“One of the best!”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Holywood, United Kingdom
“One of the best!”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Just spent long weekend in the Lough Eske hotel - our first visit but will not be our last. Setting wonderful, our room -a suite spacious and very comfortable as was our son's standard room. Staff could not have been more courteous or accommodating. We enjoyed the food, both in the bar and restaurant. Not the cheapest but we went away satisfied that we had our money's worth. Two minor suggestions to the management
1. The restaurant is upmarket and has a splendid panoramic view of - a car park! Why not screen the cars with plants on the outside terrace? View NOT in keeping with the ambience of the room.
2. Magnificent surroundings of the hotel but difficult to access. Should have proper walking paths (not the access roads) to include ability to easily get down to the magnificent Lough Eske.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and I'm delighted to hear that you were impressed with you suite and guestroom.

Your kind feedback and compliments are genuinely appreciated by all of us and thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience. I have passed your suggestions regarding the view from the restaurant and the access paths to the lake on to our management team for consideration and hopefully we will be able to improve these areas in the foreseeable future.

It's wonderful to hear that you would like to return for another visit and we look forward to welcoming you back again on that occasion.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We had a three night break Monday to Thursday morning. From the moment we arrived we felt that the staff were genuine in looking after our needs. I had mentioned when booking with James (who had been very patient because I had to keep changing the dates) that it was my husbands birthday on the Tuesday. When we retuned to the room on the afternoon of the 29th they had left a lovely dessert with happy birthday in chocolate. We then ate in the cedars restaurant the same evening and as my husband did not eat any of the meat options and not a lover of mushrooms our waitress Kerri arranged for him to have battered cod and chips which he loved. Again they brought out a special dessert for him as a birthday treat. The pool was pleasurable and the spa we felt was nice for us. The room was amazing and could not believe how big the bed was. We also ate in the bar for two night and the cottage pie should be a must to try !,,

All the staff were welcoming and nothing to much trouble, and very knowledgable of the local area which was a delight to visit. . We would definitely like to return. Thanks for making our stay so enjoyable.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Solis Lough Eske Castle recently - it was our pleasure to welcome you both for your three night stay and I'm delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience.

Thank you for your many kind comments, which I have shared with the team - we were thrilled to be a part of your husband's birthday celebrations and were only too happy to provide him with a meal of his choice at dinner in our restaurant!

I'm thrilled to hear that you would like to return to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle on that occasion.

Ballymena
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We had a two day break at this beautiful hotel. The minute you drive up you realise that you are for staying in a place with history attached to it. We received a wonderful warm welcome at reception and immediately knew that they would do all to make our stay as special as possible. Indeed throughout our stay I remarked to my wife how friendly all of the staff were and approachable. We dined the first night in the Cedars which was a little pricy but a true dining experience, food to be enjoyed. The breakfast was out of this world with an a la carte option as well as buffet. Indeed we ended up eating little for lunch after it. The staff also helped us plan an excursion around the surrounding area with the help of personal knowledge they were able to recommend tea-rooms, places of interest and other restaurants. The spa again is wonderful and guests wander around in the complimentary robes enroute to it through the hotel again signifying how relaxing the whole place is. I will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the dining area and wedding function room and because it was warm we kept our wi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Solís Lough Eske Castle for your recent visit and I'm delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay!

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and we would like to thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience.

It's wonderful to hear that you will definitely return to visit us again and we look forward to welcoming you back again to the castle sometime in the not too distant future.

Antrim, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My wife and I booked a one night break through a voucher scheme to try this hotel. It's an imposing mix of old house and new build and is decorated to a high standard. We had an upgraded room which was sumptuous and had all the facilities you would expect of a good quality hotel. Be careful if booking in winter as we did as the "suite" we occupied along with many others could only be accessed by going outside. Umbrellas were provided, but it's a bit annoying to have to walk a hundred yards or more though the rain to get to and from the dining room. The staff were excellent and service was very good, both on arrival and in the restaurant. The restaurant menu was surprisingly limited to table d'hote and not cheap. However, the food was of an excellent quality. Good hotel to view and visit the Donegal countryside.

Room Tip: Look at the weather before deciding and ask the hotel if your room has to accessed by going outside.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ijallen52
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Solís Lough Eske Castle for your recent visit and thank you sincerely for your valuable feedback.

It's wonderful to hear that you were impressed with the castle, the food and the level of service you received. However, I'm genuinely sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the location of your Garden Suite - please accept my sincerest apologies and be assured that we will endeavor to make this clear to all future guests when booking accommodation in the Courtyard and garden. I have also passed your comments regarding the Table d'Hote menu in Cedars to our F&B manager for consideration.

I do hope that you will return for another visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle in the not too distant future.

Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We are just back from a 1 night stay through an offer on Treat Ticket after wanting to visit this place for a long time.

Before arriving we rang the hotel and explained we are both smokers and requested if we could have a room with balcony/terrace or close to a smoking area. Without a problem the man on reception quickly changed our room and when we arrived were delighted to find we were given a room with doors that opened out into their gardens...not only was this beneficial to us but the view and location of the room really did add to the whole stay as we were able to walk out of our room and walk straight through the doors of the spa - perfect

We stayed in the 5* deluxe room which lived up to it's name with one glamorous bathroom and luxurious features

We had dinner in cedars restaurant where the service was the best I have ever had at a hotel and food was AMAZING!!! Johnny the waiter even give us a sample of their new home cooked smoked cheese bread - Devine Breakfast was also served in this restaurant with a chef frying up an omelette with any filling right in front of u as well as potato bread and pancakes cooked to your liking.

A very SPECIAL thank you to Declan the caretaker who was not only informative but genuinely gave up his time to update us on the castle and the surrounding areas as well as help us with any request/enquiry we had..he really is a credit to this amazing hotel having worked here from the castle opened and is a complete gentleman!

Can't wait to get back!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Colum-and-Shauna
Dear Guest,

The ladies and gentlemen of Solís Lough Eske Castle were delighted to welcome you to Donegal for your recent visit.

Thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback - we are thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience. I'm delighted that you were so impressed with your room, the food and with the friendly professional service you received from the team (especially Declan!).

It's great to hear that you intend to come back to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back for your second visit in the not too distant future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Got to visit Lough Eske in January due to purchasing a Living Social offer which thankfully Lough Eske take part in as I don't know if I could justify their normal prices. From the moment you arrive and walk up to the lovely old part of the castle and enter the building you just get a good feeling, a warm, welcoming atmosphere awaits you! All staff are efficient, friendly and courteous and do make staying here that bit more special.

We stayed in a room inside the hotel, on the ground floor which had french doors out onto a courtyard area which was a nice aspect. The room in general was perfect, a really good size with a large four poster bed, extremely comfortable, the addition of a sofa and coffee table is a nice touch. The bathroom was a really good size with 2 sinks, large bath and separate toilet and shower enclosure and more than enough room throughout to store and feel relaxed for a few days.

All food we had (which included a set dinner menu in the restaurant which was part of our deal and and bar snacks at two separate times) was delicious and there was plenty of it, not small little portions, much to my husband's delight. In fact we ordered a club sandwich to share as a snack after the spa and the waitress very kindly brought it out already split. It's little things like this that make you realise you as a customer are important to the staff here. Niamh in the restaurant is especially friendly and good at her job, she has a special knack of making you feel totally relaxed and is able to offer well informed advice on most things. I would mention though, if offered the chance to have your breakfast in the overflow room rather than the main restaurant any morning I would advise you to wait as the chef brought in to cook the eggs, pancakes etc was very nervous and unsure and didn't make a great job which was definitely not his fault as he could only do his best. Also the selection of food on offer was not the same as in the other restaurant which we ate in the following morning.

The spa is the only thing that I felt let down on, as, judging the rest of the hotel I expected the spa to be a lot more luxurious and it just isn't for me. Firstly it is separate from the hotel so you have to go outside to get there which isn't really that nice in winter. This would have been a minor point if I'd been overwhelmed by the rest of my experience. The girls who checked us in just didn't seem that interested and the relaxation room isn't very relaxing and was cold with lots of dead flies lying on the netting above. The treatment was fine, not any more special than any I've had in other spas but an awful lot more expensive! I feel the treatments are very over priced and the spa just lacks the wow factor.

Overall I would still really recommend you spend some time in this hotel, it is expensive to eat and drink here but worth it for that special treat, although if returning I wouldn't visit the spa I would still totally enjoy my time here and that is down to good staff, good food, pleasing decor and rooms and warm atmosphere.

Room Tip: Personal taste I guess but I would prefer to be inside the hotel rather than have to walk outside to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fun1005
Dear Guest,

It's wonderful to hear that you were impressed with the castle, the food and the level of service you received. However, I'm genuinely sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your experience at Spa Solís - please accept my sincerest apologies and be assured that I have forwarded your comments to our Spa Manager in order to help improve the service for guests in future.

Your kind recommendation is much appreciated and I do hope that you will return for another visit sometime in the near future.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

My husband, myself and my disabled daughter have just returned from lough eske castle in Donegal where we had one of the best holidays in a long time. The staff went over and beyond to accommodate my daughter and nothing was too much trouble. We felt very relaxed and the rooms were immaculate, comfortable and spacious. Everyone was extremely kind and friendly. It was so nice to know that nothing would be a problem. The spa was wonderful and being pampered has left us feeling refreshed and invigorated. This is a hotel we would gladly revisit and look forward to coming back. For a family who have a disabled child, it means so much to us that her needs are met graciously and without hesitation.

Room Tip: We had a court yard room and we felt it was perfect
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you all to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you felt so relaxed and had such an enjoyable stay - and your many kind comments are genuinely appreciated.

I'm delighted to hear that you intend to return for another visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!