“Five star luxury, six star staff!”

Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed for one night and though expecting a lot given the hotel's rating and its prices, we were delighted and surprised by some unexpected highlights. The staff are very welcoming and consistently courteous right from Samantha and Michael at reception to all the other staff you may meet in the corridors. The bedroom was huge and beautifully decorated with little surprise finishing touches such as the for poster bed, the heated floor in the bathroom and the courtesy drinking water in the fridge. The bed was cosy and ultra comfortable, the other facillities first class. Dinner, seated in a comfortable booth was a really enjoyable experience. The meal was full of taste surprises, the presentation was master chef standard and the service was outstanding. Breakfast reached the same high standards with a very satisfying range of enticing food on offer - one of the best breakfasts we have ever seen, a friendly chef at work and an attentive staff. The grounds are spacious and well cared for with lots of interesting little vistas and well placed statues to attract the eye. The swimming pool, spa and fitness suite are well equipped and attractively presented. In all, a great hotel, warm, welcoming and well worth a visit!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful review and recommendation - I am delighted that you such a great experience during your stay! You mention 'six star staff' which is a great tribute to our team who delight in making each and every guest's stay both memorable and enjoyable - a fact that is reinforced by the wonderful written compliments they receive from appreciative guests on a daily basis. Samantha and Micael were both delighted to read yoour comments! It's great to hear that you feel the hotel is 'warm and welcoming' and that you really liked the finishing touches in your guestroom as well as the food, the spa and leisure facilities and the grounds of the castle. I look forward to welcoming you back again for another visit soon. Best regards, Mark

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We went back for our anniversary for 2 nights last weekend. The staff were so gracious and friendly. The bedroom was fabulous, very spacious with a very comfortable 4 poster bed. (The guests at our wedding 3 yrs ago still talk about the bedrooms here). The bathroom was huge with heated floor and clean facilities.
We had breakfast lunch and dinner in the hotel and all were perfect. There is a great spread for breakfast with a chef making omelettes on the spot.
We had a voucher for dinner which was slightly out of date but the hotel honoured it which I thought was very honourable.
I had a treatment in the spa which was excellent and I had spent over 2hrs there!
The rooms near reception had great fires and it was so relaxing to spend the evenings there.
All in all its a great hotel and we will be returning.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank DublinSunseekers

Dear Guest,
It was our pleasure to welcome you back to Lough Eske Castle last weekend! I'm thrilled that you had such an enjoyable and relaxing time during your stay and I'm delighted to receive such positive feedback regarding every aspect of your overall experience. I have passed on your kind comments to the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back again for another visit in the not too distant future! Best regards, Mark

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed for one night on 8th March. Arrived early as we wanted to do a walk and visit leisure centre. The room was ready but it was a hell of a walk from reception area to the room although it was nice and close to leisure centre. Room was warm and well appointed. Bathroom floor heating was great. Mini bar was not cooled and the complimentary water was a nice touch but not cold. Bed was lovely and comfortable but the TV was very hard to work. Think it was the link between the remote and the box by the TV. Leisure centre was nice and had mostly the place to ourselves.
Ate in the bar. Had a very nice and helpful waiter and the food was nice but not amazing. My trout was good and the prawns were nice but scarce. Staff for the most part were friendly with good eye contact. Breakfast was amazing !!! Didnt want to leave it. The egg chef is not paid enough. he rest of it was pretty great too. Stayed on a Supervalu break, 150 euro for bed and breakfast so was well worth that but not sure if I was paying in excess of 200 with a 55 Euro per head dinner although, to be fair, I didnt try the restaurant so cant comment.
All in all very nice stay. Not fair to compare apples with oranges but the basic suite in Harveys was much nicer but then I hadnt a suite in the Solis. It was a courtyard room. The entrance is slightly confusing with a carpark on both sides and the exit if you are not going into Donegal Town but towards Letterkenny is not signposted well.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dermot D

Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us on 8th March and for taking time to post your review. Firstly, I'm delighted to hear that you had a nice stay and that you were impressed with your room, the spa area and especially with breakfast. Bill, our breakfast chef is a great character and gets lots of compliments! I'm disappointed that you felt your bar meal was not as good as you expected and that there were issues with the temperature of your mini bar and with your television - I can assure you that this is not our usual standard and our personnel in the relevant departments are in the process of ensuring that such issues are immediately corrected. We are also in the process of erecting some new signage. I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback as this greatly assists us with our improvement programme and I trust that you will return to stay with us again very soon. Best regards, Mark

Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was a fiftieth birthday treat. From the outset I want to stress that the great plus of this hotel is its staff who are all excellent. The room was very well appointed and we enjoyed the Spa. But the overall experience was very, very much let down by the Table d'hote menu at a cost of €55 per person - yet they charge a €4,50 supplement for vegetables - and an overpriced wine list starting at €32 - smacks of "rip off Ireland" all over again. We ordered the Autumn Salad as a starter - it consisted of a bunch of large Oloroso lettuce leaves, two cherry tomatoes halved, one segment of flabby pink grapefruit, two segments of yellow grapefruit and a tasteless dressing all thrown into a stewing bowl - disgraceful! The main courses of slow cooked duck and beef, the former served with a tiny amount of over salted spinach - the latter a shallot - we had to ask for some green vegetables as there simply was no other veg aside from the potato - beef and duck were good. Our waitress Caroline was excellent and understood how disappointed we were and offered us a port and digestive as compensation. The Maitre D also conveyed his sincere apologies we were grateful for their concern. However, this was not the fine dining experience we were expecting and it is such a shame that a careless chef brings down the other strengths of the hotel and alters what should have been a wonderful breakaway. My advice eat in the bar the service is impeccable, the food great - even though it all comes from the same kitchen - and it's less than half the price.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank TCLP
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing Lough Eske Castle for your recent 50th Birthday celebration stay and for your review. I'm glad to hear that you were impressed with your room, with our staff, with our spa and with the Gallery Bar - but disappointed to hear that you felt our restaurant menu was overpriced and that you were disappointed with the standard of the food you received. Please accept my apologies for what I can assure you is not our regular standard as our entire team are extermely quality focussed. Please feel free to contact me personally if you would like to discuss your experience further and I do hope that you will return to the castle again in the not too distant future. Best regards, Mark

Reviewed March 10, 2013

The old part of the Lough Eske Castle is a great venue. But the newer wing housing the restaurant and the stark corridor to it lack character. The food is mostly good quality but definitely overpriced. And the wine list is uninspiring and again, overpriced. Service was slow, but forgiveable since two of the staff serving us were new starters on their first evening and were enjoyably engaging.

One of our main courses was very disappointing with a most peculiarly spiced sauce effectively spoiling a reasonable shoulder of beef. Even then, what should have been a slow-cooked moist portion of best beef was a little dry, probably through poor selection of a piece without marbling. Any restaurant can make a mistake, but what was most disappointing was the experienced waitress who then argued black was white about the sauce, claiming it was a simple red wine reduction and the same as a companion's steak sauce. We tasted both and it was not, leading to a conclusion that someone had used the wrong sauce in the kitchen. The waitress then largely ignored our table, leaving a very bad impression. To his credit, feedback offered afterwards to the restaurant manager seemd to be listened to.

Would I return? Not to the restaurant given the performance this tme but I probably would be prepared to give the bar food another chance.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 27kwai

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Lough Eske Castle recently and for your review. I'm glad that you liked the orginal part of the castle but I'm disappointed to hear that your experience in our restaurant was not what it should have been. We pride ourselves on exceptional quality and serviceand I can assure you that this is not our usual standard. I can only apologise for the shortcomings that you encountered on this occasion. Please feel free to contact me personally at any time as I would like to help reassure you with regard to the very high standards for which our restaurant is known. I look forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you back to the castle. Best regards, Mark

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Have stayed here on a number of occasions now and from start to finish it has been excellent. Gorgeous rooms, attentive staff, outstanding food and a lovely warm and welcoming atmosphere. The spa is of the highest standard and the treatments are fabulous. Wind off your day with a "nutty Irishman" coffee in front of one of the warm and welcoming fires and you will never want to leave...we didn't!!

Will definitely return... Nothing is too much trouble here for the staff to ensure your stay is nothing less than perfection! A must visit, time and time again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Guest,
It was our pleasure to welcome you back again to Lough Eske Castle recently and thank you for such a lovely review. I'm so glad you had such a great time and that you found that everything was "excellent from start to finish". I look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future. Best regards, Mark

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Having left Ireland 20 years ago I am always nostalgic for good old fashioned Irish hospitality. I am glad to say I didn't find it in lough eske - rather we discovered a new professional, stylish, warm 5 star Ireland which was fantastic. A great new interpretation or irishness.

The hotel was a little hard to orientate at first, the castle is a small part of the overall hotel, however one soon gets used to it. Rooms are absolutely huge - particularly for Ireland, amazing bathrooms and a stunning spa which we used twice a day.

Undoubtedly the staff are the highlight of this oasis. Dressed in beautiful donegal tweed contemporary outfits they can't do enough for you in a warm open Irish fashion. Michael in particular was fantastic - they even arranged for free cycles for us to drive around the lake ( note this was hard work).

Breakfast was as god as we had anywhere in Ireland.

Go on treat yourself!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JKlondon09
SolisLoughEske, Guest Relations Manager at Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Guest,
It was our pleasure to have you both stay with us recently and thank you for such a wonderful review. Ireland has certainly changed over the past twenty years but the Donegal hospitality is still as sincere and as vibrant as ever - and this combined with the "new professional, stylish, warm 5 star Ireland" that you experienced during your stay with us is what we believe sets us apart. I'm delighted that you were so impressed with the hotel and the spa, but most especially with our team who genuinely care and constantly strive to make each and every guest's time at the castle both memorable and enjoyable. I have passed on your comments to our department leaders highlighting your special mention for Michael! and I hope that you will return to Lough Eske in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Mark

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!