“Such a special place it would be hard to beat this hotel”
Review of Harvey's Point

Harvey's Point
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was in Harvey's point recently on their watercolour course. The standard of the hotel and it's furnishing is exceptional. My bedroom was amazingly spacious. The food is excellent. The staff and manager,noel, go out of their way to make guests feel welcome and for their stay to be special. I really enjoyed the Cabaret which was very professional. During my stay I thought why would I ever go anywhere else, it would be difficult to beat this hotel.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are great
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
MGDonegal, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear Dorothy,

We enjoyed meeting our Watercolour Artists for the Autumn Painting Break at Harvey's Point. It is very encouraging and rewarding to receive such positive feedback. Thank you on behalf of the Gysling Family & Team.

We are thrilled that you were impressed by the accommodation, the food, the Cabaret and most of all, the welcome, courtesy and care extended by Noel and his dedicated Team.

We appreciate your kind compliments and high praise and we look forward to welcoming you back again for the Spring Painting Break and of course anytime between now and then.

Best wishes,

Deirdre, Marc & Team.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,320)

Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Loved our stay here, staff very pleasant, enormous and very comfortable rooms, food was good. We ate in the hotel bar three evenings, can recommend the Harvey's club sandwich, if you're in need of a serious man-wich! Didnt try the more formal dining as we were there to totally relax and didnt feel like dressing up. But the menu looked great there too. Breakfast was lovely, it's hard to get buffet scrambled eggs right, but they do.
The standard room is called the executive suite, and for the same price there are now lake view lodges, which we will definitely try the next time. It is close to Donegal town, a nice place to visit, and further out the coast is slieve league l cliffs, which we saw on a glorious sunny afternoon, higher than the cliffs of moher. Well worth a trip.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you have discovered 'Destination Donegal' and thank you for choosing to stay at Harvey's Point during your visit to the North West.

It was our pleasure to welcome you and we appreciate your kind comments about our hotel.We look forward to having you as our guest again sometime in the not too distant future.

Accommodation excellent.
Room was almost too big.
A pity that the thoughtful Lindt chocolate treats were not repeated for the second night of our stay.
Housekeeping also neglected to replace used toiliteries and also failed to supply updated newsletter for second day.

Food Very Good.
Sea bass "Bar food" on Monday 7 was excellent.
Main course on formal dining night was warm instead of hot.

Service helpful,friendly,erratic and disappointing.
The week before our arrival I had phoned to book dinner for 4 on Tuesday night.
The helpful receptionist indicated table reserved for 7.45.
During the course of this call I inquired about "Clarins" treatment rooms but was advised that lady involved was out of action.
I would have thought that back up should have been available.

On check in we asked for a second key card.
It appears there was a computer malfunction and after a number of reminders the 2nd key was delivered to us.
The porter who showed us to our room was delightful.
There were 2 staff in the bar at tea time.
After 10 minutes I asked to order drinks. There were only 3 /4 customers at a window table but the waiting staff were pre occupied. Draft Guinness was out of service and our drinks were ultimately served after 15 minutes approx.
On the morning of October 8 the waitress inquired if we were dining that night.
She had no record of our reservation.
We were shown to a lovely window table and our tea/coffee order was taken and delivered with toast.
We were never checked on after taking our seat.
I had to refill the milk jug which was left from the previous diners at the cereal station.
The petit butter dishes were quaint but inadequate.
My wife went to buffet but there was no chef.
She asked a waitress for chef as she wanted to have pancakes.
The waitress prepared the pancakes herself and informed my wife that my scrambled eggs & smoked salmon would have to be ordered from the kitchen.
I had to alert another waitress since it was unclear if my order was being attended to.
The order arrived without toast and after yet another request fresh toast arrived as I finished my delicious breakfast.
I spoke to a girl at reception later on Wednesday to make sure our dinner reservation was on the system and to request a table at the window if possible.
This lady suggested that the hotel would serve a small cake to mark the occasion.
The table we got for dinner was badly located under air conditioning vent and too big.
The alternate table was not ideal being adjacent to kitchen/service door.
No cake was served but in fairness the helpful friendly waitress supplied us with additional complimentary chocolates.
The experience for breakfast on the second morning was similar with no inquiry as to our requirements once seated.

My wife celebrated a landmark birthday and based on the compelling reviews I booked 2 nights at Harveys Point with informal dinner for us both on October 7 and formal dinner for 4 on October 8.
My sisters in law joined us on the latter night to surprise the birthday girl.
The overall event was memorable but tarnished by the culmination of the minor defects outlined above.
I spent circa €1,000 over the 2 days and feel justified in recording my genuine impressions.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brendan J
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Brendan,

It is with regret that I learn of your disappointment with your recent visit to Harvey's Point. Hand on heart, I can say how sorry we all are that we fell so short of our usual high levels of hotel keeping on this occasion. We are particularly sorry that we did not make your wife's birthday more special.

Your review is extremely important to us as it highlights the need for consistency in standards at all times. I fully agree with you that it is the culmination of minor defects that can impact negatively on a guests' experience. Rest assured that no stone will go unturned in our investigation into this matter. Noel, our General Manager and our Heads of Department are already working on this. Your constructive criticism is most appreciated and will be used positively to address the issues that you referred to. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

In the meantime, may I extend our heartfelt apologies to you and your wife and I would be grateful if you would contact Noel or myself in the hope that we could restore your faith in Harvey's Point.

Yours sincerely,

Deirdre

The Excitement and Promise of a Little Piece of Heaven

My Husband and I after a very difficult, emotional 18 months have made a reservation with Harvey’s Point Hotel for a 3 night stay in November this year.
We have been searching for the perfect place to go, this has taken a lot of time, searching and reading to find the perfect place, and we both believe we have found our promise of a little piece of heaven in Harvey’s Point.

Many Trip Advisor reviews are written after the wonderful experience customers have at various hotels, resorts etc. However for us our journey began on the 16th October 2013. When we found the perfect place to stay, which will give us precious time spent alone together, relaxation and much needed recuperation
Firstly I wish to thank the Gysling family for creating what I believe to be an amazing hotel. The awards won by the hotel are truly deserved and the Trip Advisor reviews are excellent. I have never read so many excellent reviews for a hotel in my life I have stayed in many a beautiful hotels and resorts that did not have the same quality of reviews which Harvey’s Point has, it has been a pleasure reading them. This also only makes me more excited to stay with you in November.

Secondly I would like to mention in person the two ladies on reception who dealt with me tonight. First around 8pm I spoke with Heide, who was lovely, sincere and very helpful with my enquiry and also Michelle who actually made the booking for me. I found her to be exceptionally gracious, kind, professional and extremely courteous. She assisted me with my booking even though it was later in the evening and I am sure she was busy with other aspects of her job. I found the entire experience with her to be comforting and a delightful. After the conversation I felt as though I had made a friend. In my humble opinion that is excellent customer service and goes above and beyond anything I have experienced in any other hotels (not that I have had many bad experiences in other hotels).

I am happy and excited to be arriving with you on the 20th November 2013 and my experience prior to arrival has been impeccable. For this reason I wanted to put up this early Trip Advisor Review. Which I will also follow up with after my visit and I have no doubt that it will be an amazing review.

Many thanks to the Gysling Family and the staff at the hotel, I am so happy my Husband found this hidden gem in the heart of Donegal.
We look forward to meeting you all soon.

Kindest Regards
Mr & Mrs K Paton
Karen.paton@hotmail.com

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Karen,

What can I say! Your 'pre-review' made me smile and even shed a wee tear! Thank you most sincerely for your wonderful words. They mean so much to us all.

To create Harvey's Point has indeed been a labour of love over the past twenty four years. Our simple philosophy is to make our guests happy.

For sure, first impressions last and we are delighted that your 'journey' to experience Harvey's Point has started out so well. Heide and Michelle are thrilled to receive such praise.

The Gysling Family and our entire Team look forward to making your visit to our hotel truly special and memorable. I personally look forward to extending a warm Donegal welcome to you both.

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Deirdre

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Was very tired and under strain when I arrived. I was shown to a suite which was just wonderful very large and luxurious. The atmosphere was very peaceful. The food was just out of this world and everyone seemed to care that I was having a good time. I had come as part of painting break and the group was thoughtfully gathered together for mealtimes also which provided great coMpany and laughter. The scenery provided moments of peace and reflection and it wasn't long before I relaxed completely. I can thoroughly recommend Harvey's Point the personal touches really made the difference. Great walks too and just a great place to recharge the batteries.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind words following your recent visit to Harvey's Point. We enjoyed having the watercolour artists group stay with us and it's great to hear such positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you all back in April.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were out for a drive on Monday and decided to go to Harvey's Point for lunch. We have been there before in the evening and enjoyed it. The lunch was excellent with a very good choice of menu. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Coming into the winter some of the nice places to have lunch have closed except perhaps at weekends so it is good to know that there are still places to go.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Amy,

Thank you for calling in for lunch at Harvey's Point this week. We are happy that you enjoyed your meal. We agree that it is good to have dining facility for our guests who like a light bite during the day.

We appreciate your valued custom and your kind compliments. Hoping to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Just back from a 2 night stay at Harvey's Point with my wife, celebrating our anniversary. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were made to feel most welcome by all the staff. That welcome was also extended to a Labrador we had with us. We were shown to a lake side room, a single story block all with outside doors, accessed from a covered walkway. We found this option most convenient, to access the hotel grounds to exercise the dog. The room and accommodation was excellently finished and spacious, with bedroom and lounge linked by a galley type kitchen. The bathroom was fitted with bath and separate enclosure shower. Off the lounge was a decking area, allowing superb views over the gardens and lake.

We dined in, on both evenings, one night having the 4 course fine dining menu and on the second in the bar restaurant. The menus are varied and the food is of exquisite standards and taste.

We would not hesitate to recommend the hotel and I am sure we will be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your Wedding Anniversary and thank you for choosing Harvey's Point to mark the occasion.

We were delighted to have you and your wife and your lovely Labrador staying with us and it's great to learn that you had an enjoyable experience in terms of the quality and suitability of our new Lakeshore Suites, our food offerings and of course the courtesy and care extended by our dedicated Team.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
13 mi away
Villa Rose Hotel
Villa Rose Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballybofey

Been to Harvey's Point? Share your experiences!