“a little slice of heaven!”

Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Had a wonderful short trip away here with two of my female family members . Gorgeous place - I loved the restoration of the castle and how they have incorporated the modern side of the hotel with the old. Really enjoyed chilling out in front of the open fire for afternoon tea and later with a glass of wine at night. The spa was great - really enjoyed the relaxing experience (my first time getting a massage and facial) and it was lovely to just chill out out in. Loved that they've kept the look of the old green house when placing their spa here.
Our bedroom was very spacious - the big bed was very comfortable indeed and I loved the bathroom - my only complaint would be that we couldn't be offered a room that had three beds (or a double and a single) and I felt that to put a small fold up bed in a double room and charge the full rate for three people (ie 50% more on the room rate) was a bit much. surely an extra 30% or thereabouts would have been more realistic. Especially as the room was still only set up for two people (we had to request extras such as towels, bathrobes, slippers, glass and tea & coffee provisions after checking into our room.)
The breakfast was brilliant - the best I've had in a hotel. Couldn't fault it (although the staff were quite hasty in trying to get plates removed from our tables)
I have to say that I found the staff very friendly and we were made feel most welcome. Would stay again (when I save up enough I'll go with my husband!). Next time, I'll be better prepared for talking some nice strolls or going a ride on the hotel's bicycles.

One point I'd like to add is that I'd loved to have been able to see some literature or something in the foyer telling me about the castle's history. On hindsight, I should have asked the staff, but it would have been lovely to have known a bit about the castle's past.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CiaraD78
Write a ReviewReviews (2,434)

Reviewed April 27, 2011

We got married at the castle on the 25th March this year and are now settling down to married life after a wonderful wedding and honeymoon. To say our wedding went perfectly is an understatement. From the moment we booked to the place to now, hearing all our family and friends tell us how wonderful the day was, how beautiful the location and how fabulous the castle was as a place to stay. The 2 nights that most people stayed were more like a luxurious retreat wig the highlight of a wedding to go to! I must say the quality of staff, service, food and amenities were first class. The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble from the moment you walk into the grand entrance. This place is so warm and inviting... It has the ambience of a small family hotel with all the grandeur and amenities of a 5 star castle. The wedding ran smoothly .... It was the best day of my life thanks to Marleen and Noreen and all the hotel staff who made it happen. We will definitely return in the future. Signed, Janice and Craig McBride :))

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank JanMojoBelfast
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Gorgeous hotel, set in rural Donegal. Blue Stack Mountains surround the hotel, and also a lake. I highly recommend the food at this hotel. Breakfast is probably the best I've ever had. Dinner was also lovely. I would definitely stay here again for a relaxing break, i just need to save a while!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Just home from 4 nights in a Junior Suite.....
What a wonderful hotel!!!!
Myself, husband, two young kids and my parents (who stayed in a deluxe room)
just fell in love with the hotel.
We only left the hotel once the whole time we where there!!
Roaring turf fires, great food, the pool and spa.....luxurious bedrooms......it was perfect!!
Go!! Really, just go!!.....if you live in Ireland like me, you wont even feel like you are in Donegal.........you could be anywhere in the world!
Just perfect!!

Room Tip: deluxe room with patio doors to garden lovely!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura330
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights for a friend's wedding with our 15 week old baby. I have to say that the hotel is very beautiful and luxurious. Grounds lovely for a walk around and a short walk to the edge of lough - stunning! Even before we arrived I had good impression of hotel over the phone as I called to ask for quiet room for baby and travel cot. All no trouble at all - think it was Tracey on reception who looked after our request & was lovely to meet her when we got there! Our room was very quiet and spacious and travel cot came with linen etc and no extra cost. Even at breakfast all the staff making sure baby was ok and offering pillows etc. Staff all very friendly - especially the breakfast chef who cooks your eggs as you like them in front of you & even went out to get Nutella for one of the wedding party who requested it! Breakfast yummy! Had food in Gallery Bar - very good too. Wedding was great & food beautiful too. I really liked the secluded setting of castle up a long drive way, the fact it doesn't overlook lough didn't bother me at all. Spa looked lovely but didn't get chance to use. Would love to return and have a few treatments. Overall a great stay - forgot to mention the lovely log fires everywhere. Lovely also that a porter takes you to your room & explains room features. Water free in mini bar a nice touch too. Do not hesitate to go here - you will not regret it!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Stayed here on leisure for a few spa treatments, place was beautiful, cant help relax when you arrive on the grounds. Staff friendly and nothingg is too much trouble. Food was fabulous and totally reccomend

Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Couldn't find fault with this hotel. The best hotel I have ever stayed in. Pity it was just one night!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town
Donegal Manor
Donegal Manor
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!