“Great Location”
Review of Harvey's Point

Harvey's Point
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I spent two nights in Harvey's Point last week and it has to be the best location I have ever stayed in. The food was excellent but sometimes the staff seemed to be under pressure so service was slow from time to time. If hot tea at breakfast is one your priorites - this is the place for you. So many hotels provide lukewarm tea but not here! Piping hot and very good.
I was meeting up with an old friend who was staying in the Courtyard so I chose that location as well. This is where you need to prioritise before booking. The Courtyard en-suite bathrooms are very basic - 1980s style -overdue modernisation and at best could be described as somewhere between 2 and 3 star. These rooms are somewhat old-fashioned as well but could be described as "quaint". The mattresses are quite thin and not the most comfortable I have slept on. BUT - the location right beside the lake is fantastic - particularly if the weather is good.

The bedrooms in the main hotel are more luxurious and the bathrooms more modern - decide which you would prefer before booking

Room Tip: Prioritise - location of room versus luxury
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Jollygirl66, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Thank you for your review of Harvey’s Point and for your positive comments on our unique location by the lake, the food and details such as the temperature of the tea. We will certainly take your other comments on board in relation to pacing of dinner and of course the Courtyard, which we accept is of a different standard to the luxury, space and style of the Executive, Deluxe, Premium and Penthouse Suites. We have future plans to renovate the Courtyard while retaining its charm and character. In the meantime, for as little as €20 supplement per person, an upgrade to an Executive is recommended. We look forward to welcoming you back again sometime. Yours sincerely, Deirdre & Marc.

There are newer reviews for Harvey's Point

Reviewed April 30, 2011

We Stayed for 2 nights midweek. Only wish we could have stayed longer. Staff, food, ambiance; could not ask for better. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Jollygirl66, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2011

Dear John, Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit. Kind regards from Deirdre & Team.

Reviewed April 29, 2011

Having stayed in Lough Eske Castle last Easter we opted for Harveys Pont this time. We had walked around the hotel last year and liked the ambience. On check in or room was not ready but we were given our key card and told to wait two minutes. Our friends had already arrived and were in the library drinking champagne. My wife asked were they had ordered it from and was told it was complimentary on check in. I went back to reception to enquire and was told it would be sent through - would have been nice if it was offered at check in. Room was excellent but a minor issue was there were cobwebs in the curtain pelmet.
We opted to eat in the bar for our evening meal. I had the Thai chicken curry - tasty but very little coconut sauce so therefore dry. My wife had the minced beef steak which was very good. Breakfast was excellant with a nice selection from the buffet.
Views form the breakfast table across the lake and the grounds very pleasant.
The second evening again bar food. Attentive service and I opted for the minced beef steak with chunky chips and peas. When my food arrived I asked for the peas and was told they had none left - not a big issue but I would have thought this was a basic food.
Overall a very good hotel in beautiful surroundings but the lure of going to a hotel without leisure facilities is that you feel you will gain by good service, good food and quality of accommodation. I left wanting to say I would return but having stayed at Lough Eske for a similar price I think on the day I would return there.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the larger room
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share your comments in relation to your recent visit to Harvey’s Point. It is unfortunate that your experience did not live up to our usual high standards and I hope you will accept our most sincere apologies. I will follow up on your comments and I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in Harvey’s Point. I am available at anytime should you wish to discuss the matter further. Yours sincerely, Deirdre Mc Glone.

Reviewed April 28, 2011

The staff were very attentive. Greeted by Sean on arrival who was very friendly and professional. We were upgraded to a Deluxe room, which was massive and had a luxurious bathroom . There is great attention to detail. I loved the relaxed atmosphere while having a bath with the soft music and candle. There was plenty of choice at breakfast. I particularly enjoyed the porridge with cream. My husband thought the ham was delicious. Really enjoyed the gourmet dinner. The location is perfect with the lough, forests and serenity. Just twenty minutes away from Murvagh strand, a 3 mile stretch of unspoilt sandy beach . My husband and I had a very relaxed and enjoyable stay. Thank you Harvey's Point.

Room Tip: In the heart ot the Blue Stack Mountains.
Reviewed April 26, 2011

We loved staying in this hotel, it is very expensive but you get what you pay for. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The scenery is breathtaking, I would definately recommend it for anyone who wants a relaxing break from the daily grind of life. The bedrooms in the deluxe suites are massive, was majorly impressed. One word wow!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Jollygirl66, Owner at Harvey's Point, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2011

Many thanks for your kind words in relation to your recent visit to Harvey’s Point. We look forward to welcoming you back again sometime. Kind regards from Deirdre and the Team.

Reviewed April 25, 2011

I returned to Harvey's with my husband for the first time this weekend since our wedding last year. I think we will be making the annual trip up - it was absolute bliss. We arrived on Friday around 2pm and headed straight for the comfy armchairs of the bar area for fish and chips (Harvey's Point style or Donegal style which means as fresh as they come) and a couple of glasses of vino. Incidentally the house wine here is excellent and really reasonable which is refreshing these days. Check-in then and upstairs to our (apartment sized) Executive Suite for a relax and a huge bath, candles, soft music and plenty of toiletries to avail of. After a few hours relaxation it was downstairs for pre-dinner drink and we were then brought to our table. Nothing is a panic here, but no delays either. The food was fantastic starter right through to fudge accompanyments for our tea and coffee!!!! I can't believe you don't hear about this place more, well not in Dublin anyway. Breakfast would blow you away. You know those places where you really wish you had loads of room to try everything - it's one of those. Anyway, you get the jist - this is really a well deserving five star hotel - just without the spa. I was going to say the staff are it's best asset, but you don't get rooms like this in any other hotel and you don't often get food like this. I haven't even mentioned the scenery!! This hotel doesn't need a spa because after our stay we were just so chilled out. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: It's worth upgrading to an Executive Suite
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

It was our pleasure to welcome you back to Harvey’s Point for your wedding anniversary and thank you most sincerely for your excellent review of your experience. It is our goal to impress guests with our staff, our food and our rooms as well as promoting the beauty of Lough Eske and Donegal. We are currently completing two new treatment rooms on the fourth floor with amazing views of the lake and mountains. We look forward to seeing you again next year. All the best from the Gysling Family & Team.

Reviewed April 25, 2011

It was myself and my husbands first time to Donegal and we really enjoyed it. We were going for a rest and that is exactly what we got. The hotel is set in a lovely location and we went on a couple of the walks the hotel recommends. We stayed in one of the exectuive rooms and it looked out over the lake - it was fantastic, it's the biggest room we have ever stayed in. The hotel staff were extremely freindly and helpful and couldn't do enough for us. The only downfall I could say was that there is no Spa as I like to go have a facial while my husband plays golf (but I've been told they are opening one in the next couple of months). Myself and my husband will be back to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your positive review on your recent visit to Harvey’s Point. We are delighted that you have now discovered Donegal and all it has to offer. Work is currently underway to complete two new treatment rooms on our fourth floor which has beautiful views of the lake and mountains and we agree that this will be an added asset to our product. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to Harvey’s Point. Kind regards, Deirdre

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh
The Central Hotel - Donegal
The Central Hotel - Donegal
#5 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Harvey's Point? Share your experiences!