Review Highlights
Best tour of our two week Ireland vacation ...... by far

This a fabulous tour! Mary Gibbons is so knowledgeable about Ireland's history and culture. Every... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
McGeeinHouston
Houston, Texas
Wonderful Day

Mary did our tour, she was very friendly and talkative, entertaining and informative . She told... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago

from $25.06
from $51.26
from $17.09
More Info
All reviews newgrange tour passage tomb boyne valley the bus winter solstice bru na boinne tara hill ancient sites visitor center ancient irish history wealth of knowledge day trip comfortable bus great tour booked this tour shelbourne hotel knowledgeable tour guide
Selected filters
Reviewed January 10, 2011

This tour is so very worth it! I stayed two days extra from my tour just to see New Grange. I was picked up by bus at my hotel and several other pick up locations around Dublin gathering people from all over the world. Her knowledge of her countrys history is overwhelming. Since this tour was at the end of my organized tour, it was a wonderful recap of information of what I had been told and new about New Grange and
history and discovery around it. Although it was a rather cool and damp day in reality, it ws a fantastic day. If you have a day, do this. It is a must in my opinion.

Date of experience: July 2010
1  Thank rose20000
Reviewed December 3, 2010

The New Grange tour was very interesting. I enjoyed the narrator on the bus. The following visit to the Hills of Tara was a disappointment. Nothing much to see there and only one small restaurant and local bookstore to visit...for an hour.

1  Thank j0001
Reviewed November 19, 2010

Other reviewers have praised Mary's tour to Tara and Newgrange. The praise is lavish and completely deserved. This tour will be the absolute highlight of your experiences in Dublin. Mary is a uniquely qualified guide in terms of her access to the latest knowledge. She is patient in answering all questions. Her professionalism is unmatched. But she also brings her unique personality and flair to truly personalize this experience. She tries to develop a conversation that connects important events in Irish history and to each of us. Her narratives draw upon her knowledge of art, literature and architecture to provide a deep background to what you are seeing. This includes a vivid description of sights as you drive through Dublin at both the begnning and end of her tour. But this is information presented with a flair and humor. She is a National Treasure of Ireland. Professor Thomas P. Hustad, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA

4  Thank TomHustad
Reviewed October 31, 2010

My wife and I had the absolute pleasure of taking a tour with Mary Gibbons last week (late Oct 2010) to Newgrange and Hill of Tara. We had just completed a two week trip all around Ireland and this particular tour with Mary was one of the highlights of our holiday in Ireland. The sights themselves are absolutely wonderful and are a must see, and to have been able to share it with Mary with her wealth of knowledge of the area and its history was truly amazing. She is a lady with not only a wealth of knowledge, but also a lady with a sense of humour and a wish for you to get the most out of the day. I have only positive comments about the whole experience.

1  Thank Poppy53Brisbane
Reviewed October 17, 2010

For my second trip with Mary Gibbons Tours to the tomb at Newgrange I had two family members from the USA visiting with me. My younger brother is a modern and ancient history buff who was riveted even by the bus ride up to Newgrange, which is full of Mary Gibbons' delivery of modern Irish history from the Vikings up to the present century.

There is never a single dull moment on the tour except for a short, peaceful view over the Irish countryside from the Hill of Tara. Once at the tomb the people from the Mary Gibbons bus were brought in groups of 20 all the way into the centre of the burial chamber, whereas the other visiting groups milled around the outside of the structure.

We travelled on a nice comfortable bus where advice about other features of Dublin was readily available to visitors who needed it, as our host answered questions about the historical and archaeological features. There is simply no way this trip could be improved upon in educational, practical, historical, or personal appeal.

2  Thank RobertPhair