“Beautiful location, excellent choice for a special occasion!”

Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
“Beautiful location, excellent choice for a special occasion!”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Stayed 2 nights, for a wedding, in December.

On arrival we were helped with our luggage and pram, checked-in quickly and shown to our room. Room was stunning, clean and spacious.

I still struggle to justify the usual room rate but understand this is consummate with other 5* establishments.

Mention to the cleaner we passed on the corridor, who seeing we had a little girl with us, gave us a rubber duck to use in the bath.

On the first night we didn’t get to see much of the hotel but in terms of the events facilities as part of the wedding, I couldn’t find fault, food was hot and tasty, room turned around quick between meal and reception.

Probably worth mentioning my little girl was poorly and was in fact, sick in the hotel. Staff couldn’t do enough and made us feel at ease.

Second day/night – breakfast was great; we loved the “egg station” and couldn’t fault the food. Special mention to the female member of staff who seated us and seemed to be “hosting” breakfast, she was visiting tables, checking on diners, very friendly and attentive. She also gave us good local advice on where to visit during the day.

We drove into Donegal, which took us round 15 minutes, so the hotel is positioned well.

On our return, we used the pool – our daughter loved this, with it being glass fronted we could see out onto the courtyard area. Only fault here was the pool had a strange smell, which I can only describe as pond water! It didn’t put us off though as the water and surroundings were all visibly clean and well attended too.

Again, I struggle to justify the spa prices for treatments.

This evening we dined in the Gallery Bar and was our least enjoyable evening of our stay. Paid 15 Euros for vegetable cannelloni, which were two small rolls of pasta with little filling.

As we were splitting the bill, we worked out individual costs and realised we had been charged over 20 Euros extra than the prices listed on the menu, this was rectified straight away but made me wonder how often this happens if people don’t check their bills.

We were also charged a different price for the same glass of wine depending where we were (in the function room, from the bar, served via waitress etc)

Normally, I wouldn’t complain too much for discrepancies like this but for a 5* hotel, this should be happening.

Check-out was quick and efficient; we were taken to our car by a concierge with an umbrella to shield us from the typically Irish weather!

The same cleaner that had given us the rubber duck chased us down on our departure has we had left a teddy bear in the travel cot – really appreciated this as my daughter would have been upset if this was lost.

Overall a lovely stay with little fault, very helpful and attentive staff and I think that’s what makes the place so special.

Excellent choice for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Some visitors in the wedding party experienced noise due to their proximity to the function rooms...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank L4uren
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your family to Solis Lough Eske Castle for your recent stay and thank you sincerely for your detailed review.

I'm delighted to hear that you all had an enjoyable experience and thank you for your wonderful comments and recommendation.

However, I'm sorry to hear that you you were disappointed with the food in the Gallery Bar and with the prices charged for wine - please accept my apologies and be assured that I will discuss these issues with our Food and Beverage Manager in order to help improve our services going forward.

I do hope you will return for another visit sometime in the very near future and we look forward to welcoming you back on that occasion.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
N.IRELAND
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My Wife,two friends & myself spend two nights at Lough Eske Hotel in january.Room was very large & warm.Food excellant.Staff very friendly.Bed was very comfortable & very large.will be backHandy to Donegal Town.wonderful lounges & real log fires for cold winter nights.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank BARON14
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Solis Lough Eske Castle for your recent two night stay and thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with your room, the food and the personal service you received and to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay.

Your kind comments are genuinely appreciated and I'm delighted that you intend to return for another visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to Lough Eske Castle in the not too distant future.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Lough Eske Castle is located hidden away in the woods near Lough Eske. The Castle which has been fully restored is a feast for the eyes, Solis Hotels have spent millions of Euros on the Castle, the extensive formal gardens and surrounding grounds. The public rooms and guest rooms are no doubt five star and in Ireland there is little to rival Lough Eske Castle Hotel in the five star class. However, you do not have to queue for breakfast in such establishments as you do at Lough Eske Castle for what is a very disappointing buffet. My wife had a yogurt pot which she discovered after eating was out of date by two days, staff were informed and they removed a further two pots from the display. In an establishment of this standing this lapse in management should not happen. I also find the extra charge levied for my seven year old daughter per night as petty as no extra bed, bedding or towels were supplied and only a little breakfast consumed.
Treat yourself to the spendour of Lough Eske, treat yourself to dinner at Cedars Restaurant which has in our opinion Michelin Star levels of service and cuisine but CHECK your bill on departure at the front desk as we were charged an extra dinner billing which was reluctantly removed by a surly member of staff. Overall you will find warm friendly well trained staff at Lough Eske Castle but stay away from the front desk as you will be disappointed by the poor service standards which very much take the shine of the excellence of service Lough Eske Castle Hotel has to offer.

Room Tip: Book a room near the Hotel Reception as there are endless long corridors to negotiate if you are unl...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank MartinChieGeorgina
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your family to Solis Lough Eske Castle for your recent stay and thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback.

Your wonderful compliments regarding the castle and Cedars Restaurant are very much appreciated by the entire team who are delighted with your kind comments. We are thrilled that you all had such an enjoyable experience.

However, I am disappointed to hear that you encountered some issues including those at breakfast and at the front desk. Please accept my sincerest apologies and be assured that these do not reflect our usual high standards. I have passed the details to senior management who will be following up to ensure that these issues do not re-occur in future.

I do hope that you will return for another visit in the not too distant future and we look forward to welcoming you back to Donegal and to Lough Eske Castle on that occasion.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my husband in December 2013 and we were blown away. Have stayed in many 5 stars worldwide and this little beauty will be hard to beat. The staff were so efficient and friendly. The food was delicious in restaurant. The breakfast was fantastic.

The decor and hotel setting is something else has such a warm relaxing atmosphere. Loved every minute. So much so we have booked a return visit very soon. Next time we will avail of the spa facilities. We asked for a particular room - recommended by a friend -wasn't a problem. Can't wait to return.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank IRELANDSOUP
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you both to Solis Lough Eske Castle for your recent stay and thank you sincerely for your wonderful review.

I'm delighted to hear that you were both so impressed with the castle, that you had such an enjoyable experience and that you have already booked a return visit!

I have passed your kind compliments to the entire team and we look forward to welcoming you back again for your second stay soon.

Albany
Reviewed January 17, 2014

My wife and I took a one night respite from work at Lough Eske. It is in the wilds of Donegal near the Lough, but not exactly on it. Check-in was delightful and professional. Room was expansive and well appointed with radiant floor heat - a real luxury in the cold and damp of Donegal. In fact it was over-heated and very dry which made it difficult to sleep and there didn't appear any easy way to cool it down at night (perhaps my bad for not asking at receptions). Lunch was solid fare, but no more than that. My wife really enjoyed her spa treatment and said the spa was well appointed. Dinner was very good and not all that expensive considering - sides of yummy foie gras for 7E. Full Irish was mostly a buffet with a made to order egg/omelette section and was plentiful and met expectations. The grounds are appointed beautifully with tasteful landscaping and placement of lawn art etc. I guess it did not earn 5 stars because of the dryness and the fact that the toiled kept running and did not flush well. It was allegedly fixed by maintenance but it was not done properly. I would certainly recommend this hotel and will stay there when next in Donegal. If they step up their game a tad they definitely will earn 5 stars from me.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank swarttav
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa. We were delighted to welcome you to Donegal and I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your visit!

Your many kind comments regarding the castle are genuinely appreciated and it's great to hear that you intend to return for another visit. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the dry heat in your room and the issue with the toilet - I have passed these issues to our maintenance team who will ensure they are taken care of.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime very soon.

Kind regards,

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 16, 2014

What a wonderful experience, we found this place by chance and are sure glad we did!. This lovely old restored castle was our favorite place to stay in Ireland. It was expensive but well worth the extra. the rooms were deluxe, the bed extremely comfortable, we didn't want to get up out of the beds in the AM! We had dinner in the excellent restaurant in the evening and then the best breakfast we have ever tasted in our four month journey to Europe. Worth the extra money!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank George C
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa. We were delighted to welcome you to Donegal and I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your visit to the county so much!

Your many kind comments regarding the castle - especially regarding the comfort of your bed and the quality of your breakfast are genuinely appreciated! To say that it was the best breakfast you had during your four month trip around Europe is a wonderful compliment!

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again when you next visit Ireland.

San Diego
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We were invited to a wedding at Lough Eske Castle. Had we come to Ireland on our own, we would never have made it up this far north, but we are thrilled that we did. We stayed 2 nights at Lough Eske Castle. We enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back. However, there were a few glitches to mention. On our 2nd day, housekeeping came right as we were leaving. We asked for a few minutes but they never returned. We had to ask the front desk twice that day to please have housekeeping come. When they finally did, they only made the main bed and didn't make the rollaway bed. The room came with 2 bath towels, but we were 4 people. It took several phone calls to get extra towels. And then the next day after housekeeping came, they took the extras away and left us with 2 towels. Also, my husband left his shoes out for a shine (as instructed on the card) both nights, but they never picked them up.
That being said, every staff member we had contact with was very friendly and accommodating. The restaurant was delicious. The grounds were amazing. We didn't have any spa services, but used the amenities and were pleased.
We look forward to our next trip to Donegal.

Room Tip: If you travel during rainy season, ask for a room in the main building otherwise every time into the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank bah938
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa. We were delighted to welcome you to Donegal for the wedding and to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the region so much!

Your kind compliments regarding the hotel and staff/service are genuinely appreciated but I am disappointed regarding the issues you encountered with house-keeping. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and be assured that they do not reflect our usual high standards. I will follow these issues up with management in order to ensure they do not occur again in future.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your second stay during your next trip to Ireland.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!