Having initially discovered Harvey's point online, before it was further recommended by friends and family, I booked the hotel for a Valentine's surprise for my girlfriend. A week before we were due to arrive - I called the hotel to confirm dinner reservations and to double check the little details of our stay. I was told by the lady on the phone that not only were we confirmed, we had been upgraded from a premium suite to the Penthouse! An incredible surprise.
We drove in on the Friday afternoon and to say we were blown away from the outset is a massive understatement. The hotel is located on the lip of the beautiful Lough Eske and near to some rugged mountains. At check-in we were met by a lovely lady (Terese, I think) , who walked us right to our room whilst explaining the hotel lay out. Having stayed in a lot of supposedly high end hotels, once again I was looking out for the littlest details being out of place - as often old style plush hotels are dusty, or the carpets are freyed etc. This was emphatically not the case. The corridors are grand and expansive, simply by walking through them you get a sense of the hotel's fabulous atmosphere. From the level of cleanliness, the venue could have opened yesterday.
The room was enormous, comparable to a gigantic New York aparment. A huge living area, and our own seperate large bar were to the right and our bedroom, wardrobe area and bathroom were to the left. The bathroom was out of this world. The jacuzzi was like a double bed and I've never had a more comfortable sleep then I did in the bed itself ,which could have slept at least five people. The furnishings were classic, but in no way dilapidated. The place felt like home from the get go. We were floored. But it doesn't stop there.
After getting ready in the bathroom at his and hers sinks, listening to the classical music being piped in - we headed down for dinner. At the bar we were greeted by Noel, the hotels guest relations manager. What a gentleman. In fact, every single member of staff we encountered were pleasant and genuine. No conversation felt forced, as is often the case in big hotels. Real people.
The dinner was sumptuous both evenings - stunning food. Again the little details were totally important and Harveys Point never missed a trick. The waitress, maitre d' etc were all friendly and helpful to the nth degree. Similarly, when we were running late on our departure date, the restaurant called us to ask if we wanted breakfast as it was finishing up, then had it brought to our room. Another level.
Everyone needs to know about this hotel. Not only for its luxurious setting, exceptional customer service and friendly attitude - but also for its management of people. I am embarrassed to admit we were a bit on the noisy side in the room on our first night (singing), which I like to emphasise is totally unacceptable for the kind of relaxation Harvey's Point provides. The hotel handled our embarrassment with class and reassurance.
This is the only high end hotel I have stayed in where I can catagorically say that it was worth every penny, I urge everyone to give it a go. A super positive experience and a very special weekend for us both.
Thank you so much to Harvey's Point and all their world class staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- There is an air of Romance at Harvey's Point, set in the mystical, magical shadow of the Blue Stack Mountains on the shores of Lough Eske. Owned and managed by the Swiss Family Gysling since it opened in 1989, Harvey's Point has developed into the leading destination hotel of the Northwest, specialising in top class accommodation, exquisite cuisine and genuine Donegal welcome. Named TripAdvisor '№ 1 Hotel in Ireland' for the fifth year in a row, 10th best in Europe, AA two rosette restaurant and ‘Hotel of the Year 2017' by Georgina Campbell. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Hotwire so you can book your Harvey's Point reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harvey`s Point Hotel Donegal Town
- Harveys Point Hotel Donegal
- Harveys Point Donegal