“one of the top 5 hotels in the country...”

Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed April 28, 2013

the pictures and description of the hotel on the website are wonderful but they do not do it enough justice... we stayed at the hotel recently for a wedding and are really looking forward to going back.... its really quite a magical place with lots and lots of interesting features. Rooms and staff, food and the setting... all wonderful...

Room Tip: some of the rooms have their own battlements and over look the front courtyard... grab one if you ca...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Guests,

Warmest greetings from the ladies and gentlemen at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa and thank you sincerely for your wonderful review!

I am delighted that you were so impressed with your recent stay and thrilled to hear that you cannot wait to return. To have the castle described as "magical" and as "one of the top 5 hotels in the country" is a great honour and we are all delighted that you had such a great experience.

Your kind comments regarding the food, the rooms, the setting and of course, our staff are greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Lough Eske sometime very soon.

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (2,434)

Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and i spent two nights at Lough Eske Castle last weekend and on the whole our stay was very enjoyable. We stayed in one of the garden suites, which are very expensive and were dismayed to find that, on our arrival, the suite had not been cleaned properly, the floor was very dirty, the fireplace had not been cleaned, panels on the doors and walls were thick with dust, the wardrobe door had black marks on it ( removable by cleaning). There was a large stain, obviously a childs drawing, on the settee. I complained at the reception desk and a cleaner was despatched, we received a muted apology. For the price we were paying we should have been given a discount for this unacceptable slip up. We were not offered this. Obviously management need to review cleaning procedures as we also noticed various windows around the building which were in need of cleaning and in the restaurant two large glass panels used as room dividers were really dirty. This gives a very poor impression of management at The Castle.

Having said all this the staff, throughout the building, were fantastic. The food was very good, we enjoyed meals in the restaurant and bar. The breakfast was excellent, the chef at the hot food counter really does a fantastic job.

The spa is of a very good standard, i enjoyed a couple of treatments and rate it very highly.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, but the cleaning issue is something that needs to be addressed, it is unacceptable at any establishment especially one graded 5 star.

Room Tip: Garden suites are best. Spacious with nice garen area
1  Thank Maureen N

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel and Spa recently. It's great to hear that your stay, overall, was enjoyable and that you were very impressed with our staff, with the quality of your breakfast and evening meals and with Spa Solis.

However, it's very disappointing to learn that you encountered some basic cleaning issues and I would like to apologise for any inconvenience and disappointment caused. This does not reflect our usual high standards but is totally inexcusable and should not have happened. Please be assured that senior management are currently reviewing our cleaning procedures throughout the hotel and remain dedicated to providing the unique and superior five star experience for which we are known for each and every one of our guests.

Your feedback is very valuable to us in our quest to achieve service excellence and I do hope that you will return to stay with us again in the very near future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I've just returned from Lough Eske after a one night stay. Hotel in general is top class but was disappointed on a couple of things. I took my two dogs and when I made the booking I sent the hotel an email confirming that I was bringing the dogs. They replied back saying that they would have bowls ready in our garden suite. Thankfully I brought my own because there were no bowls. Another annoying matter was the hotel had promised to have a small special birthday amenity ready for my partner as it was his 40th birthday, this was also confirmed by email. They had taken his name etc. I'm still waiting for this amenity Yes it was a free gesture by the hotel and hadn't paid for it but the hotel had suggested it so I was looking forward to the extra treat. Ah well. When I read other reviews about guests getting bowls, food and beds for their dogs.. I'm thinking our trip was a bit of a let down when it came to customer service. The garden suite has under floor heating and was far too warm. We only had doors to open not windows so couldn't keep them open during the night so was a sleepless night due to the heat in the room.
I must say though the staff were very friendly and made you feel very welcome. We ate in the bar for lunch and then restaurant for dinner. My partners sirloin was just average but my duck was absolutely gorgeous. Bar food was very tasty. Would I return? I don't think so, think I would try some where different just because of the disappointing customer service.

1  Thank 92540something
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

We were delighted to welcome you both, together with your two dogs, to Lough Eske Castle to celebrate your partner's 40th birthday recently.

I am delighted that you felt that the hotel in general was 'top class', that you enjoyed your meals in both the Gallery Bar and Cedars Restaurant and that you found our staff to be very welcoming and friendly.

However, I am disappointed to hear that both the amenity for your partner's 40th birthday and the accessories for your dogs were not placed in your room prior to your arrival and that the room was too warm for you during the night. Please accept our sincere apologies as these short-comings are totally unacceptable - please be assured that they do not reflect our usual high standards when it comes to customer service as our guests are our number one priority at all times.

I hope that you will return to visit us again sometime soon and give us the opportunity to prove just how wonderful the Lough Eske experience really is.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I can only reiterate the other postive reviews on TA. My wife and I went back for our second one night stay recently and enjoyed it even more than last year. The weather wasn't great but the comfort of the room and the cosy meal in the bar more than made up for it. We thought the meal in the bar was actually better than the meal we had last year in the restaurant. Our waitress Rachel was very helpful.

The spa and pool are good fun and my wife enjoyed her massage.

Big plus for us was being able to bring our two very well-behaved dogs, for whom the hotel even provided food and water dishes and a bed.

We had a TravelZoo voucher which got us a good discount so all in all a very relaxing good value stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you both back to Lough Eske Castle for your second stay with your dogs . Thank you sincerely for your positive review and I'm delighted that you had such a wonderful time. Many of our guests love to bring their dogs with them and agree that our beautiful Courtyard Rooms and Garden Suites coupled with the various woodland and lakeside walks make Lough Eske the ideal destination for them.

It's great to hear that you had such a great meal in the Gallery Bar, that Rachel looked after you so well and that you both enjoyed your experience at Spa Solís. I'm delighted that you had an even better stay than your first and that you feel that it was such great value - I trust that we can look forward to welcoming you all back for your third stay in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

A great stay in this lovely hotel, the thing that made the experience 5 star was the attitude of the staff, everyone we came in contact with was helpful & professional. Dinner was fantastic, and in very elegant surroundings, we were looked after by Caroline who couldn't have been more friendly and attentive. Followed by great service from Nigel at the bar. Its so refreshing to see people take such pride and enjoyment in their work. I can only compare this to the service levels you can expect in leading hotels of Asia. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you sincerely for taking time to post your wonderful review of your recent stay at Lough Eske Castle, a Solís Hotel & Spa. I'm delighted that you had such a great overall experience and that you enjoyed dinner in Cedars Restaurant so much - and that Caroline and Nigel provided you with such professional and personal service. We really appreciate your high recommendation of our staff and to compare our service standards to that found in the leading hotels in Asia is a great compliment and very encouraging - thank you again.

It's great to hear that you 'cannot wait to return' and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit very soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

stayed here for 1 night, and thoroughly enjoyed the place, hotel was lovely and the room was excellent and huge, food was great, seemed a tad expensive initially but when you seen what it included it was worth it, staff very very attentive without being over bearing, breakfast was fantastic, if i had one complaint, well 2 they would be the lawns around the front of the hotel were in a poor state of repair which was surprising,but maybe the hotel feel its more important to concentrate on the inside which is fine, 2nd was a female member of staff in the cedar restuarant, completely ignored me on 2 occasions and spoke directly to my husband like something from the datk ages where only men are worthy of acknowledgement, that was bizzare, however the rest of the waiting staff more than made up for it, no name badges on the staff so didnt get her name to mention at the time!

Room Tip: room 217 was very very warm

Dear Guest,

Thank you for coming to stay with us at Lough Eske Castle recently and for your wonderful comments regarding your overall experience.

It's great to receive such positive feedback in relation to your room, the food, our staff and the fact that you felt it was very good value. Your statement that you 'thoroughly enjoyed the place' sums up what was obviously a great experience for you.

However, I am both shocked and concerned about the incident you experienced with a member of staff in Cedars Restaurant. We take such matters very seriously and I will be pursuing this incident with relevant management to establish why it happemed and to ensure that it will not be repeated in future. Please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that this by no means reflects our usual very high standards when it comes to guest service and relations - as you experienced with all other members of our team who you say 'more than made up for it'.

I trust that you will return to stay with us again in the not too distant future and I look forward to welcoming you back to the castle.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here very recently and were quite disappointed with the place. Our first reaction as we drove up to the hotel was that of disappointment at an unkempt landscape, my husband speculating that is was a 'Nama hotel'.... It resembled a place where there appeared to be no family pride or real vested interest (I hope that makes sense to those reading this review) .The grounds and drive up were not at all impressive, quite the opposite, with random bronze statues strewn at various locations-had an heir of Celtic tiger tack about it. While the true beauty of a long tree lined drive was not at all well maintained, falling trees and just not well maintained landscape, not to mention crazy harsh sipped bumps with no warning signs or paint on or approaching them.
Anyhow the staff upon arrival were very very pleasant and the check in was all good.
We were running late so We literally dropped our bags to the room and scampered to the restaurant - I didn't take much notice of the room at that point. However I did notice later that there was a large stain on the carpet.... I've attached a picture, it was awfully dirty looking... Dread to think what it was.
The next morning I was looking forward to a hot soak before breakfast (as I don't have a bath in my home so this is considered a real treat when away) but the water was barely tepid.
We were there as part of a large group celebrating a big family event and we all had a meal in the restaurant as part of the package. I enjoyed mine very much (hake) but those who had the steak said it was below average, and these are men that are big into their steak! Also the residents bar closed at three, and as a group that very rarely get together for a night without kids we were hoping that we could kick back later than that-or at least have the option to.... But anyhow, that was it, the package was 295 for a bed and breakfast for two , this was pretty expensive so our expectations were high but unfortunately not met.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Keezie

Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure to welcome you to Lough Eske Castle recently and thank you for taking time to post your review. It's great to hear that you were well looked after by our staff and that you enjoyed your meal in Cedars Restaurant. However, I am disappointed that your overall expectations were not met.

As a restored historic castle, set in 43 acres of woodlands in an area of outstanding natural beauty, the grouds reflect both the rugged beauty of the region and the historic nature of the estate. These areas are very popular with our guests for rambling and exploring and I can assure you that there is a huge amount of pride in relation to how the entire estate is kept and presented by our very dedicated grounds team. The formal inner garden within the walled area has been deliberately enhanced to provide a nice contrast to the natural woodland around the estate and has been carefully designed to represent the original 19th century pleasure garden and is a very pleasant area for guests to relax.

I'm sorry to hear that you were not impressed with our tree-lined gravelled avenue which provides an authentic and scenic lakeside approach to the castle, or with our specially commissioned bronze sculptures which are strategically placed throughout the grounds to reflect the long history, fascinating mythology and wonderful nature-related aspects of the Lough Eske estate - as these are normally wonderful points of interest that are usually complimented by our guests.

However, I would like to apologise for the stain on the carpet in your room, for the lack of hot water for your bath, and for the fact that some of your party did not enjoy their steaks at dinner. These short-comings are totally unacceptable, but I can assure you that they are not representative of our usual high standards and therefore I hope that you will come back so that we can prove to you just how wonderful the Lough Eske experience really is.

If you would like to discuss your concerns any further please feel free to contact me at any time. I look forward to hearing from you soon and to welcoming you back for a return visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town
Donegal Manor
Donegal Manor
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!