“a surprise”

Cuisines: French, Irish
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: South City Centre
Description: The Blackboard Bistro understands the simple art of Risotto and a starter of leek and bacon risotto with fresh oregano, lemon zest & creme fraiche proves this point beautifully with all the flavours balanced, expressive and just right. Everything else that comes from the kitchen is just as precise! Mc Kenna Guides - 100 best Irish Restaurants 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“a surprise”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have heard mix reports about this restaurant over the years but my first visit was excellent. The host was great, low-key but quick with service and suggestions. It is a small place in a basement. It has a bistro vibe, casual, workman-like place, as opposed to romantic intimate night. Was there with a group of friends and it was perfect for this. I had a fish starter and Cod - excellent. Good choice of wines too and the price was good too.

2 Thank Ducking

Ireland
“Ho hum”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We sat as a group. The starter was the quail. The morsel that was served was delicious. The general feeling was that there could have been more of it (a whole bird is small anyway without serving only a portion of it). The confit was dry and overdone. These opinions were shared by others. I have eaten confit elsewhere many times, including in France. This was the poorest that I have eaten. The menu that we were supplied with indicated the following cheeseboard: AOC French Cheese Platter: St Nectaire, Fourme D’ambert & Tomme de Savoie served with Honey, Walnut and Grapes. What was on offer on the night was Irish cheeses. The staff stated that they had switched to Irish due to their quality. Now I do not know why they print a menu with the french cheeses that was looking forward to, then suddenly switch to Irish ones (which have been around for some time). Portion too was 3 small pieces of triangular cheese spread size. I did not have the coffee, but a colleague described it as insipid. Perhaps the bistro cannot cope with large numbers, but at €45 a head plus service, I found the Christmas menu disappointing and would not recommend it.

5 Thank fishingpaddy
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great night in a lovely restaurant”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely meal here. The food was great, in particular the pumpkin seed and butternut squash risotto, the pork belly and the chocolate mousse dessert. The staff were probably the best thing about the place - friendly and warm, they helped create and very relaxed atmosphere. The restaurant itself is quite small, it's quaint and cosy and had a nice chatty buzz. I'd definitely recommend an evening out here.

3 Thank AmyG359
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Almost fantastic”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I very recently had dinner at the Blackboard Bistro with my partner during a weekend away in Dublin.
I must say the experience as a whole was very good, just a few small things and it could have been excellent.
Firstly, all the positives -

Immediate response to a booking request, despite a change of time it actually worked out better to eat at the revised time.
Great location in correspondence to our hotel; I know they can't help that but it was still a positive!
Great looking restaurant, lovely little staircase down to the restaurant which could have been fun after a few more wines!
Decor and tables set out fantastically, not too cramped and lovely quality feel for all cutlery and glasses.
Waiters and staff very attentive to our needs and always someone around to ask questions/ request additional drinks.
Great knowledge of eh menu when asked questions on dishes, always nice and reassuring it's run independently with an actual love for the customers and food.
Starters and mains perfect, extremely tasty and served with exact time needed between courses.
Desserts not quite as expected but will move onto that later.
Everything very quaint and really a heat feel that the business cares for the customers needs. Nice to see the chef coming out of the kitchen to discuss the dishes with the FOH, no doubt this helps to ensure everything is right first time.

A couple of bits to suggest -

Table was very close to the entrance, on the main walk to the bathroom and close to another table of two. I'm not sure if it was put there to accommodate us as they were busy but made things a little disjointed as people came in and out and also walked past us to the toilet. This is only our experience though and 90% of the tables wouldn't have this problem.

Due to the location of the table near the bar and the intimate nature of the restaurant it got quite noisy when plates and glasses were being stacked behind the bar. Again this would only be an issue in the front of the restaurant and when it's early.

Most items offered very good value however £3.50 for a can of 7Up seemed incorrect, it was the same as the bottle of Carlsberg.

The desserts were tasty and offered good variation, I had the cheese and my partner had the chocolate moose. The cheese were all good and artisan but I would prefer them to be served a bit warmer to get the most out of the flavour. Also the biscuits weren't the best quality, some nicer damsels or Bath Oliver's would compliment the cheese better. Although my partner did say the grapes were good. I wasn't sure on the Moose as it was a bit liquid for my liking however I was assured it was very tasty.

That is everything and I hope any bits for improvement do not put you off ,they were very slight, and I have already recommended 3 of my friends and family in Dublin give it a try.

I am sure with the interest of the owners in making this business work they will take my suggestions on board and hopefully rectify to make this a perfect dining experience.

If you are out for dinner in Dublin at all make a booking, you'll be very pleased with your choice!

2 Thank Essien_05
London, United Kingdom
“hidden gem”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Fabulous service - very welcoming and informative. Limited menu, but still a good range from which to choose. Well-presented, delicious unpretentious food. Modern but cosy and relaxed atmosphere.

Visited November 2013