“Faultless as always...”

Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from 3 nights with my wife. Everything was perfect, as expected. Dined in restaurant 2 nights and room service 1 night. Room service food choice limited but still good quality. Breakfast outstanding. The staff at this hotel are by far the best thing. Every single one if them are pleasant, professional and extremely helpful. Can't wait to return.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at Solis Lough Eske Castle and thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback.

I'm delighted to hear that your experience was 'faultless' and that you were so impressed with the hotel and with the level of friendly and professional service you received from the team.

It's great to hear that you cannot wait to return for another stay and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime very soon.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We had bought a deal at Christmas and have just returned home after a nights stay at the Castle. We where very impressed with the look of the hotel from the grounds and the surrounding area. It is set in woodland on the edge of a lough quite remote but very relaxing. We arrived and got checked in and went up to our room we where very impressed on opening the door as it was very spacious a very large king size bed,sofa,desk area dressing area and a large bathroom with double sink area and walk in shower but no bath. We settled in and went exploring around the hotel in which we found any member of staff where very friendly and welcoming and couldn't do enough for us. We went to view the spa but found that it was separate to the main hotel which wasn't really ideal but was very nice with pool area, saunas,steam rooms and jacuzzi. We then went back to our room and got ready to use the spa facilities which was very nice indeed. On returning to our room to get showered and ready we found that the bathroom was really kitted out for disable use and not really for able body customers. The shower floor tilted out wards which made the water flow all over the bathroom floor which made the use of the wash hand basins nil and void as you would have needed Wellington boots to stand at them. Had I of been in a wheel chair this would not of been a problem but it's no use for a able bodied person. The water spread as far as the toilet which again was adjusted for a disabled person and was very high and as I am not a tall person my feet did not reach the floor when using it. We got dressed for dinner and closed the bathroom door thinking that the under floor heating would dry it up but it didn't it still was flooded the next morning when we where leaving this was very disappointing and we did tell reception on leaving and they did apologise. The meal we had in the restaurant was really good and the staff and attention we where given was excellent. We could not fault it. Breakfast was buffet style again which was brilliant and the attention again was great. Check out was at 12 mid day which was great as you had time to relax after the great breakfast. I think the hotel is 5* but I would rate it as 4* as in places the attention to detail could have been better. We would return but only on a deal and we would not want to pay full price for it.

Room Tip: Not 311 as this is not suited for able bodied travellers especially the bathroom.
1  Thank 209959Heather66

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle for your recent stay and thank you sincerely for your detailed review.

I'm delighted to hear that, overall, you had an enjoyable experience and that you would like to return for another visit in future - your many kind compliments are greatly appreciated.

However, I am sorry to hear that you encountered some issues, including those with your bathroom - please accept my apologies and be assured that I will discuss this problem with our General Manager in order to help improve our services going forward.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for your second stay sometime in the very near future.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed here to celebrate my wife's birthday. Everything was perfect - from the special birthday welcome at reception to the little chocolate birthday cake in our fabulous room - those little touches tell you that you are in 5* Heaven.

Room Tip: The Courtyard rooms are beautiful.
1  Thank ManusDNeal

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you both to Solis Lough Eske Castle recently to celebrate the occasion of your wife's birthday and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with the hotel, facilities and service and that you had such an enjoyable stay - to describe your stay as 'five star heaven' is a wonderful compliment for the entire team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the castle for another visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Arrived at this hotel without any prior knowledge about it. We'd bought it on a 'deal'. What a thoroughly wonderful hotel! From a pleasant welcome at reception to a fabulous bedroom which I would suggest was much bigger than most standard double rooms! Beautifully furnished.
We had a great meal in the restaurant and breakfast was also very enjoyable.
It is a short taxi ride into Donegal town if you wish to leave the hotel.
I would return again and again to this beautiful hotel!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Helen D
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Solís Lough Eske Castle recently and for taking time to share your experience. It was our pleasure to welcome you to Donegal and to Lough Eske and I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit so much.

Your kind comments are genuinely appreciated and I have passed them on to the entire team.

Many thanks also for your kind recommendation - I'm thrilled to hear that you intend to return to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed in a junior suite in February and had a really enjoyable break. The hotel drive, facade and grounds are beautiful. Check in was friendly and speedy and we were offered hot chocolate whilst awaiting assistance with our luggage which was a nice touch. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable and despite there being a wedding on one night we didn't hear a thing. The room was too warm on the first night and as there are no numbers displayed on thermostat we were not sure how far to turn it down. On the second night we just turned the radiator off and it was still more than cosy. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was spacious and spotless. There was a good selection of quality foods for breakfast. Dinner in Cedars was very nice if perhaps a little expensive. The lady who showed us to our seats was unbelievably pleasant despite her being very very busy every time we visited (which seemed to be round the clock!), our sever Claudia was also very informative and pleasant. There a number of side rooms with open fires where you can hide away and relax with a book for a few hours. I was surprised that it was still possible to do this when the hotel was fully booked. Similarly the spa & pool area has been well designed and fitted and again it was not very busy despite the hotel being fully booked. We really enjoyed the Gallery Bar, the live music on Friday and Saturdays nights was great as were the cocktails. The bar staff are excellent. Particular mention should go to Nigel and (unfortunately I forgot to ask her name) to the girl with dark hair who I believe is leaving for New York. She has a lovely unassuming way and made great cocktails. In short we had a great time we just wished it had lasted longer.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Junior Suite which was excellent but I think all rooms are great.
1  Thank thompsonsbill
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Donegal and to Solis Lough Eske Castle for some recent 'peace and relaxation'!

Thank you sincerely for your wonderful comments and for taking time to share your experience. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the team is delighted with your very positive feedback.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit, which we hope will be for much longer!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed here for Valentines weekend. Felt very special from the moment we booked in. The Staff so friendly and the room was amazing. The food was very good but my only criticism is that the dining room had no atmosphere and was not in keeping with the rest of the Hotel.

1  Thank Pat204

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle for Valentine's weekend and I'm delighted to hear that you had such a memorable stay!

Your kind compliments are genuinely appreciated and thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experience. I'm disappointed to hear you felt that the restaurant lacked atmosphere and I have passed your comments to management for consideration and in order to help improve our guests' experience in future.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for another stay in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Just back from a weekend stay in a Deluxe room. On arrival staff very pleasant, helped us to our room. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. Free Wifi also. We had daily breakfast included which was lovely the only downside as I said in my last review for this hotel was that there were no vegetarian sausages for breakfast (this is the only fault I can find with the hotel!) The hotel was full and when we went down to breakfast there was a queue each morning, but we were seated within a few minutes, no problems. We had an amazing meal at Cedars restaurant, even making me a vegetarian main course not on the menu! and every course was delicious, I especially enjoyed the blood orange sorbet! The Cedars restaurant is expensive, but its worth every penny, I would highly recommend it. On one night we ordered room service and they sent me a panini with meat in it by mistake as we had an old menu in our room, they apologised and sent a fresh panini to our room in a short space of time accompanied by 2 glasses of wine and chocolates to apologise, which was a lovely surprise! The staff in the hotel restaurant/bar areas are extremely friendly and well mannered, with a very high standard of service. The cocktails are also very nice! This is by far my favourite hotel in the world! and I cannot wait for my next trip here!

2  Thank HolidayFreakxx

Dear Guest,

Thank you for returning to stay with us again at Solis Lough Eske Castle recently - it was our pleasure to welcome you back and I'm delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience.

Thank you sincerely for taking time to compile your review and for your many kind comments, all of which I have shared with the team.

I have asked chef to consider sourcing a vegetarian sausage for breakfast - hopefully we will have some available for you on your next visit!

I'm thrilled to hear that Lough Eske Castle is your 'favourite hotel in the world' and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
Clanree Hotel
Clanree Hotel
#4 of 12 in Letterkenny

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!