“Great Stay”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Ireland
“Great Stay”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Harvey's Point is a place to go and relax away from the hustle of work life. The staff are very friendly and the turf buring fire gives the hotel a real homely feeling. I got married there last year and I can't recommend this Hotel highly enough, all the stops were pulled out. The rooms are so comfortable you won't want to leave and the breakfast is a treat. Baileys in your porridge for breakfast is the norm, or a thick cut of gammon with your omelette. For that special getaway, make sure not to over look this Hotel.
Henry.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main hotel are much nicer than the cortyard rooms and are worth paying the extra fo...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Jollygirl66, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Dear Guest, It was our pleasure to welcome you back to Harvey’s Point and many thanks for your lovely review and high recommendation which is very much appreciated by the Gysling Family and our Team. Thank you for choosing Harvey’s Point for your Wedding last year and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back in the future. Kind regards, Deirdre & Marc.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,256)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. The hotels location was not as difficult to find as I had first feared. Its sign posted well enough but you do have to keep a good look out. Check in was quick & easy & the staff were very friendly which was the theme throughout our stay. The interior of the hotel was beautiful. I could write a whole review on the room but put simply it was fantastic-bright, modern, spacious!!!, comfortable & everything worked.

The entrance to the breakfast & dining room is through the bar & the lovely turf fire. Breakfast was a buffet. For the size & standard of the hotel the layout of the buffet area was too small & a bit cramped. The set up looked ad hoc so maybe this is just temporary as the room itself is spacious enough with great views of the gardens & the lake. The food was delicious especially the scrambled eggs & the pancakes. When you’re finished you can burn it off with a stroll in the hotels private gardens facing the lake. There was a large duck there throughout our stay who sat outside a door content to watch the world go by which is what it’s all about when you stay here.

Later that night we returned for dinner. The room seemed full & the staff were kept busy.
Eventually someone came to take our order. The delay set the tone for the evening as the service although friendly & courteous was extremely slow throughout the night. I looked around & it seemed we were not the only ones. Again the set up was a bit chaotic. Trays were brought out & placed on a table, the staff would then gather round, consult their pads & have a discussion on which order went where, on a couple of occasions even the sommelier got involved.
Couldn’t fault the food although €12 for a starter consisting of a small piece of black pudding with a tiny scoop of onion ice cream was a bit expensive.
On our last night the service seemed to be a bit quicker but we still had to wait a while between courses. Could not fault the staff on any of this & it did not take from the enjoyment of our stay.

Last day & sadly had to return home. Check out was also quick & easy & once again the staff were very pleasant to deal with. Overall we loved our stay & would return for that special occasion.

Jollygirl66, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your comments in relation to your recent visit to Harvey’s Point. We appreciate your constructive feedback and please be assured that we will address the issues you highlighted. We look forward to welcoming you back for a special occasion sometime in the future. Kind regards, Deirdre, Marc & Team.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed here recently for a friend's wedding. The room was fabulous - oodles of space. The food was delicious, possibly the best food I've had at a wedding. Best of all though was the staff - they really were all charming and helpful. They actually looked like they enjoyed working there - a rare enough occurance nowadays. We'll definitely return again for a longer break.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Deirdre M, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Guest, Apologies for the delay in response to your kind review. Thank you for sharing your comments and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Harvey's Point for a relaxing leisure break sometime. Kind regards, Deirdre, Marc & Team.
northern ireland
Reviewed March 26, 2012

our second stay at harveys point and once again a fabulous weekend. service is excellent and the rooms are fabulous, the whole experience from food to scenerie is breath taking. can't wait to return!!!!

Room Tip: deluxe rooms are fantastic
Jollygirl66, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear Ruth, It was lovely to welcome you back to Harvey’s Point and thank you for your kind words which are most appreciated by the Gysling Family and Team. Looking forward to seeing you soon again. Kind regards, Deirdre & Marc
Waltham Abbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We have just arrived home 25/3/12 after celebrating our friends 50th birthday. This is our second time to harveys point after spending a fantastic weekend, from the arrival to the greeting from Sean the cheeky ,but lovely porter to the ladies who welcomed us on the reception we felt like we had never been away.the service in the restaurant was first class and it was nice to see Lucy and Nancy the waitresses who always had time for a quick chat and helped with your every need, the food by these group of fine chefs is truly delicious and the quality of the meat and fish are succulent and the detail to presentation is to be fully appreciated by your visit.the rooms are presented for your every need there s nothing that has been left out and every detail from slippers and robes to sewing kits shoe shine hair products to double jacuzzi with back ground music to listen to.this is truly a gem of a hotel you will not be disappointed if you find it a bit expensive just try a overnight stay and ask for an upgrade send an email and ask for special offers.the nice touch one morning when we came down for breakfast was the owner greeting us at our table and having time to speak to you.I know some people will say yes ,but this keeps you coming back and yes!this s probably true ,but it s a nice touch with a lady who has put the time and effort in to make it the hotel this is today along with her husband.......alli can say is thank you and see you next year!

Mr and mrs John Davis room 310

Room Tip: Try the deluxe room and ask for upgrades where available all rooms are lovely but we like the 3rd fl...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Jollygirl66, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear Mr & Mrs Davis, We are genuinely touched to read your super review in relation to your recent experience at Harvey’s Point. It was our pleasure to welcome you all and thank you for choosing Harvey’s Point to celebrate such a special occasion. Your high praise encourages us to’ keep up the good work’ and we are particularly fortunate to have such a great team. Sean, Nancy, Lucy and all our staff are fine examples of Irish hospitality at its best. On behalf of us all, may I extend our sincere thanks to you for your continued loyalty to Harvey’s Point and we look forward to seeing you again next year. Kind regards, Deirdre
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I don't think there are enough good adjectives to describe Harvey's Point. I saw it's glowing reviews on Trip Advisor but unfortunately couldn't afford the rates on their website. I checked and checked for weeks until finally, they ran a promotion I could make fit my wallet. Changing my reservations to them that day was the best decision I made for my trip.
The property is situated on the gorgeous Lough Eske which you can view from all over the hotel including the amazing view from the resturant. Speaking of the restaurant. DELICIOUS! We crazy Americans took picture of our food there because it was so wonderful. Keep in mind, though, the price does go with the quality of the food, but it's worth it! The staff at the restaurant was amazing as well!
Aside from the food, there were two other things that made our stay...that FANTASTIC room!! We didn't book anything too fancy and yet....it was! We felt like royalty!!
The second thing that made our stay has to be SEAN!! He was the best porter we had during our 9 day stay in Ireland and probably one of the nicest people we met as well.I can't say enough nice things about him!!

Room Tip: Since I know my room was lower on the totem pole, I can;t even imagine what the others look like. Th...
Jollygirl66, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Hi Margo, I am delighted that you enjoyed your trip to Ireland and it is great that you managed to fit Harvey’s Point into your itinerary. Thank you so much for your kind comments. Please be assured that I will share them with our team and present Sean a personal copy for his attention. I fully agree that he is one of the most genuine and caring people in this world and in a way, he is our ‘Harvey’s Point Hero’!
Wishing you all the best and hoping we can welcome you back again someday. Kind regards, Deirdre
Belfast, Ireland
Reviewed March 23, 2012

After my third visit to Harvey’s Point, to celebrate our 5th Wedding Anniversary I have to write my second review as I have so much more to say.

I will start off confirming what we already knew. The room and bathroom was spacious and luxurious. The bed, gargantuan. The location on beautiful lough Eske is second to none. The food is divine and the staff, first class.

So let me tell you why I am writing a second review. The service we received on our most recent visit to Harvey’s Point is beyond anything I have ever experienced. My Wife was recently diagnosed as Coeliac and needs to follow a Gluten Free diet and the majority of dining experiences in the last few months have fallen short of our expectations so we decided to e-mail ahead to Harvey’s Point to make the Chef aware that we would need a Gluten free option for my wife.

What we did not expect, although in hindsight maybe we should have given past experiences at Harvey’s, was the level of service we did receive.

When we checked into our room there were a couple of biscuits as we have come to expect, but there was also a plate of gluten free biscuits with a little note complete with smiley face.

Shortly after we arrived the Head Chef Paul Montgomery called the room to discuss the menu options with my wife and informed her of her options for that evening, he had picked up some lamb especially for her as she had indicated in advance that lamb was her favourite.

We were welcomed at the restaurant with a heartfelt “Happy Anniversary” from Joanne, and when we sat down at our table they had Gluten free bread for my wife and Nancy our server was fantastic and very knowledgeable about the food, something that’s often lacking in restaurants these days.

We both enjoyed a beautiful meal that night and my wife’s meal was of the standard we have come to expect. In particular, the individually prepared gluten free black forest gateau and cherry cheesecake were beautiful. (of course I had to have a taste too!)

This experience continued over the entire weekend, with gluten free sausages, hash browns and scones at breakfast on both days. Even the staff that we had not dealt with were aware of my wife’s needs, and nothing was too much trouble. Additionally, the chef’s willingness to provide coeliac friendly sauce and fries from the bar menu on our second night was entirely unexpected, particularly given we had previously indicated that we would be eating off site, but changed our minds at the last minute.

We had a wonderful time at Harvey’s third time around and we are already considering returning in July.

My wife and I would like to Thank Deirdre and the entire team at Harvey’s Point for another wonderful weekend – it’s just a pity the Rugby result was not so wonderful.

Des & Lea Dickson

Room Tip: Go with Executive, Deluxe or Premium suites they are all very spacious.
1 Thank dixie1982
Jollygirl66, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear Des & Lea, What a fabulous review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience of Harvey’s Point and I will be proud to present your kind comments to our management team and staff. We are so lucky to have a team of people who genuinely care for our guests and who are prepared (without prompting)| to go the extra mile with a smile. Congratulations on your 5th Wedding Anniversary and it would indeed be our pleasure to welcome you both back again in the Summer. Kind personal regards, Deirdre
Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Harvey's Point? Share your experiences!