“Good Food!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castle Murray House Hotel & Restaurant

Castle Murray House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 68 Restaurants in Donegal Town
Cuisines: European, French, Irish, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Castle Murray prides itself on its dedication and passion to achieving a consistently high quality dining experience. Our Head Chef Remy Dupuy, who has worked in Castle Murray since 1995, is well renowned for using the best of locally sourced produce to create dishes that once enjoyed will have you planning your next trip back to Castle Murray. Our evening dinner menu showcases the passion and talent of Remy and his team while giving the customers a gastronomic experience that is often mimicked but seldom equalled. Great care and attention to detail is given to the design, creation and delivery of each dish on the menu, which reflects the dedication and desire for greatness which motivates Remy and his team. If you haven't already heard about our House Special dish 'Prawn and Monkfish', then it is a must have. A dish so good it should have its own Appreciation Society! The dining room is refined yet comfortable, with a warm and welcoming ambiance that surrounds you once you enter the room. The striking views of St. John's Point and its natural beauty can be enjoyed throughout the dining room. Our restaurant has the added bonus of having a beautiful open fire, which in the winter, when the fire is roaring creates a warm and homely atmosphere that is much sought after on dark winter nights. Through the direction of the General Manager Marguerite Howley and our Maitre d'Hotel Fabrice Costes, a commitment to a professional and personable service is guaranteed to you. Along with our evening dinner menu, we offer a mouth watering 5 course Sunday Lunch that is extremely popular with people far and near. And if that hasn't tempted you 'foodies' out there then we are pleased to tell you that during the summer months we have a gourmet bar lunch menu available and an absurdly delicious and decadent Afternoon Tea service that is sure to tantalise those taste buds.
Londonderry
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

One of the places we keep coming back to, over....years. Food and service excellent. Sometimes we just eat, sometimes stay the night. The rooms have different themes and views, always good even on a bad day. If you stay, breakfast is a pleasure, relaxed, lot of choice, lightly grilled fish for those who love it.
It is one of the places I would have no hesitation recommending to friends. We have brought a few friends on occasion, always with positive comments.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
castlemurray, Owner at Castle Murray House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Firstly let me Thank you for writing this review on TA, We really appreciate all of our customers feedback. It's great to read that your visits here at Castle Murray have all been a good ones!! Also Thank you for passing on your recommendation to friends.

It's great news to know that your dining experience for evening meal and breakfast was both a pleasure. We hope that you will soon return to us again.

Owner/GM

“The customer service awards on the walls must have been bought from a travelling salesman because they're not deserved”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Delay on table of 45 mins in a half empty restaurant meant birthday sunset was missed, distinct impression given by staff that my advanced booking had not been made, appolgies made for delays were insincere, no effort to allow for ruining occasion in the bill, no response to letter of dissatisfaction, amazing lack of customer service during a recession!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Belfast
“Lovely restaurant but prices a touch on the high side”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have been to Castle Murray on a number of occasions as it serves great food in a very relaxing environment. My only criticism is that its pricey at 47.50 for a 3 course meal. I am comparing the price to top end restaurants in Belfast where a 3 course meal ranges from £23-30 maximum so can't quite understand why it should cost so much more in a country location.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time out to review us on TA, I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience.

We are sorry that you feel that we are over priced but we do believe that our prices are fair and
reflects the quality of food and service. We are glad that you enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere here at Castle Murray.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Derry
“Glorious desserts - pity about the view!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I've stayed in Castle Murray on a couple of occasions and have enjoyed both visits.
On Sunday, we decided to treat our daughters and my mum to lunch at Castle Murray, to show them why we were so impressed.
I emailed the week before our visit requesting a table by the window, if possible. I received a reply stating that these tables are much in demand but they would pass on my request and accommodate me if possible.
When we were shown to our table, I was a little disappointed to be allocated a table at the back of the restaurant - beside the kitchen and further from the windows than most other tables!When I politely asked about a window table and mentioned my email, the English staff member told me that some guests request those tables 'very early' and he couldn't facilitate us.
I privately noted that we were at our table for approximately 40 minutes before another party were shown to a prime table with a lovely view. This table had been empty since we entered the restaurant.
I privately wondered how 'early' this party had requested their table ;)
I don't wish to sound too negative or petty but I think it's the small things that count and I didn't feel that our custom was as appreciated as others.
I should mention that our food was lovely and we all enjoyed our meals, although we had quite a long wait for our desserts (but they were worth the wait) and we could overhear a couple of staff complaining about the chef's temper! Perhaps some background music would prevent this and also afford some privacy to diners when chatting with each other.
All in all, a couple of minor issues, BUT given the service and standards of my previous visits, I was disappointed.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Shells99
Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to personally Thank you for taking the time out in reviewing us on TA, We value all our customers feedback.

I am disappointed to read that you were not happy with your allocated table,we do try very hard to to honour window table requests and I do apologise that you did not get the window table you requested on the day. Also I would like to apologise that you had to over hear for the staff inappropriately speaking unprofessionally and to inform you that our staff have been addressed on this matter and it will not happen again.

I was delighted to read that you enjoy your food and our desserts despite the wait. All deserts are make and cook to order so sometime you might have to wait on some of the hot desserts while they cook. We hope that you will visit us again and that your dining experience is as it should be.
Dublin Ireland
“Superb Restaurant in Donegal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We have been coming to Castle Murray House Hotel and Restaurant for years and the standard is universally excellent. We would highly recommend it-specially for seafood which is caught locally. The signature dish of monkfish and prawns always gets my vote. If in the region don't miss this lovely place and a delightful restaurant.

Dear Guest,

Firstly I would like to Thank you for taking the time out to review us on TA. We are so glad to read that you enjoy dining with us here at Castle Murray so much.

Also happy to here that you enjoy the House Special the prawns and monkfish it's such a popular dish and loved by everyone who tries it!! We hope that you visit us again soon and will look forward to it.