“Wow.Definitely one of the best hotels”
Review of Harvey's Point

Harvey's Point
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed June 11, 2009

We have just returned after 3 wonderful days in Harveys Point. Bedrooms are absolutely huge with colossal bathroom. We could just say WOW when we were shown to our room.Water was fine not brown at all. Drinking water was supplied every day.There were lovely touches like chocolates,home made biscuits to have with tea/coffee in room. Every request was immedietly looked after with a smile. Every member of staff was efficient and friendly without exception. Breakfast really good but dinner in the dining room should have a michelin star, pure perfection. Only fault we have is that Dining Room is closed on Sunday and Monday. Dont think it should close on 2 concecutive nights because if you are only staying 2 nights Sun/Mon you miss out on a most wonderful "Dining experience". We ate in the new Steakhouse other 2 nights.It is Okay but nothing special.Same menu every night,same veg etc. Fabulous views of lake. You would need a car.It is 6K to nearest town -Donegal. Thank you all in Harveys.We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,330)

Reviewed June 5, 2009

my wife and I spent 2 nights in heaven. the hotel should be a 5star. the rooms were incredible and from the time we drove until we left the service was warm and friendly and first class. the view of the lake from the dining room was wonderful. our meals were world class and the dining staff were friendly, attentive and helpful. my only problem is the hotel isn't closer to home. we'd be back in a flash.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Don't know where to start. Have never written a review before and believe me I've been tempted. This is the first time I've actually taken the time to do it. The attitude in this hotel is so completely out of place in Donegal in 2009. I mean those days are long gone when only a certain 'class' of people went into hotels like priests and bankers. Having travelled the world this is the only hotel where I was told where I had to eat after a certain time. Those days are long gone..Who are they trying to impress.
They call the food gourmet cuisine.Don't think so!! From prawns swimming in butter steak that when you see it coming you just know it's going to be a hungry night. In between they produce a demitasse of the chefs complimentary 'soup'. Might as well tip the salt cellar down you.And be prepared for the aftermath....
Don't know what all others are raving about must be easily pleased or easily intimidated. Yes I actually now realise I feel really angry when I think of this hotel where it sets out to dictate who is welcome in a very subtle way.And definitely no children ... Not that they say as much but I suppose it's just the energy of the place .. pretty dark.
As for service with a smile .... well when complaint was made about meal response was no one else has complained...where do you go with that???
It's a pretentious over priced mausoleum of a place.Starting at the gates.Large semi cold rooms more like some executive office with a bed thrown in.Then there's the brown water story that they say is from the bog!!!! How about the brown water jacuzzi experience? They don't have that in their sales pitch.Try getting away with that one in Switzerland.Don't think so!!!!
I know I worked in a top Swiss hotel as a student.They would be closed down.Ever heard of water filters/purifiers. So remember no ice in your drinks!!! They really are taking the ...
This is not based on one visit alone but four so finally enough's enough. I would not recommend it to anyone as there are many many hotels good and bad in Donegal where you can go and feel welcome.And at least if you have a complaint about something there is the possibility of improvement. But how do you change such a stomach churning ethos.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank Kattey
MGDonegal, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2009

Dear Kattey,

I am writing to acknowledge your comments made on tripadvisor in relation to your past experiences at Harvey’s Point. Primarily, on behalf of the Gysling Family and the Harvey’s Point Team, may I extend our most sincere apologies to you. Over our twenty years of building and managing Harvey’s Point, we have always regarded guest feedback of the highest importance and it is our practice to acknowledge and act upon any issues that are brought to our attention.

I can personally assure you that it is our genuine desire to offer an excellent guest experience and it is not our attitude to be pretentious or over the top.

In relation to the food, I can only accept your comments and will certainly follow-up with our Head Chef.

Our children’s policy is that while we don’t pretend to be a family hotel and our main market is for couples, all guests are welcome.

Certainly, I apologize if our service recovery failed when you notified a member of our team. I agree that this is not acceptable and should have been resolved immediately. I will address this with our management team.

Your description of the gates and the bedrooms is subjective and in terms of the water, it is indeed water from the bog which is filtered and re-filtered. Our notices in the rooms confirm that while it is discoloured, it is 100% safe. Water/ice consumed from our bars is from a different source and there are no issues with it.

I hope you will accept this as a sincere attempt to respond to your comments in a fair and honest way. I am available at anytime to discuss the above in an attempt to restore your faith in Harvey’s Point.

Reviewed June 4, 2009

We have just returned from Harveys Point after thoroughly enjoying a 4 night stay in what should be a 5 star hotel! From the moment we arrived at the hotel we felt extremely welcomed by every member of staff. The reception area has the shiniest floor I have ever seen!! We arrived on the 27th May and the weather was overcast but this could not detract from the stunning lochsdide location of the hotel.The reception staff were extremely friendly and once we had checked in we were taken to our room and given a quick run-through of the room. We received a courtesy call shortly afterwards to ensure we were happy with the room. We had booked a deluxe room and it was exactly that. We normally holiday in Dubai and last year stayed in a 6 star hotel-the room at Harveys Point was equivalent of a 6 star hotel in Dubai-if not better. As it was late in afternoon we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant that eveving and made our way to dinner. The staff immediately took our order for drinks and provided some home-made bread with dips whilst we choose from the extensive menu. Dinner was a 5 course meal and it was superb. Local scallops were amazing and the belly of pork was one of the best things I have ever tasted. Even my daughter who is a fussy teenager enjoyed her meal and became a chocolate mousse addict after sampling the chocolate orange dessert. Upon retiring to our room that night a jacuzzi bath by candlelight whilst listening to the classical music piped through the bathroom was the perfect way to unwind-heaven! The following morning we were greeted by every staff member we encountered en route to the dining room for breakfast. The restaurant manager (Damien) showed us to our table and was very friendly and so good at ensuring the restaurant ran smoothly. The food was excellent, a wide range of cereal, pastries, juices,and so much more-again, so similar to the standards we usually enjoy in Dubai. The next few days were spent enjoying picturesque Ireland in the blazing sunshine and upon returning to the hotel every evening were greeted with friendly faces. The concierge (Gerry) was always on hand to offer advice on where to go and a fantastic game of pitch and putt was played thanks to him-unlike no other you're ever likely to play! A relaxing hour or two was spent in the cosy bar overlooking the loch most nights or in the bar area in front of the open fire-perfect end to the day. We returned later in the evening on our last night and the restaurant manager asked if we hasd eaten, we had earlier in the day but feeling a bit peckish he provided us with a menu and we enjoyed a perfect club sandwich....or two! On the morning that we left I was sad to leave as it was such a fantastic break. I would thoroughly recommend this to any age group, its the ideal base to explore the gorgeous country that is Ireland. I cannot recomend Harveys Point enough and I'm already looking for an excuse to go back.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Excellent room, food, service, views.........
Harveys Point is a real Irish gem, I'll def be returning again and again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I went to Donegal for the long weekend of 1-2 May 09 with two girlfriends. The rooms were huge, with fabulous big spa baths. I really liked the touch of the tealight candle and matches by the side of the spa bath for creating a bit of candlelight! The water in that part of the world is slightly discoloured as it comes from the peat bogs but don't let that put you off as it is gorgeous soft water compared to what i have become used to in Belgium the last few years where the water is hard and full of calcium and my hair was lovely and shiny after bathing in this peat bog water for a couple of days. We had one dinner included in our room price which €199 per night. The dinner was fabulous and the service was spot on. In all a fabulous though somewhat extravagant weekend.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank BrusselsKat_m
Reviewed May 6, 2009

In March my mum and I stayed at Harveys Point to celebrate a birthday.
From the very moment we arrived our stay was perfect. Our room was really beautiful so spacious and clean. With everything you could possibly need.
The staff are all fantastic especially Anne Marie In reservations.Nothing is too much trouble , if you need something you only have to lift the phone and it is delivered to your room.
The food is best I've ever had in a hotel and the service second to none. Breakfast is just unbelievable , even pancakes cooked to order everything is so delicious.
If you want a 5 star break this is the place to come. I've already booked my next stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
13 mi away
Villa Rose Hotel
Villa Rose Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballybofey

Been to Harvey's Point? Share your experiences!