“Good, but if you like a glass of wine, maybe stay elsewhere!!!”

Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed here on Apr 15 for 4 nights.
We stayed in the courtyard room which was very nice although the room was too hot and there was no way to control the temp (only a stat in the bathroom). We brought this up at reception who said they would look into it, but was never resolved.
Now, let me explain the title of this review.... 8.50 for a glass of wine is a joke (a very bad one)!!! Considering a glass of wine down the road in Harvey's Point is 3 Euro cheaper....You just CANT JUSTIFY that difference!
Would like to mention Jimmy in the bar, who was very friendly.
Pool area was very nice too. Food was good.
Overall a nice stay but nearly choked on the wine!!! Go eleswhere if you plan on having a few drinks(in particular wine).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank curefan
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa recently and for taking time to post your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay and that you enjoyed the pool area and the quality of the food - I have passed your kind compliments on to Jimmy who, as always, is delighted!

I am disappointed that you encountered an issue with the heating problem in your room and I would like to apologise for the inconvenience and for the fact that it was not resolved for you at the time. I can assure you that this is not our usual high standard of service and I have now brought this to the attention of our engineering department who will be double checking the heating systems to ensure that this is not a problem going forward.

I regret that you were dissatisfied with the price of our wine as we feel that €8.50 per glass is appropriate and represents good value for a quality, hand selected wine served by highly trained service professionals in ambient surroundings. Lough Eske Castle is a restored historic five star property with very high standards and we feel that our services are comparably priced to those of our equal competitors.

It's great to hear that, overall, you enjoyed your visit and I do hope that you will return to stay with us again in the very near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Simply the best Irish hotel we have ever been to.
The staff were fantastic and attentive without overdoing it.
The hotel is set in the countryside and is peaceful and quiet. The rooms were perfect and anything we needed was attended to without hesitation or fuss.
Other hoteliers should stay here just to see exactly how it should be done.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful endorsement of Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa and for your very high recommendation.

It was our pleasure to welcome you for your recent stay and we are thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience.

Each member of our service team is carefully selected and continuously trained to provide superior hospitality and service and I am delighted that you experienced our high standards at first hand.

Your kind comments are very much appreciated - the team delight in receiving this type of encouraging feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Lough Eske in the very near future.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This property was one of four we stayed at on a recent trip to Ireland and it blew the others out if the water! The service and facilities were phenomenal! We had dinner at the gallery bar and food was delicious. By far the highlight though was Nigel, our bartender! The quintessential Irishman - he was warm, witty, and engaging! We loved the evening we spent at the bar being entertained by him! Would love to spend a whole week at Lough Eske as there are many things in the area to see and do!

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the ladies and gentlemen at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, I would like to thank you for your wonderful review and for your very kind and encouraging comments.

Your compliments regarding our facilities and service are wonderful and we are delighted that you had such a great experience with us at the castle. Nigel is delighted with your very flattering remarks and would like to pass on his personal best wishes to you.

Perhaps you will come back to stay with us again to enjoy some more of Nigel's banter and to take in the many local things to see and do in the area that you didn't get around to doing during your trip! The local area has so much to offer.

We look forward to possibly meeting you again and welcoming you back to Lough Eske Castle sometime in the not too distant future.

Very best wishes from the team and kind regards,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had travelled quite a distance to get to the hotel, which resulted in us having a late lunch at 3pm. When we asked to make a reservation for dinner in the restaurant, we were offered 6.30pm,( too early) or 9.30pm ( too late). We couldn't get a table in the bar either at the time we wanted to eat (between 7.30 and 8.30). We ended up having to drive to Donegal town and look for a restaurant. This meant that my husband couldn't have wine with our meal as he was driving! At breakfast the following morning, we stood and waited for 20 mins at the hot food service, only to find out that people ahead of us were waiting for crepes prepared by the chef, made to order. All we wanted were scrambled eggs with salmon. We were then told by the chef that the scrambled eggs were self serve along with other items, except salmon which we could not find! We eventually found the salmon tucked away in another area entirely, along with the bread and cereals but by that time we had eaten our breakfasts.There were only two toasters so we had to wait our turn to use one, by which time our breakfasts were cold. There were no side plates at our table. We asked a waitress clearing a table nearby for some extra butter as we only had two very small flower shaped portions and she simply handed us the (exposed) butter from that used table! The hotel may be 5 star but the dining experience is nowhere near. The swimming pool is in a seperate building outside but we were not told this. We had been told we could wear the dressing gowns and flip flops down to the pool, which we did, only to be unaware of the walk in the cold outside. There was no attendant at the desk so we had to help ourselves to towels. The steam room was out of order and there was no sauna.Overall it was a very disappointing experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank girlabouttown31

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you both to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa for your recent stay.

I am genuinely disappointed regarding the issues you encountered in relation to breakfast service and in relation to being unable to reserve a table for dinner at a suitable time. Please be assured that these issues do not reflect our usual high standards and I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused and for the disappointment you experienced.

I have noted all of your concerns and will be raising each and every one of them with the relevant leaders and management in order to prevent this from occuring again.

If you would like to discuss these issues with me any further, please feel free to call me personally at the hotel during office hours - you can contact me at +353 7497 25100.

I do hope that you will give Lough Eske Castle another chance to prove its worth and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

A one night stay with dinner started with a very impressive drive up to the castle. Stunning surroundings and interiors whetted the appetite that was also enhanced by the wonderful Garden View rooms which are huge.

Having booked dinner, we arrived promptly only to be kept waiting for 15 minutes whilst our table was prepared. Whilst the food was decent enough, my steak was not as requested and the service times were very slow.

Upon clocking out, I made my comments to reception only to be told that a new head chef had just taken post. Taking this into consideration I feel that the hotel will take these criticisms on board and rectify the teething issues. A great location, hotel and room service.

Stayed: April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your review and for your very valuable feedback.

It was our pleasure to welcome you for your recent stay and I am thrilled that your were so impressed with our overall standards, the castle, your guestroom, room service, location and the surroundings.

However, it's disappointing to hear that you felt your meal was not up to our usual high standards and I would like to offer you a sincere apology.

As our reservations team discussed with you, we are in the process of handing over operations to our new Executive Chef, Nicolas, who is currently in the process of launching new and exciting menus and has great culinary plans for the castle!

I do hope you will return to sample our new menus and stay with us again sometime soon - I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Our 2 night stay wasn't nearly long enough. Beautiful grounds and fabulous hotel. You felt like royalty staying there. Great Irish breakfast each day. I would stay there a week! Booked through Septre tours.

Room Tip: There is no "bad" room. Truly wonderful.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ghoffBettendorf_Iowa

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa for your recent two night stay.

Thank you sincerley for your wonderful review - we aim to make your stay both memorable and enjoyable and to say that you 'felt like royalty' is the ultimate endorsement of everything we try to do for our guests!

I do hope that if you return to Ireland that you will come to stay with us again at Lough Eske - perhaps for a week this time!

I look forward to possibly welcoming you back to Donegal and to Lough Eske sometime in the near future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here in April 2013 as I was invited to a wedding at the castle. I don't often write reviews of places I have stayed but this place deserves a review as it was excellent. The surroundings were beautiful, the rooms were great and spacious, and the spa facilities great (Aromatherapy Associate treatments available). The breakfast spread was wonderful and the choice vast. All the things you'd expect at a good hotel but what gave this the extra edge and the reason I am writing this review is that the staff were just fantastic! Not in your face however ever so attentive and friendly and everyone I encountered seemed really genuinely happy to be there and help! That was the best part of it for me because I am a stickler for good customer service and Lough Eske def had it!! Also - just to add I am single but I went with friend's that had children and the place is child friendly too!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking time to post such a wonderful review of your recent stay with us at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa.

I am delighted that you had such a great experience and that you were so well looked after by our team - each of whom are carefully selected and continuously trained to provide superior service and genuine hospitality.

I am thrilled that you were so impressed with the castle and with our standards and I will be passing your kind and encouraging compliments on to the entire team.

Your recommendation is very much appreciated and I trust that you will return to stay with us again in the very near future and look forward to welcoming you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!