“Thoroughly enjoyable stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
London
“Thoroughly enjoyable stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have just had my first stay in this hotel and I must say I was pleasantly surprised, after reading some of the other reviews.

We went for the Thursday night show " candlelight with the stars" and it was excellent.

The food, staff and our room was wonderful.

We had the end room overlooking Donegal Bay and the view was outstanding.

The show was first class . The staff serving the food worked very hard and the lovely Shiela was the star of the show with her wonderful dancing and energy.

All the acts were class and the compere, the great tenor Eamon Gillespie did a first class job.

I am looking forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: The end room on each floor, overlooking Donegal Bay has the best view.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Where to start the review for this hotel!

Myself and my girlfriend travelled to Donegal in July to attend a wedding (which was being held at another hotel) and had booked the Central Hotel a couple of weeks in advance. The price for one night was remarkably expensive (stayed in a four star hotel in New York a couple of weeks later for cheaper!), however we were willing to give the benefit of the doubt given that it was just a one night stay. We quickly came to regret our decision!

Parking facilities at the location are awful, the hotel is located on the main Donegal Square, so I drove around the back of the hotel in the hope of finding somewhere to park. There is a small public car park available along a narrow stretch of road at the rear (between the hotel and a river), however it is extremely poorly managed. So much so I ended up driving striaght into a dead end/loading bay for the hotel. With cars piled up on top of one another and parked in ANY possible location, there was no room to manoeuvre whatsoever, and I could not turn the car around to drive out. I therefore had to slowly reverse the car out the entire way through the tight enclosure, before luckily chancing upon a recently vacated space. Hardly the ideal start for a "relaxing stay".

After walking for what seemed like an enternity through the hotel with our bags to find the reception, we checked in and headed to get the elevator to our room (which of course was all the way back out the way we came again).

The room was without doubt the worst I have ever encountered of any hotel stay. As we were a travelling party of two, we had booked a standard double room. This room did indeed have a double bed, however it was alongside a single bed, with another single bed in the corner for good measure. Suffice to say, space was at a minimum. The carpets were old and dirty, the decor was outdated by about 20 years, and the television was like something from the dark ages. The less said about the bathroom the better, but the skid marks in the toilet bowl speaks for itself (yes skid marks!).

A quick bite to eat in the hotel bar followed before we had to dash to the sanctuary of the other hotel for the wedding. You would think it's hard to mess up a simple order for a sandwich, but you've obviously never experienced the fine dining experience that the Central Hotel has to offer. A bowl of salad was promptly placed in front of me even though the barman/waiter was fully aware that I had ordered a sandwich. No apologies offered, or query as to whether the salad would suffice. Instead what I got was a mutter about it being a new menu and that the chef got mixed up, and an attitude implying that "well it will have to do you". We were the only people in the bar at the time so I'm at pains to understand how the chef could have got mixed up!

I was glad to excape the hotel afterwards for the wedding, returning late in the evening and checking out first thing the following morning. I am usually easy going and and wiling to overlook the odd issue when it comes to staying in hotels. However, I have never experienced anything like this place in my life, and my simple piece of advice would be to avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liamq13
ballina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night in The Central.It was filthy carpets and mattdress cover had blood stains which were visible through the sheet I felt it was late when we got back to the hotel and noticed the blood stains so I slept in a single bed in the room. I,told receptionist the next morning when paying she said she would pass information on to housekeeping.I waited one week and eventually I had to call they had a note of my complaint but the manager was away.Imagine there was nobody to deal with a complaint during a very busy period in the hotel the month of August.I was offered a free nights stay ,needless to say I wont be back.

1 Thank mary d
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I could not have been more pleased with the service and accommodations. The staff was courteous and helpful. Our room overlooked Donegal Bay. Irish hospitality at its best! Have recommended it to friends and family here in the US.

• Stayed August 2013
Shannon, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We booked through booking .com 3 months before as the prices were good for 2 adults 2 kids and a baby.I requested a quiet room as my baby is a light sleeper.We got there the room was filthy ,the carpets has never seen a wash maybe in who knows when.I went to the desk to ask the room to be changed she told me it was fully booked maybe tomorow as I am only new I dont know what to do.How on earth can you be new and dont know how to deal with a situation she didnt even try The next day I got the room changed it was far much better thanks to Nicole..I had to go and buy cleaning stuff as to be able to use it that day as I had a baby crawling.Breakfast was ok nothing to brag about the waitresses were good,the food in the bar was awful I ordered chicken in creamy garlic the food tasted off and was cold,the boys ordered burgers they were dry .Overall the place needs to be done its so dated they advertise wifi its only on the reception.The location is just good.

Room Tip: maybe their Deluxe room not sure.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

The receptionist really could not be bothered with us, stapling menus was more important. The place decour was very tired. We were Kept Awake Until 7:30am...Ruined our next day. The manager was supposed to email us as told by the desk clerk to apologise....never happened.
Some staff were helpful but overall the place sucks....Except for the location in a loverly town.

2 Thank sharkies67
Dundalk, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed with a group of friends for 2 nights. Donegal town itself is lovely and the hotel is basic but nice enough the problem is the staff! Everyone seemed nice enough although me made 4 phone calls to reception during an exceptionally hot weekend for ice and were told repeatedly it was on the way... never arrived. I made the mistake of leaving personal property in the drawer when I left, I realised it very quickly and told them and it was still thrown out...5 phone calls later and still no-one has phoned me back or responded to my letter and to top it off we were charged for breakfast even though our package didn't include breakfast! I wont be going back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to The Central Hotel - Donegal? Share your experiences!