Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Mill Park Hotel(Donegal Town)
$208
$200
Donegal Manor(Donegal Town)
$131
$112
The Abbey Hotel(Donegal Town)
$135
Creevy Pier Hotel(Ballyshannon)
$149
Hotels.com
Harvey's Point(Donegal Town)
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
2,505 results
All reviewscedars restaurantgallery barlough eskethermal suitestar hotelcourtyard roomunderfloor heatingsteam roombeautiful groundsmain buildingfive starfour poster bedpancakesbar foodomelettefirst classtreated like royalty
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 30, 2014

My husband, myself and my disabled daughter have just returned from lough eske castle in Donegal where we had one of the best holidays in a long time. The staff went over and beyond to accommodate my daughter and nothing was too much trouble. We felt very relaxed and the rooms were immaculate, comfortable and spacious. Everyone was extremely kind and friendly. It was so nice to know that nothing would be a problem. The spa was wonderful and being pampered has left us feeling refreshed and invigorated. This is a hotel we would gladly revisit and look forward to coming back. For a family who have a disabled child, it means so much to us that her needs are met graciously and without hesitation.

Room Tip: We had a court yard room and we felt it was perfect
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you all to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you felt so relaxed and had such an enjoyable stay - and your many kind comments are genuinely appreciated.

I'm delighted to hear that you intend to return for another visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to the castle in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We went to Lough Eske for a weekend break to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday and from arriving to departing we were very impressed.

On our arrival we were welcomed by Michael at reception who then showed us to our room. It was room 235 (the furthest away from reception but nearest to Spa).

On the first evening we went to the Bar area for our evening tea which was delicious - We had the steak sandwich and the cod & chips.
There was a buzz in the bar with lots of guests coming and going.

The breakfast both mornings were super and having a chef cooking fresh omelettes and crepes etc was music to my husband's ears as he had omelette each morning. The range of food at breakfast was excellent and if you left hungry it was your own fault.

We used the spa, pool & thermal area in the afternoon - We had a couple suite and we both really enjoyed our treatments - my husband had an hour long back massage and I had 1/2 hr back massage and 1/2 hr facial - we were then taken to the relaxation area and they gave us 2 glasses of bubbly to celebrate the big birthday ! without us telling them they picked it up from his date of birth on the form you fill in

We had dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday evening and the food here was outstanding with every bit having a great flavour - well worth the 55 euro charge.

Overall we had a restful 2 days in Solis Eske and will definitely go back - we left the hotel on the Sunday at lunchtime and headed for Blacklion Co Cavan where we finished off our weekend at McNean's House and Restaurant which was also super.

Room Tip: We were in room 235 - very quiet which was super - it is quite a walk from reception but it is the closest room to the Spa area When we go back we will ask for this room again if possible
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure to welcome you both to Solis Lough Eske Castle for your recent weekend break to celebrate your husband's 40th and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel, facilities and the level of personal service you received and that you had such an enjoyable stay.

Your wonderful comments are genuinely appreciated by the entire team and I do hope that you will return for another visit in the not too distant future.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for your second visit.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I don't often write reviews but felt I had to on this occasion. My wife, young daughter and myself went for a long weekend for my 45th birthday. The room was great, plenty of space and the hotel supplied a cot for our daughter. Staff were at all times courteous and more than helpful. Biscuits for our daughter to take away after breakfast and a couple of nice birthday surprises for me at dinner on the last night. Great service, great ambience, I'll definitely hope to go back

1  Thank RegGraham
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your family to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel, facilities and level of personal service you received and that you had such an enjoyable stay. We were delighted to be a part of your birthday celebration - it's great to hear that you enjoyed the surprises and that your daughter enjoyed her after-breakfast biscuits!

Your kind comments are genuinely appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back for another visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

It is a rare thing to give a 'one star review' to a hotel but this one deserves such a rating, given the service I have received. I have actually stayed in the hotel a couple of times and can relate well to the comments made by other contributors. This masks the less pleasant side which has crept in to the hotel where service used to matter. I note with interest that Harveys Point Hotel (nearby) now has a better rating on Tripadvisor.
Bookings at this hotel had previously been looked after by a lady called Mary and handled by her with courtesy and efficiency. However, a most unhelpful and disingenuous member of staff named Catrina is now involved in bookings and a complete nightmare. Do not purchase a special offer at this hotel and hope for a smooth booking process as you may be unlucky like me and find your calls not taken, your emails not returned and be messed about by time wasting and unhelpful staff under the misdirection of Catrina acting willfully against what should be the interests of the hotel.
Do not make the mistake of booking this hotel on a special offer in case you get caught like me!

9  Thank MindSpeaker
SolisLoughEske, General Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the issues you encountered with your recent booking.

I am disappointed to hear that your calls and emails went unanswered and that you feel the service you received was unsatisfactory.

All special offers and bookings via third party companies or the hotel are subject to availability and terms and conditions.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Seán Carney

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Although the name is "Lough Eske Castle" do not expect to be sleeping in an actual Castle. That said you will not be disappointed staying in this Hotel that does include a wonderfully restored common area known as Lough Eske Castle. In order to present itself in a historically and architecturally period aesthetic style the hotel is constructed behind and a level lower than the main common area. Being one always hesitant to stay in bed and breakfast like accommodations I was secretly relieved to find myself in a wonderful Hotel. The grounds are nicely done and the amenities are everything one was looking forward to. The rooms are 4 to 5 star, very quiet. The doors were not measured, but, appeared to be at least 3 inches thick and solid, ensuring the peace and quiet. Lots of attention to detail in the construction of the rooms and bathrooms, towel warmers, double sinks, multiple shower heads, cedar closets, thick doors/walls, 115 volt outlets as well as the 220, to name a few. One essential detail however was missing and that was climate control. Maybe the ambient climate normally makes the rooms sustainable with just heat but we enjoyed wonderful sunny warm weather during our stay. During the day and only while we were in the room we could leave the deck doors open to get some air into the room. At night however the only window we had that could be left open was in the bathroom and that was insufficient to get air into the bedroom and to regulate the temperature for sleeping. The staff was generally enthusiastic and proactive in their effort. Breakfast was the best I've found so far on the Island, the variety and quality unsurpassed. As a 4-5 star hotel the price was average and commensurate with other 4-5 star hotels.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank str2014

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Donegal and to Solis Lough Eske Castle during your recent trip to Ireland.

I'm delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful experience and thank you sincerely for your very complimentary review! I have passed your kind comments on to the entire team who, as always, are delighted with your very positive feedback.

The main castle dates back to 1861 and was fully restored in 2007 - there had previously been an older house on the site dating to the late 1600s and the Lough Eske estate has had associations with the O'Donnell clan since the early 15th century. An authentic and historic castle experience which our guests really enjoy.

I do hope that you will return to Ireland and to the castle in the not too distant future and we look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.