“4 day break to donogol”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed March 2, 2014

we booked a 4 day break with caladonian travel for a january break for 99 pounds each .we traveled over on the monday and reached abbey about 5/6 pm we had a lovely 3 course meal which was a bit cold but there were 4 bus loads ,i thought this not good ,there was entertainment on ,my hubby went and enjoyed it but i was a bit tired so went to sleep the room was great and clean and i slept all night .next day we went down for breakfast it was lovely and fresh usual cornflakes ect juice toast tea and coffee and hot bacon sausages eggs and tomotoes that night the meal was lovely and same with next night staff were very helpful we toured about the area went into a few pubs in square had a realy nice break

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelbug170945
Angela21014, Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Madam,
Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted to hear that you had a really nice break. We are an ideal base for touring our wondering county and within close proximity to a wide number of tourist attractions. I apologise that your food was a bit cold on the first night but I am glad to hear that everything was to your satisfaction for the remainder of your stay. We would be delighted if you choose to stay with us again in the future. Best Wishes.

There are newer reviews for The Abbey Hotel

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for three nights as part of coach trip late February.
Comfortable clean and roomy bedroom and bathroom, pleasant staff and great breakfast to get you started in the morning.
A personal Like was the use of a tot sheet on the bed along with the duvet.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Angela21014, Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear Donald,
Thank you for your review received, it was a pleasure having you as a guest here and delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers who may be planning a break. We do hope you will return and stay in the future. Best Wishes

Reviewed February 26, 2014

I planned my sister's hen party in the Abbel hotel earlier this month and I have to say-from the very first phone call when I made enquiries to the minute 40 hens left the hotel the service was first class. I worked with the hen party co-ordinator Angela who basically organised the whole thing for me. When we arrived staff had the room lists sorted and were extrememly patient while I sorted out the payment for the party. A fanastic reception team. I also needed assistance in setting up a slideshow..again nothing was too much trouble for anyone there was a very helpful employee who set the whole thing up for. The manager also checked in to make sure everything was running smoothly. The waitresses set up the room for dinner and it was amazing..without having to be asked they untangled balloons and set them up beautifully around all the tables and it really looked fantastic. My sister and 40 girls had a night we will never forget and I will definitely be back! i have been spreading the good word ever since! Thank you to the Abbey Hotle for a wonderful night!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa F

Hi Lisa,
Thank you very much for your recent review and comments received. It was a privilege working and corresponding with you and I am delighted that you all choose the Abbey Hotel as the Hen Party destination and everything was to your satisfaction. We would be delighted to have you all return to stay with us in the future. I will pass on your comments to all members of the staff. Thanks & Kind Regards to all.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Just back from a weekend in the Abbey Hotel with a group of friends.
The hotel appeared to have a nice atmosphere and the staff were all helpful and pleasant, however....and it is a big however...the standard of cleanliness left a lot to be desired. Our bedroom carpet was filthy and stained and the inside of the bathroom door was very dirty. The various toilets around the hotel, especially later in the day, became very dirty and did not appear to be inspected very often, if at all.
On Saturday night there was a disco in the basement nightclub, the artificial smoke that they must have been using permeated the downstairs of the hotel, the bar area and right into the lobby and reception areas. In the bar there was a 2 piece band playing, after they stopped a very loud rock band started...Ear plugs needed!
Meanwhile revellers were milling about, drinks in their hands and hanging around the lobby and reception areas as well as the bar. They tended to drift in and out of the front door, where outside were more drinkers all hanging around the front of the hotel.
All in all, this could not be described as a family orientated hotel.
Food......We have never, and I mean NEVER had worse service or food in any hotel.
Some in our company were still waiting to be served while others at the same table had finished their meal.
The food was inedible and appeared to be frozen rubbish just heated up. No self respecting chef would ever serve paying customers the garbage we were expected to eat. The turkey was stringy and the veg appeared to be either frozen or canned, what I think were supposed to be potatoes were a funny grey colour and were not eaten. Another guest ordered beef casserole, but gravy soup would describe it better. the "home made" desert was soggy and appeared to be frozen trash just defrosted.
One small laugh we did have was on the hotel restaurant board where great claim was made that "all our food is sourced locally and can be traced from farm to fork" I would like the hotel to tell me what farm produced my stringy turkey.
Breakfast was acceptable, but only if you like sausage, bacon, egg, beans and toast.........every morning. But if, like some of our group, you would prefer fresh fruit, cheese, perhaps a croissant then you will be very disappointed.
All in all, the worst hotel I have ever visited, and NO...... none of us will be back.
And, by the way, I would welcome comments from the hotel management, and prove me wrong in any of this.

Room Tip: Just go somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank gerald f
Angela21014, Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Gerard,
Thank you for your comments received and your mention of our helpful and pleasant staff. We are disappointed that you did not speak with a member of management to address some of these issues whilst you were staying here. At your convenience if you would like to contact the Hotel directly and ask to speak with the General Manager he would be happy to discuss same.
Kind Regards.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Had a great time the staff were lovely and welcoming the food was great the room was spacious and clean the hotel is in the centre of town opposite a lovely square and a river at the back of the hotel we left our house keys in our room and are now being returned to us thank you we would return you should certainly stay at the abbey also entertainment at night

Stayed: February 2014

Dear Sir/Madam,
On behalf of the Abbey Hotel, thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay , we have a dedicated team of staff to ensure everyone is looked after and that they have a memorable stay. We look forward to your return and hope your keys arrived safely to you.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Our accommodation was off high standard and could find no fault here. However the food was appalling who would expect jelly and ice cream for a sweet when asked if there was a alternative the answer was no!!! Decided on the second night to ask for a salad as I don't like fish or lamb was asked if I had a dietary requirement or allergy three times!! Salad consisted of 2 slices of ham a small serving of lettuce and a 2 pieces of tomatoe and waited 15 minutes for some salad dressing. ( Ate elsewhere the next night. ) Served by people that had no training and no interest it was as quick as they could get the food out as the plates were dumped down on the table.The lady who seems to be in charge had no interest in the quality of service, but then four coach loads of dinners was to much off a challenge! Would never return.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Elaine M
Angela21014, Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Hello Elaine,
Thank you for your comments, I have taken on board all that you have said and will certainly look into it in more detail with each department, I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused. I am glad to hear that your accommodation etc was to your satisfaction. I do hope you will change your mind and please return to stay with us in the future. Best Wishes.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Don't expect the Shelbourne Hotel or similar. This hotel is on the Square in Donegal town and is very well located to kick out to West Donegal (Slieve League cliffs in particular) or drop down to Mullaghmore, Drumcliff or Sligo town itself.

Our bedroom was fine with decent en suite (although large bath towels were, well, too small), although the room itself is probably coming close to a having a fresh coat of paint.

The bar is big and decent, but breakfast was nothing to write home about: no dedicated continental-type food: just cereal and lots of bacon, sausages and eggs. And why do these places insist on serving tea or coffee in those horrible metal pots?

One major negative point was the smoking in the small foyer to the outside street. Every time I came in through the doors, there were always smokers standing there. Probably the biggest negative from my viewpoint. (When I pointed this out at reception, I was told that they could do nothing about it.)

The staff were very pleasant and if I were staying again in the Town, I think I would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river. You won't hear the nightclub so much.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AvidIrishReader
OisinMcAbbeyHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of the hotel. I am sorry that you had a negative experience and I will follow up on your comments today. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and would come back to visit The Abbey Hotel. Kindest regards The Abbey Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to The Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!