“Bliss!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Sea Ranch Lakes, FL
“Bliss!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

Your hotel was a beautiful and restful place with outstanding rooms and food. We enjoyed the tub baths with classical music and bath salts! The smell of the peat fires is still one I can remember and it makes me smile when I think of our time with you there. I would LOVE to come back again. Thank you for such a great place to stay!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,221)
Dundrum, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

All the staff were frendly and professional. The food was outstanding and the bedrooms were 5 star! We really enjoyed our stay andalready plannng ou next visit!.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank DonnaMurdock
Newry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

This is a goodt hotel to stay in in terms of the accomodation but on balance not great for service. Better than Lough Erne Golf Resort in Fermanagh which is meant to be five star by a long way.

Lets us start, check in is officially not til 4.0pm which is bad from for a leading hotel, angry representation the previous evening shortend this unitl 2.00pm, but which was more acceptable but I shouldn't have had to use such strong representation to receive such basic service. The staff strongly argued 4.00PM was a reasonable check in time, such an argument was untenable and I think even the most seasoned traveller would agree.

In my opinion, the staff have a mental block with service and this is the same with all leading hotels in the region.I can't put my finger on it only to say if you stay four of five star in London / Paris / New York, the service is so much more polished. The little things add up to make a good experience great.

I have concluded from reading the reviews of leading Irish Hotels that there are two types of guests who in irish Hotels, ones who have stayed in 4/5 star hotels outside of Ireland and those who have not.

The reason I make this distinction is because what many people perceive to be a 4/5 star experience in ireland would only be 3 star in many other cities / countries but because they have never stayed in a leading international hotel outside of Ireland, they automatically assume what they are experiencing is a 4/5 star experience.

For example, all staff were absent the reseption desk when I made an enquiry during my stay when it should be manned by some one at all times, my wife and I being asked to move from a table being advised the table is reserved but no "reserved" sign placed on the table to indicated that it has been reserved is poor.

Expecting guests paying hundreds of Euros per evening to use UHT Milk sachets when small jugs of milk could be plased in each of the rooms for little or no costs is also poor. Dead batteries in the TV remote, poor, no newspapers in the residents reading room, poor, It soulnd picky I know, but this is the "polish" that turns a good stay into a "great" one. I have not stayed in a five star hotel in Ireland that gets this.

All I can suggest is that management need to send staff to be seconded in a London 4/5 suchs as the Lanesborough / Royal Lancaster / Claridges so they can start to understand what "Great" service is. I appreciate Irish Staff are friendlier and more chatty but they just don't get customer service. I guess this is a cultural thing.

On balance I enjoyed this hotel and will retrun to stay. It helped make a recent stay at the Lough Erne Hotel seem even worse that it was as Harveys point is vastly superior in all areas.

For the foodies amongst you, the fine dining restaurant lets the experience down.

Remember this hotel is in Donegal, and you cannot demonstrate Irish Hospitility through the medium of Haute Cuisine, otherwise known as "Poncy" food.

I dont understand why the management don't get this given a meal is £100 a head. The restaurant was 2/3 empty in a saturday when it should be packed, why? You don't need the skills sherlock homes to figure this one out....I guess the management need some outside help.

Simply put, the food is not in tune with the guests staying there, hearty meals leaving you feeling well fed would be better and I think if the management should again visit leading restaurants in London and New York they will quickly realise tha Haute Quisine has fallen from grace, it is so pre recession charging a big price and serving ver little.

I hope on my next visit the restaurant reflects the warmth of a Donegal, Irish welcome as I strongly moot to the management that you should not be able to leave an Irish restaurant hungrier that when you arrived.

An example would be my pregnant wife ordered Scallops quietly commenting her fear of food poisoning, When her dish arrived we both laughed ou loud that food poisoning would be an imposibility given the small portion of the 2 scallops served.

This from a restaurant located five miles from Killybegs Ireland's largest fishing port. I fear for the livelyhoods of local fishermen given the small portions served.

So my message to the management, focus on the "polish" i.e. the little things and revamp your food offer and you hotel would be "world class" You are talking an additional 1-2% effort to do this as so many things are great in this hotel.

Jollygirl66, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Thank you for your detailed review of Harvey's Point. Currently in our 22nd year of welcoming guests to our hotel, it is our sincere hope to offer high standards and a warm welcome. In relation to our food offering, we have built up a solid reputation for our fine dining restaurant and we are proud of the accolades that it has received. Our four course dinner menu is priced at €59 rather than £100 per head. However, we concede that perhaps the market has changed and that is why we have introduced our popular wine bar this season which offers affordable and wholesome food in a relaxed ambience. Therefore we can offer our guests the option of fine dining or casual dining.

It is fair to say that there can be varied levels of hotel-keeping when one benchmarks with international hotels and this can indeed be confusing for the discerning traveller. It is our philosophy to do our best to exceed expectations at four star level rather than underperform at five star classification. We will continue to strive towards continuos improvement and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Harvey's Point.
co, down
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

My Husband and i stayed here two years ago for my 50th birthday, We had a wonderful time i was speaking with friends and telling them about this Hotel that we found and how wonderful it was. Our friends came with us this time and we had a wonderful time together. If life is getting hard go stay at Harvey' s Point sit back enjoy the Lough take in the view and thank God there is a little bit of heaven tucked away at Lough Eske,

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Co.Down, N.Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

We have just returned from another 4 x night stay at this stunningly beautiful & peaceful hotel, and although we stayed here at Easter, our return visit did not disappoint.
Why is this hotel so appealing ? - Well, the location is beautiful - regardless of weather & Ireland's renowed 'Soft Rain'; the staff are always very welcoming, courteous & helpful - including the owner, Deidre, who makes all her guests feel at home; the accomodation is superb - room sizes to suit everyone; and, last, but by no means least, the food is delicious! ( A big plus on this visit is the extended food menu in the Wine Bar).
I love Harvey's Point - it is a very special hotel with a lovely ambiance, and hopefully will return in the Autumn for another few days of fine wine & food.

Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

Well, back to Harvey's Point for another bout of luxurious relaxation. As always, exemplary service and stunning surroundings, complemented by magnificent dining. Nothing is too much trouble, and the service is attentive but discreet. As for the food, well it's simply wonderful, and the breakfasts are to die for....

Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

This has been our second trip to Harveys. On arrival you are greeted by a smiling face and a welcoming atmosphere, we stayed in a premiere room which was large and well fitted out, an excellent bathroom. Service to the room was super. The hotel itself is well laid out and great for anyone with a disability. Food is very good, decor is a little OTT but that is a very personal view and we would still go back tomorrow, the only thing I would think would add to the great experience would be to have an I Pod dock in the rooms.
All the staff are fantastic. and the location is out of this world if you want to hear silence. I wish I had shares in it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Harvey's Point? Share your experiences!