“Fabulous family hotel”
Review of Harvey's Point

Harvey's Point
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed in Harveys point hotel for Christmas for 4 days. We had an absolute ball, really enjoyed our time there. The owners Deirdre and Marc made everyone part of their family for the whole stay! We thougt this personal service was fantastic! We can't wait to go back. Really recommend it. I am coeliac and the choice of gluten free food was excellent and the knowledge of staff about it was excellent. The cleanliness of the hotel was excellent. Staff very friendly and helpful!
Thanks Deirdre O'Reilly

• Stayed: December 2012
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Deirdre, Thank you so much for taking the time to write of your experience at Harvey's Point at Christmas. Marc & I enjoyed meeting you and your husband and it was great to see all our guests relaxing and taking part in the celebrations. Thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to welcome you back again sometime in the future. Kind regards, Deirdre, Marc & Team.

There are newer reviews for Harvey's Point

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Myself and my friend have just arrived home from a fabulous weekend at Harvey's Point hotel. What a wonderful experience. Our first pleasant surprise was our executive room - it was wonderful. Huge room, twin beds were like doubles, bathroom amazing, and kitchen with very well stocked mini bar was a definite bonus. This hotel is all about friendliness and all those hidden little things that make a massive difference, e.g. candles and matches in bathroom, fruit and cookies in kitchen, water and fruit in residents lounge, and I could go on and on. We had our dog with us and boy was she treated like a special guest! We were given a room right next to a door out to the lawn - nice touch. She got her own set of instructions to ensure her stay was comfortable. It's wonderful to see a hotel of this calibre that is happy to welcome a much loved pet. We also believe she is going to receive a Certificate of Good Behaviour in the post. Every member of staff we met were extremely friendly - even if just passing them in the corridor! Our biggest laugh of the weekend was me trying to take a photo of the 'boss' at Harvey's Point - THE GOOSE! He was wonderful, but decided to chase me down to the pier - what fun and what a memory - can't wait to go back and meet him again. A rare find in this modern world - charming and beautiful. Well done staff of Harvey's Point and keep up the good work. Look forward to meeting you all again in the future.

Room Tip: Room 101 was perfect for those with a dog. Easy access to outdoors.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Mavis, On behalf of the'boss' Harvey our goose :-), and the entire team at Harvey's Point, I would like to thank you for your delightful review. It is touching to know that our guests appreciate the extra effort and attention to detail to ensure a memorable visit. We will continue in our efforts to exceed expectations at every level and it will be our pleasure to welcome you and your canine friend back again soon. Kind regards, Deirdre, Marc & Team.

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at Harvey's Point, and our second time in the Lakeshore Suites.
I have hesitated to post this review for a few weeks, for purely selfish reasons: I don't really want others to find out just how great the place is!
The Lakeshore Suites are ideal. Ours was facing out into the wilderness across Loch Eske; our door facing the woods, the veranda confronting the lapping waters- it was very plausible to believe we were in a private retreat.
The rooms have been refurbished and up sized into very comfortable suites, with large sitting rooms and cosy bedrooms. The bathrooms have free standing baths and large generous showers. I personally love the bog water for bathing in, I believe it is superb for the skin. Some taller/ larger people may find the bath somewhat on the small size- though.
My daughter is a bit of a critic herself and asked to see "the good rooms, up the ramp". We were obliged and Joy judged that our rooms were just as lovely but nicer because they were so private. She would have swopped bathrooms though!
We met several amazed guests, who had no idea that dogs were welcome- but please don't tell anyone. Alli and Sam absolutely adore the place, and want to keep it all to themselves!
The staff, especially Mr Cunningham were extremely professional and welcoming. Mr Cunning has a wonderful sense of style and yet I never felt at all judged for my lack of style or couture, dressed in my best Penny's and Dunnes!
Bar food was gorgeous, fine dining was just that and more, and breakfast was the best we've had in any similar rated hotel.
I was traveling with my daughter and although it is not geared towards family holidays- thank God, we both loved our stay.
The journey did concern me- travelling from Carlow to Donegal for two nights did seem excessive on energy and value. However, we returned completely revived and restored.
Harvey's Point- absolutely worth it!

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Gemma, Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay in our new Lakeshore Suites. We are genuinely delighted that you enjoyed the experience. I would have liked to meet yourself and Joy in person but I was away on business. I know that Noel and our team were pleased to look after you. Great also to hear that Alli and Sam enjoyed their wee break too, especially after the long journey. I hope we will see you all again sometime in the future. Kindest personal regards, Deirdre.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was our third visit and once again it was truly excellent. relaxing and sumptuous, everything you want to rewind and relax. We were upgraded to a premium suite with their compliments, and the room was even bigger than we imagined. The staff, food , especially breakfast, was excellent, we were made to feel totally relaxed and at home. Cant wait to return!!

Room Tip: deluxe is great , the jacuzzi is such a treat.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ruth, it was our pleasure to welcome you back again to Harvey's Point and thank you for your continued loyalty and kind words. We are delighted that you felt so at home and had a relaxing stay. Special greetings from the Gysling Family & Team.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

A real retreat. This is not our first visit to Harvey's Point and it never fails to impress. The situation is superb and the staff are so welcoming and helpful. The bedrooms are huge and so so comfortable. Dinner is always very special. Well cooked and well presented, served by exceptionally friendly staff. Breakfast sets you up for the day.
Always sorry to leave and are already planning the next visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Dear Guest, A warm welcome back to your Harvey's Point, your home from home in Donegal. We appreciate your lovely words and continued loyalty. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon. Kind regards, Deirdre, Marc & Team.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Driving to Harvey's piont is an experience in its self, Harvey's is set in the middle of lough eske which is a photographers paradise!!

Upon arrival we were shown to our rooms by the receptionist, she was very pleasant and gave us a tour of our massive rooms which were very grand with a modern touch!! We had an executive room which had everything you could want for a short stay, with added touches of cookies and lindor chocolates yum yum!!

Our rooms looked over the lake with amazing views of the blue stack mountains and surrounding area!!

As for the food what can I say, amazing!! We dinned here for the 2 short nights we were in Donegal and I can say whoever complains about the quality of food at Harvey's has not experienced quality at its best before!! The highlight was the chocolate brownie!!

We hope to make a return to this hotel in the near future Susan & Glen

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank SusanHolohan

Dear Susan & Glen, Thank you for your kind comments in relation to your recent visit to Harvey's Point. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and had a lovely dining experience. This positive feedback is very encouraging and much appreciated. Kind regards, Deirdre, Marc & Team.

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend in march. Very mixed experience. The positives were the huge comfortable room, the kind attentive staff and dinner was superb. The negatives though did add up. The room cleaning was off. Dirty towels left in sitting area( we left them in the bathroom), dirty wine glasses left and not replaced. Sweet Wrappers left on desk. Food in lounge was poor. Had the chowder. Generous portion but extremely salty. Breakfast both mornings very poor. First morning we came down at 10.35 (served to 11am). Only hot option available was full irish. No omelette, pancakes, gammon, kippers etc. The full Irish is buffet style. Food was dry and Luke warm. Had been sitting there a while. Danish over cooked and very little left on cold buffet. No staff around in Restaurant to say this to. Mentioned to reception who apologised as did restaurant manager. (Cannot fault these staff). But there was an excuse made re a funeral and preparing for this. understandable but all paying guests deserve better. Expected better breakfast second morning and looked promising. Service much better but food again was off par. Got the omelette. It was raw. Ended up putting me off eating anything else. Very disappointed ESP after the lovely dinner night before (but dinner is very expensive so I would expect it to be very good @ €140 with a bottle of wine). Food here is very mixed. Better consistency needed. ESP for the price you pay. Not sure I'd return. If I did I would think twice about eating in the hotel. It disappoints me to write a mixed review as I try to be very fair on all reviews I write. This is the fairest I can be given that we voiced the concerns and still mixed consistency on the food. Bit of a shame. It was our 7th anniversary and felt like an expensive mistake.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest, I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with your recent visit to Harvey's Point. Please be assured that we take your constructive criticism very seriously indeed and each and every issue will be addressed with each department via corrective action and further training. I understand that Noel, our General Manager has been in contact with your husband in a genuine effort to restore your faith in Harvey's Point. On behalf of the Gysling Family and our entire team, may I personally express our most sincere apologies for failing to maintain our usual high standards. It is even more regrettable as you were celebrating a special occasion and had travelled some distance to stay at Harvey's Point. Thank you for your kind comments in relation to our staff, the bedroom and dinner on Saturday night. In particular, thank you for bringing these shortcomings to our attention as in this way, we can work hard to improve consistency in standards and service. Yours sincerely, Deirdre, Marc & Team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Harvey's Point? Share your experiences!