“A hidden gem”
Review of Rhu-Gorse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Donegal Town
Rhu-Gorse
Ranked #28 of 44 Donegal Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent an evening at Rhu Gorse and we both thought it was beautiful! The owner Grainne was great at communicating with us to arrange our stay, and she was so so helpful in meeting our requirements and organising a wheelchair accessible room. The whole place was spotless, warm and beautiful. The breakfast we had prepared for us was fit for a king! Wonderful location, home and lady. Thank you Grainne (and Diesel) for a fabulous stay.

Laura and Paul

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed for a wedding at Harvey's point. The b&b was more than we could have hoped for. Location perfect and overlooking the lake. Really beautiful place. Graine welcomed us with home made cakes, coffee and tea next to the open fire. Wow! The room was immaculate and relaxing with an amazing view. The breakfast was massively indulgent and very good quality food. Easy to get to Harvey's point also. Brilliant place, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed August 21, 2013

It was raining when we drove in and the owner took us to a lovely living room and made a wonderful fire in the fireplace and came with a pot of tea and home made cookies. It all felt so perfect after driving around in the rain all afternoon The details in the accommodations are really exquisite. Everything from the bed coverings, the fabric in the curtains, original art work, woodwork details to the stucco finish in the living room and fresh flowers everywhere. And the view over Lough Eske! Breakfast was equally exceptional with fresh raspberries and cherries. I don't know as I have ever stayed in such a lovely place. Beautiful.

Room Tip: I don't know if all of the rooms had the wonderful view that our did.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
RhuGorse, Owner at Rhu-Gorse, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us in Rhu Gorse and thank you for your warm and complimentary review.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed two nights here with my son on our two-week trip around Ireland. I WILL return as soon as I can. The views from our room of Lough Eske were breathtaking in their peacefulness. Grainne McGettigan, the owner is a wonderful host. She offered us coffee or tea when we arrived in the middle of the afternoon. Breakfast was elegant, cooked to order (by Grainne), and exactly what we needed to get on our way. Rhu Gorse is about eight kilometers from Donegal Town, but don't let that hinder you. A short and beautiful drive takes you right into town or out to the N 15 for a wonderful tour of Donegal. When we were there, a mare and her foal watched our every move as we left for sight seeing. Ask Grainne about the area and she'll gladly share her more than 20 year experience. The sitting room is quiet--and this is Grainne's house, so it's kept in perfect shape. I cannot recommend this B&B more highly. This was a brilliant find. I especially recommend it for couples (I plan to take my wife there when I return).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
RhuGorse, Owner at Rhu-Gorse, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Wow thank you for your review. I feel like taking a holiday in Rhu Gorse myself! It is always gratifying to know that my guests have been happy and comfortable here.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

What a wonderful surprise in a beautiful place .It is magical and sent me back to my childhood stories of woods, both Irish and European.There is something there for everyone to explore ;a unique place which deserves to be better known .Please,Failte Ireland ,take note .A very sincere thank you to Grainne for the warm welcome and for the fresh fruit salad at breakfast,something I never had in a B&B before.Apart from food I could live on the view alone.
Every success to Grainne and family.M.C,--July 27th

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
RhuGorse, Owner at Rhu-Gorse, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review and glad you were able to enjoy your overnight in Rhu Gorse. Your descriptions capture the essence of our location which hopefully will be enjoyed by many more travellers in future!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at Rhu Gorse as part of our Bluestack Way hike. The owner made us home made scones and coffee and gave us lift down to Harveys Point for dinner. Hospitality without comparison. The place itself is wonderful, the view over Lough Eske is breathtaking and the house is cottage style and something to remember. The ultimate B&B!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
RhuGorse, Owner at Rhu-Gorse, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. I hope your hike over the Bluestacks was an enjoyable experience and glad you enjoyed your stay at Rhu Gorse

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here for a night while travelling around Donegal and wished we could have stayed longer. the owner was very welcoming and friendly and gave us useful recommendations for local trips and activities. the natural beauty surrounding this B&B is difficult to describe. our room looked out over the spectacular woodlands and lake. we had the moon rising up over the lake at night and the sun beaming in the next morning. the tranquility of this place can really only be experienced. i went for a short walk around the many paths and tracks nearby and saw a buzzard and a pair of kestrels hunting. hard to believe you are only 5 minutes from the town.

we enjoyed a truly memorable short stay, and will definitely be back again. the room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean, and the breakfast is one of the best i've had in years.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tim M
RhuGorse, Owner at Rhu-Gorse, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

It makes my heart sing to get a review such as yours!. In the short time you were here you got such a lot out of your stay. Right now the young buzzards are making a rumpus so I assume they are just learning to fly, and just the other day I saw a large hare in the garden, the first for many a year so I hope we will see more in the future.Thank you for posting!