes from the City Centre, this 200 year old house has six comfortable modern en suite bedrooms and a pleasant, bright dining room. Our room was clean,and had a double bed and a single as well as a dressing table. It was well appointed, with a TV and coffee maker. As is frequently the case in Europe, the room was snug by North American standards.

We walked to St. Stephen's Green, the National Museum of Ireland, the National Library, Leinster House which is the home of the Irish Parliament (the Dail), as well as the National Gallery of Ireland. Note that admission is free to all these attractions. A wide range of restaurants can be found close to the house.

Anna and Declan were attentive and provided a tasty breakfast which included fruit, a selection of cereals, yogurt and , of course, the traditional Irish breakfast.

We really enjoyed our stay at Abbeyleigh House!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank canadatraveler66
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

We stayed at the Abbeyleigh House for 3 nights at the beginning of our 2 week trip across Ireland. We had a small room with a double bed facing the street, so there was a bit of road traffic. The room had a bit of a strange smell and the hot water was very, very slow to come out of the tap. The bathroom was tiny and the shower was teeny tiny and a bit scary. The mattress was also VERY thin and you could feel every spring- not fun!! At one point we ran of toilet paper and there was no extra rolls in the room - we had to ask more than once to get some replacements. Breakfasts were good and the bus stop was right outside the B&B which was helpful. The owners were not very forthcoming, and weren't able to answer many of our questions for recommendations - they basically just said "Take the Tourist Bus" instead of helping us make sense of the regular bus or helping us find some non-touristy local things.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Dublin hotels

San Diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

Just got back from 2 nights in Room 4. I would definitely stay again. The Abbeyleigh is located just steps from the Aircoach stop which is incredibly convenient. The triple room was spacious and bright. The neighborhood is nice and quiet, yet it's only a 15 minute walk to St. Stephen's Green, and maybe a 25 minute walk to Temple Bar and all other sites. It's great. Never used a cab or bus and spent all of my time on foot, saw all sites easily. The staff are courteous and helpful. The breakfast was plentiful. The price very good. Great for solo travelers.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2009

I was a little apprehension about booking a room here because I really wasn't able to find any reviews online (and the photos on their website didn't really sell the place). However, I found one review on Trip Advisor that persuaded me to go ahead and book. Also, it was very good deal, 150euros for two nights. We had a little trouble finding the guesthouse but once there, we were not let down. They had the room ready, even though we arrived before 10am. The room was on the top floor which wasn't a problem as we didn't have a lot of luggage. It was absolutely lovely and nicely decorated. We had nice views out onto the street and felt completely at home. The bed was comfortable with crisp, clean sheets. The en-suite bathroom was clean and satisfactory. The shower was great, really powerful and plenty of hot water!

We had breakfast on the morning that we left and the owner made sure that we had everything we wanted, even though we were in a bit of a rush. It was also included in the price of the room.

It isn't a 5* hotel so don't expect a plush or trendy room with modern features. Abbeyleigh is comfortable, clean, quiet and friendly. It is a 15 minute walk to the city centre in a very nice, safe area. It is also on the bus routes to the city centre and the airport. It was perfect for me and my boyfriend on a romantic weekend away. Don't stay here if you want to be on top of all the bars and clubs. We got a taxi home from the Guinness Storehouse and it cost 8 euros which we thought was very reasonable. The taxi driver was so friendly and gave us lots of recommendations of places to go. In fact, everyone is very friendly and helpful!

I recommend visiting Guinness Storehouse (very interesting and the free pint in the Gravity Bar is great), Gallagher's Boxty House (fantastic food, we went there twice!), Jameson Distillery (brilliant tour guide and make sure you put your hand up quick enough for the tasting!), Porterhouse Temple Bar (great atmosphere and live bands).

Dublin is very expensive but there's not a lot you can do about that!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

While looking for a Dublin Hotel, I searched for weeks over the Internet and finally stumbled upon The Abbeyleigh B&B. A few red flags popped up, not many photos on their website, a less than stellar comment on the Tripadvisor forum (it hadn’t actually been reviewed), and the owner did not answer when I asked for the closest side street.

The price was within my budget, so I kept the reservation. The website showed an arrow pointing toward the very edge of the map so I assumed it was further south in Dublin 4 than would be convenient, but at 110 euros per night including a Full Irish breakfast it was going to be my home for 6 nights, like it or not.

I liked it! It was only half a block south of the canal on Upper Leeson, a lovely tree lined street with the building set back from the road, allowing off street parking for guests. The bus stop was literally outside the door, but it was easy to walk into town from this location, and the airport bus was a short block away. The immediate neighborhood had several restaurants, a pub and dry cleaners, all very convenient. The B&B has been in business for 12 years and some things show signs of wear, but Anna Barden, the owner, is working on that with continuous upgrades including a recently tiled entry hall and new carpeting throughout.

My stay was broken into 3 separate visits and the first room had a bed so hard, I groaned when I sat on it expecting a sore back in the morning. I slept like a baby and woke up refreshed. Some bathroom towels were Egyptian cotton, and there were toiletries, a hairdryer, and even tissues, nothing I would normally expect from a modest B&B. Matching furniture is something else I wouldn’t expect from a B&B, but each of the 3 rooms I occupied had matching wardrobe, desk/dressing table and night stands.

Another thoughtful touch, Anna provided a scaled down breakfast (no hot food) in the wee hours of the morning before we left for an early flight home. In all my years of travel, no one has ever done that or even offered to do that for me. The daily breakfast was generous with fruit, cereals, yogurt, juices, coffee or tea and a the traditional hot breakfast, but the best part of our stay was being treated so well by the Bardens and supporting an Irish family instead of a multi-national corporation.

We didn’t have proper change for the bus and Declan (Mr. Barden) loaned us the money, a kindness we certainly hadn’t anticipated. Even though we were there 3 times during the course of our trip, we didn’t actually pay until our very last day. It was such an exceptional experience to be treated like friends instead of an income stream. When all the hotels in town raise rates for weekends and special events, this B&B has a consistant rate and doesn't take advantage of the guests. Bravo!

• Liked — I liked the price for a city center location and the friendliness of the owners and their family
  • Disliked — Some rooms need updating, but for the price in Dublin, it's easy enough to live without.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple