Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
  • Breakfast included
Harvey's Point(Donegal Town)
$277
Hotels.com
Mill Park Hotel(Donegal Town)
$169
$165
Creevy Pier Hotel(Ballyshannon)
$106
$86
Dun Na Si Guesthouse(Ballyshannon)
$96
Agoda.com
The Abbey Hotel(Donegal Town)
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,521 results
All reviewscedars restaurantgallery barlough eskethermal suitestar hotelcourtyard roomunderfloor heatingsteam roombeautiful groundsmain buildingfive starfour poster bedpancakesbar foodomelettefirst classtreated like royalty
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Wow, what a stunning hotel. Worth every single star to its 5 star rating.

We stayed here with our in-laws after a trip from Limerick to Giants Causeway (we are from Australia), we booked two rooms for a night, it was a shame that we couldn't stay longer.

The rooms were massive, well set out with a huge king bed, sofa/couch, desk, table, oh and walk in robe; all in the biggest room I think that I have ever stayed in. The room had a warmth about it where you could just put your feet up and relax.

The bathroom was huge also, heated tiles on the way in, with a double basin, good size bath and candle/matches to compliment (which was a fantastic idea as I always love a bath with candles, and most hotel never think of it!), the shower was huge with a choice of a massive shower-head or normal shower head, and the bath products were just divine, lavender scented (none of the crappy run of the mill stuff you usually get).

The hotel itself had some beautiful sitting areas where you could order a drink by the fire. The grounds were amazing with dragons, beautiful gates, gardens and sculptures.

The only negative I would have would have been that getting in via the main entrance was a bit of a hike off the main road, and the back parking was closed (having a room at the back of the hotel, it was a bit of a hike from reception to our rooms).

The staff were also impeccable, very friendly and helpful.

Would recommend the 10min drive into Donegal town for dinner at the Old Castle Bar for dinner. We had breakfast at the buffet which was hot/cold buffet with an egg station where you could order as you like freshly cooked.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, it would be especially good for a special occasion!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bubiana
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We arrived in a downpour, and the first thing we saw were the lights of the chandeliers welcoming us out of the wet in grand style. This is a smaller castle than Dromoland or Ashford, but it holds its own with both. We had a deluxe room which was large and well done. The whole castle was immaculate and the staff were warm and friendly. Dinner was held in a large dining room with a flood of windows on the side that brought in the light, and on that day let us look out on the gardens as the rain fell. But we were not complaining, what a wonderful place to be on a rainy day. While dinner was good, it was not exceptional, what was, was breakfast. A full Irish breakfast was to be had and it was simply wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I attended a fantastic wedding at the hotel. The wedding was well-organised and ran soomthly. The weather held out but evening if it had of rained the 'wet-weather' plan meant that the day would have been just as enjoyable.

The room was lovely; clean and comfortable. The location was beautiful and remote yet close enough to Donegal Town. I would recommend another sign on the N15 from Ballybofey to the hotel as it I missed the turn-off and there are no signs in Donegal town centre. The service was very good and I thinjk that the only suggestion would be if a table has finished a course then when there are enough staff to clear it they should clear it concurrently and a comfortable amount of time after the last person on that table has finished eating.

All-in-all a very enjoyable stay and a fanastic wedding.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed October 22, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from the most divine weekend at lough eske castle. We fell under its spell as our car turned the last corner of the driveway and the magnificent castle came in to view. Rising majestically from the surrounding flaming autumn trees, we were entranced.
The castle has been beautifully restored to a palatial 5star treat. We were greeted at the reception by polite helpful staff, (dressed in beautiful Donegal tweed uniforms) who offered to have our car parked and with dazzling smiles, called the porter over to assist. he lifted our bags and guided us to our suite.
On the 2nd floor of the main castle, our large room was beautifully decorated and appointed. Views over the manicured lawns sprawled on the hills and lough beyond. The ensuite bathroom had twin basins, a separate toilet and wet room...a double ended bath even had a tea light, candle and matches...the 1st sign of the wonderful attention to detail.
Off we headed to the spa, a short walk through the gardens with the fountains, bronze sculptures and trimmed box hedges (like something in Hampton Court). Greeted again by smiling, attentive staff, our facials and back massages left us relaxed and truly pampered. Fresh smoothies, mineral water and herb teas were all on offer, as we relaxed in our cosy terry gowns. The pool and gym i gave a miss...but my husband was most impressed when he visited later in the weekend. It is open 24 hours if you want, though I didn't feel the need to partake!!
Upon returning to our room, the kind room service people had left a plate with apples, some apple tart (and the recipe if you wanted to try to recreate at home) and a heavenly apple and cinnamon scone with soft butter.
Surely life couldn't get any better...we we wrong,,
Dinner that night was a sublime affair at our 'booth' table...well worth requesting a booth when booking your table! we had mouthwatering lamb and chicken respectively. The chef sent out a delicious mushroom taster soup...I wanted to cry that the bowl wasn't bigger! When we got to the pudding menu, I went for the lemon parfait..mmmmmm. My husband opted for the cheese and said to our attentive waitress, Caroline, that the one thing he would have liked was a proper pudding...sticky toffee or bread and butter, or an apple crumble!, she happily volunteered to get some apple tart from the bar restaurant as it had been on the menu earlier...but husband declined on that occasion, but suggested chef might consider tradition puddings during the winter.
The next night at dinner, in our usual booth, chef had made my husband his very own sticky toffee pudding!! We we both overwhelmed that our suggestion had been passed on...and acted on! Delicious it was too!
Breakfast on both mornings was a divine affair...with me (the non breakfast eater) having 2nd helpings at the hot food...omelette and pancakes cooked fresh for you by the lovely chef,,so more ish was the breakfast, that you don't need to eat again til dinner!,
We loved sipping Hendricks gin and tonic with fresh cucumber in the snug morning room, under the watchful gaze of the fab Pat Doherty's portrait..painted by lucien Freud. Had it not been for this great man's vision, lough eske castle would still be a derelict ruin not the divine hotel it now is.
We borrowed the hotel bikes to cycle round the lough...and burn of some of the consumed calories..head down the main drive and turn left towards the main road..the route anti clockwise means its mostly downhill...except an uphill struggle on the final edge of the lough. With wobbly legs, I stumbled back in to the hotel for a latte by the peat fire...I think had I asked one of the attentive staff would have even massaged my aching calves!

To summarise, the 5 star hotel is the most beautiful place we have ever stayed...my husband flies the world with work and he conceded he has never stayed in better. The staff are so attentive and helpful, but without any snottiness that can sometimes be felt in a top notch hotel. We felt like royalty...and every guest we saw, and spoke to, was in orbit too about Lough Eske. The food, bedrooms and decor is all superb,too. I have tried very hard to think of any constructive criticism...there is none to give! Lough eske is a wonderfully special place..a magical place..
The spell wasn't broken until we left this morning...sadly we had to return to the real world...but we will be back!

Room Tip: Garden suites are huge...and great for kids as straight out onto lawns.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple