“ne of my favorite spots!!”

The Arches Country House
Ranked #3 of 44 Donegal Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 17, 2008

This was the third time that I have stayed at The Arches Country House and I will continue to return. Although Co. Donegal is a bit remote for many tourists, it is well worth the trip and The Arches is the only place to stay!! Noreen McGinty is charming and consistently ensures that her guests are comfortable and satisfied. The Arches sits on a knoll overlooking Lough Eske and the view of the lake from the sitting area in the room is extremely relaxing. The rooms are among the best I've seen. A DEFINITE choice for those traveling to Donegal.

• Stayed: May 2008

Reviewed May 29, 2008

Booked the tour around Ireland and then realised the Champions League final was on Wednesday night. Noreen reasurred us that we would be able to watch either in our room or in the lounge.
Sad I know to be in such a beautiful part of Ireland with magnificent views etc and wanting to watch football but some things cannot be missed.
We were made very welcome by Noreen and settled in to watch the match after relaxing and admiring the beautiful house,grounds and our very comfortable room.
Well, the best team won eventually and one of us went to bed happy. (Other half is a Chelsea supporter).
We enjoyed a delicious breakfast, I can recommend the scrambled egg with sour cream and chives.
Although we only stayed one night we felt very welcome at the Arches and thank you again Noreen for the use of the tv in the lounge.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2007

I love this place. Great host who is helpful to a fault, good breakfast, nice clean rooms, super views. The only slight drawback I can think of is that it's a few miles from Donegal town - and if it wasn't, you wouldn't have those great views over the Lough. You'll not go wrong here. Do book though, as it can be very busy even in low season.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ArferDent
Reviewed September 21, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Arches last weekend for one night on our Donegal trip. It was a very nice, clean and spacious B&B with a fabulous view, overlooking Lough Eske. Bedroom was bright, airy and tastefully decorated. It was a very memorable stay and not too difficult to find. Highly recommend staying there. Breakfast was very picturesque and guests attending a wedding in Harvey's Point did not disturb us in the middle of the night. Be sure to book in on your next trip to Donegal.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tinseltoes
Reviewed August 10, 2007

I stayed at the Arches last weekend and it was fantastic! While the rest of my friends stayed at the very expensive (but nice) Harveys Point, I stayed in the very comfortable and welcoming Arches. My room was lovely with a magnificent view over the lough (better than any of the hotel views), Noreen made a magnificent breakfast and generally did a fantastic job of looking after me! Couldn't have asked for anything more and will certainly return there if/when I go back to Donegal!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vandita
Reviewed June 27, 2007

All the guest rooms, dining room and garden have beautiful views of Lough Eske. The Arches is clean, well equipped and spacious and Noreen McGinty is a charming, efficient hostess. Donegal is a stunning county to visit and The Arches is a good base or passing through stop. The only minor drawback (which applies to most of the B&Bs) is the need to drive about 5 miles into Donegal town for an evening meal /dinner. I would definitely recommend The Arches.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Moriarty
Reviewed June 22, 2007

Just wanted to say that this place is still great since I haven't seen any recent reviews. Beautiful setting, gracious host, impeccably clean rooms. Fairly dark road to the house after the trad session in Donegal town, but worth the experience.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple