“anniversary weekend”
Review of Harvey's Point

Harvey's Point
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed February 24, 2013

we have just returned from a most relaxing weekend in Harvey's Point. Definitely one of the best hotels we have had the pleasure of staying in. Staff go the extra mile to make your stay a great experience. Thank you to all who were on duty 22nd-24th Feb.

Room Tip: one overlooking the Lake
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Guest, It was our pleasure to welcome you to Harvey's Point and it's great to hear that you have returned home relaxed and refreshed after your weekend visit. We appreciate your kind comments about our staff. We are so lucky to have a team who genuinely go the extra mile with a smile. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again sometime.
Kind regards, Deirdre, Marc & Team.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,320)

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We are just home from our third stay in Harvey's within the last twelve months so suffice to say this is a hotel that we highly recommend. It has everything from friendly staff, amazing suites (we have stayed in an executive, deluxe and premium), fabulous food and the opportunity to really relax and get away from it all. I only realised on this visit that the hotel has a pet friendly policy so I will hopefully get to bring my puppy next time too ! We had dinner in the restaurant for the first time on this visit and it was delicious - my husband was given a complimentary drink because it was his birthday which I thought was a lovely touch. We find it very difficult to stay at another hotel now and unfortunately tend to compare them to Harvey's (nowhere has matched it yet !).

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank ew150

Dear Guest, Sincere thanks for your super review of your recent experience at Harvey's Point. We certainly appreciate your continued loyalty and high recommendation. On behalf of the Gysling Family & Team, may I extend birthday congratulations to your husband and thank you both for choosing our hotel for the celebrations. Kindest personal regards, Deirdre, Marc & Team.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

had sunday lunch at harveys point today what a lovely hotel, There was 8 of us and we were seated at a bay window over looking lough eske an absolutely wonderful experience. Staff were really on the ball and couldent do enough for us. The starters were delicious anything and everything to eat just help yourself as much as you wanted. The mains choice was beef, turkey, pork, lamb or gammon and the vegetables were really nicely cooked and tasted superb. You have a choice then of pepper corn sauce, gravy, chasseur etc. The desserts again help yourself eat as much as you like and loads to choose from including the chocolate fountain with all kinds of goodies to dip in to it delicious!!! Also cones for the kids which seemed to be a great hit for the young and old. Overall the lunch at Harveys Point was gorgeous, staff really efficient, lovely atmostphere and view would have to recommend it

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest, We were delighted to welcome you and your family to Harvey's Point for our famous Sunday Carvery Lunch. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and we look forward to seeing you all again soon. Kind regards from the Gysling Family & Team.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The suites in this hotel are nothing short of fabulous. If you like the charm of olde world glamour then this hotel is definitely for you. It is suits tes along the shoreline of a lake and has made the very best if this fact. It's staff are efficient, friendly, and very importantly, courteous without being standoffish. Of course they have no need to be as this hotel speaks for and delivers itself.
The food is equally worth the experience, although maybe not quote up to the standard of the rates charged.
As far as I know, this hotel is made up only of suites and they are fabulous. I have stayed in many hotels and this one really lived up to what you pay for in the area of the rooms. Seriously, they really make you feel like you have stepws into another world.
Overall this hotel is wonderful but on the downside it is very expensive.

• Stayed: February 2013
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Guest, Many thanks for your kind words in relation to your recent visit to Harvey's Point. It was our pleasure to welcome you to our new Lakeshore Suites. We would hope to offer added value in terms of customer care and attention to detail but naturally we take on board your comments in relation to price. Just to let you know that we will soon be launching some great midweek offers for March and April. Hopefully we will see you again sometime. Kind regards, Deirdre, Marc & Team.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed in this absolutely beautiful hotel last night for one night only. Staff really friendly, atmosphere welcoming, Pint as good as any in Dublin, Breakfast forced me to break my so far successful Diet and scenery stunning. I will be back - hopefully

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear Dermot,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is truly great to hear that you enjoyed your short stay at Harvey's Point and hopefully it's 'back to porridge' now until your next visit. Just to let you know we have the most amazing walks all around the lake and mountains so our guests can counter balance any excess calories consumed :-)

Kind regards, Deirdre, Marc & Team.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at Harvey's Point recently. It was a lovely stay and it was really nice to see that the hotel is an dog friendly hotel. We had a lakeshore suite which had a balcony. It was a lovely suite as it had a sitting room, large flat screen tv, adjoined onto a kitchette, large table and chairs, Definately suitable for a family.There was a hall way, 2 bathrooms, one with a stand alone bath and a shower, Finally there was the large spacious bedroom again with a large tv and 2 sofas. Rooms were well heated and the heating could be turned up or down depending on your own requirements. It was so peaceful and there was no noise from people coming and going. The one thing I didnt like in the room was the doors into the toilets. It was two half doors which were mirrors too. When closed, there was a large gap between the two doors which meant that someone if they wanted could see into the bathroom. Also due to the water being bog water, the hotel said it was safe however it was great that the hotel supplied bottled water for the bathroom.

We had dinner in the main restaurant. I had chosen an option to be told by the waitress that it couldnt be served well done. As I prefer my meat to be well done I chose another option and was told the same so I opted for a fish dish. Whilst the food was delicious I was disappointed as a customer that the waitress made me feel bad for choosing an option that I wanted and whilst I understood where she was coming from in that the meat may be tough it was just as if she was telling me it was a no go to have a meat well done. Wine was overly priced as I have found some of the wine that was on the menu to be in aldi at €4 versus the hotels price of €28 for the same make year etc.Breakfast was lovely. I wonder though who gets the window seats looking out onto the lake as we were never offered a seat there despite upon our arrival seats being free there. The best seat we were given was by a lovely man not sure was he french or spanish. He was exemplary in his mannorisms and treatment of people. I did note the other man who is known to others for being on tv appeared to decide if you werent perfectly dressed that you did not have money and treated you like that which was disappointing. The chefs in the morning were brilliant and would cook omlettes/ pancakes to order or boil and egg for the amount of time that you would choose. They were talkative and so nice to everyone.

In terms of the Clarins beauty rooms- well I cant say too much. It appears it is just two rooms. There is no spa or relaxation room that I could find which was disappointing. Being in a relaxing location it would be good to have more well appointed beauty rooms. It was very limited and to be honest it wasnt great.

The walks around the hotel were great. Lots of peace and little traffic.We walked around lough Eske. Make sure to bring a warm coat and clothing suitable for all weathers just in case it rains!!

Check in staff were nice too and helpful. Ann in particular was excellent and so too was Raquel. There was little signage around the hotel so to find places if you didnt want to ask staff wasnt very clear. There was nothing to say where the beauty rooms were, the restaurant or bar was etc. Not sure why.The website needs to be updated too as the lakeshore suites are not the same as what is on the website. There is a lovely little shop with items that are from the area and the displays of the same are lovely. The walls in the hotel have some lovely pictures drawn by a member or the Gysling family.

Overall this was a lovely stay, certainly a few areas need improvement to make this hotel great. I certainly would go back and the critisims are things to be aware of and not major negatives.

3  Thank holiday066
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent experience at Harvey's Point and many thanks for highlighting both the positives and negatives in relation to your visit. Please be assured that we will be taking on board all of your comments.

However, I would like to point out that our wine list is carefully sourced and priced to ensure quality and value for money in a luxurious environment with professional and friendly service.

In relation to the allocation of tables by the window, our team do their best to accommodate everyone as fair and as far as possible.

At no stage do we promote our Beauty Rooms as a Spa as we do not yet have the facility of a relaxation room or pool. Naturally it is on our wish list for the future as we agree it would enhance our product and the guest experience.

Your comments on signage etc are fair and constructive. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back sometime.

Kind regards,
Deirdre

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Cannot compliment this hotel enough. Arrived for Valentines to be greeted by the one & only Mr Noel Cunningham, Noel gave us the warmest of welcomes and invited us to the reading room in the afternoon for a glass of champagne!
I got a fabulous deal from Deirdre, who is always a pleasure to deal with! From check in, I was very impressed, we arrived early however they swiftly got our room ready. The concierge was really friendly and chatty and showed us everything we needed to know about the mod cons in the room. The room was stunning to say the least! A lovely touch was the red rose, rose petals & chocolates on the pillow, very sweet.
Breakfast was enjoyed with a lovely view of the lake. The selection offered was very extensive with bailey's on tap for your porridge and the option to upgrade to a champagne breakfast!
Dinner was out of this world! Lovely ambience, food to die for and excellent service. On check out, Noel wished us farewell & told us about the many marriage proposals the previous night! This place is a little slice of heaven and I highly recommend a stay here if you ever are lucky enough to get an overnight babysitter!!!
Thanks to Deirdre, Noel & the excellent team, we will be back again soon, subject to a sitter!

Room Tip: we had room on the 3rd floor and we had a great view of the lake!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Guest, I am delighted to read your wonderful review. Sorry I missed you on this visit but my darling husband, Marc whisked me off to celebrate our 17th Wedding Anniversary on Valentines weekend! Great to see Romance alive and well in Donegal :-)
Many thanks for your truly kind words. On behalf of Noel and the entire Team, we look forward to welcoming you back again. Kindest personal regards, Deirdre.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
13 mi away
Villa Rose Hotel
Villa Rose Hotel
#1 of 2 in Ballybofey

Been to Harvey's Point? Share your experiences!