Portland House
All reviewsbreakfast was deliciouscity centredouble roomstayed herequiet neighborhoodminute walkirish breakfastluastaxiluggage
Reviewed June 22, 2011

This bed and breakfast is pretty decent considering it's in Dublin. The price is fair enough as well because it is similar to many other bed and breakfasts in the rest of the country. The breakfast was adequate and the lady who runs the place is nice and informative.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I visited Dublin this weekend from Cork. I needed to be close to St James Hospital. I booked into Portland House and had an overall very pleasant experience. Being very tired on arrival I wanted to sleep. The room was warm and comfortable. We had a great sleep. Refreshed the next morning we ate an excellent breakfast and got to know our hosts John and Maried. They are great. The B & B was less than 5 minutes walk to the hospital and also only 10 minutes from the city centre using the LUAS (tram). The location is great. I highly recommend Portland House.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We went on a one week trip in Dublin. We were three friends. The taxi driver had no problem at finding the place and it took about 20-30 minutes from the airport. As we entered the house Mairead, the owner, welcomed us with a smile, gave a few tips about the city and showed us the room. she told us to call her as we leave, if we want a recommendation for places to visit. We arrived back late at night and in the morning, while she made us a wonderful breakfast - we heard no complaint about the noise we made. She saw I didn't eat the bacon and sausage and she offered to make me a different breakfast for the next day. On our third day we went to collect a rent car, but we had a problem with the rental and got stuck in Dublin. As we got back to the B&B, Mairead instantly helped us by organizing a room for another night (by luck she had one free room), so we didn't have to stay in the street. She and her lovely husband, John, helped us all through that day and the day after, to find a place to stay for the rest of the week. As we went down to breakfast on the day after - John and Mairead called a bunch of places they know on the phone (it was almost impossible to find a bed in Dublin, since it was st. patrick's week) - and they found us a place in a B&B owned by a friend of them. John, with huge courtesy, DROVE US to that place and helped us settle in. John and Mairead were both incredible and so helpful, our entire trip would have ended in a disaster if it wasn't for them.
For conclusion, the house is lovely, the rooms are very clean and, the beds are inviting and the sheets on them were clean. there were clean towels and a clean bath with hot water in the room. The breakfast filled us for more than half a day. We immediately felt at home in our room, especially with all the help and concern given by the owners.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hagay A
Reviewed September 26, 2009

My 25 year old daughter and I traveled to Dublin and due to the big football match had trouble finding a place to stay. Everything was full. Portland House is out by the Kilmainham Jail so not too close to the city. Our room was an adequate size, but we were never offered tea, use of a sitting room, Wi Fi or anything other than the very basics. The towels had holes in them, no washclothes, no soap in the shower, and the bathroom sink was so small it was almost unusable. No options at breakfast, one egg for the "full Irish breakfast". At 80 Euros for a room and we had a minimum 2 day stay required, we were very disappointed. After staying in other B&B's on our last trip we I felt this one was not worth the money.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank irishgirl1951
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Hi I stayed at the Portland House for a couple of nights because I was looking for an appartment in Dublin. The couple who runs the place, Mairead and John, were really very welcoming and totally made me feel at home!!!....If you are in search of some peace and confortable stay I totally recomend this place!!!!! Rooms are very clean and quiet and beautifully furnished...Its also ideal for visitors since its in a great location near to the Luas and a bus stop that gets you straight to the City Center....Five minutes walk to the Kilmainham Jail and the Art Museum...and probably 15 minutes walk to the Phoenix park!!!!!!. Delicious and big breakfast as well :O) Hope you all have the luck to stay here!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business