Stayed 2 nights, for a wedding, in December.
On arrival we were helped with our luggage and pram, checked-in quickly and shown to our room. Room was stunning, clean and spacious.
I still struggle to justify the usual room rate but understand this is consummate with other 5* establishments.
Mention to the cleaner we passed on the corridor, who seeing we had a little girl with us, gave us a rubber duck to use in the bath.
On the first night we didn’t get to see much of the hotel but in terms of the events facilities as part of the wedding, I couldn’t find fault, food was hot and tasty, room turned around quick between meal and reception.
Probably worth mentioning my little girl was poorly and was in fact, sick in the hotel. Staff couldn’t do enough and made us feel at ease.
Second day/night – breakfast was great; we loved the “egg station” and couldn’t fault the food. Special mention to the female member of staff who seated us and seemed to be “hosting” breakfast, she was visiting tables, checking on diners, very friendly and attentive. She also gave us good local advice on where to visit during the day.
We drove into Donegal, which took us round 15 minutes, so the hotel is positioned well.
On our return, we used the pool – our daughter loved this, with it being glass fronted we could see out onto the courtyard area. Only fault here was the pool had a strange smell, which I can only describe as pond water! It didn’t put us off though as the water and surroundings were all visibly clean and well attended too.
Again, I struggle to justify the spa prices for treatments.
This evening we dined in the Gallery Bar and was our least enjoyable evening of our stay. Paid 15 Euros for vegetable cannelloni, which were two small rolls of pasta with little filling.
As we were splitting the bill, we worked out individual costs and realised we had been charged over 20 Euros extra than the prices listed on the menu, this was rectified straight away but made me wonder how often this happens if people don’t check their bills.
We were also charged a different price for the same glass of wine depending where we were (in the function room, from the bar, served via waitress etc)
Normally, I wouldn’t complain too much for discrepancies like this but for a 5* hotel, this should be happening.
Check-out was quick and efficient; we were taken to our car by a concierge with an umbrella to shield us from the typically Irish weather!
The same cleaner that had given us the rubber duck chased us down on our departure has we had left a teddy bear in the travel cot – really appreciated this as my daughter would have been upset if this was lost.
Overall a lovely stay with little fault, very helpful and attentive staff and I think that’s what makes the place so special.
Excellent choice for a special occasion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lough Eske Castle, a Solís Hotel & Spa is an historic castle dating to the 15th century and the O'Donnell Clan, the founding fathers of Donegal. Set in a secluded storybook location within 43 acres of native woodland on the shores of Lough Eske with the dramatic Bluestack Mountains as a stunning backdrop, it is the ideal place to relax and experience superior hospitality and exceptional friendly service. Winner of the 'World's Best Luxury Country Hotel' title in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 and topping 'My Guide Ireland's Top 10 Hotels in Ireland, this lovingly restored castle hotel blends its historic past with a dash of contemporary luxury where you can escape into a world of relaxed elegance. From the spa to the dining table to your beautifully appointed guestroom, we provide a truly accommodating environment where our dedication to the guest is thoughtful, reliable, consistent and complete - a place where superb service and superior amenities make every day here a perfect day. Step into Solís Lough Eske Castle, and you step into an imposing Tudor-baronial castle, lavishly refurbished in 2007 and extended to create the modern comforts and graceful luxury of a world class boutique hotel. With stunning views and easy access to the great outdoors, the natural, unspoiled landscape is as magnificent as the hotel itself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lough Eske Castle Hotel Donegal Town
- Solis Lough Eske Castle Donegal
- Solis Lough Eske Castle Hotel