“very disappointing stay”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
ballina
“very disappointing stay”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night in The Central.It was filthy carpets and mattdress cover had blood stains which were visible through the sheet I felt it was late when we got back to the hotel and noticed the blood stains so I slept in a single bed in the room. I,told receptionist the next morning when paying she said she would pass information on to housekeeping.I waited one week and eventually I had to call they had a note of my complaint but the manager was away.Imagine there was nobody to deal with a complaint during a very busy period in the hotel the month of August.I was offered a free nights stay ,needless to say I wont be back.

1 Thank mary d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
New York, NY
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I could not have been more pleased with the service and accommodations. The staff was courteous and helpful. Our room overlooked Donegal Bay. Irish hospitality at its best! Have recommended it to friends and family here in the US.

• Stayed August 2013
Shannon, Ireland
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We booked through booking .com 3 months before as the prices were good for 2 adults 2 kids and a baby.I requested a quiet room as my baby is a light sleeper.We got there the room was filthy ,the carpets has never seen a wash maybe in who knows when.I went to the desk to ask the room to be changed she told me it was fully booked maybe tomorow as I am only new I dont know what to do.How on earth can you be new and dont know how to deal with a situation she didnt even try The next day I got the room changed it was far much better thanks to Nicole..I had to go and buy cleaning stuff as to be able to use it that day as I had a baby crawling.Breakfast was ok nothing to brag about the waitresses were good,the food in the bar was awful I ordered chicken in creamy garlic the food tasted off and was cold,the boys ordered burgers they were dry .Overall the place needs to be done its so dated they advertise wifi its only on the reception.The location is just good.

Room Tip: maybe their Deluxe room not sure.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The receptionist really could not be bothered with us, stapling menus was more important. The place decour was very tired. We were Kept Awake Until 7:30am...Ruined our next day. The manager was supposed to email us as told by the desk clerk to apologise....never happened.
Some staff were helpful but overall the place sucks....Except for the location in a loverly town.

2 Thank sharkies67
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed with a group of friends for 2 nights. Donegal town itself is lovely and the hotel is basic but nice enough the problem is the staff! Everyone seemed nice enough although me made 4 phone calls to reception during an exceptionally hot weekend for ice and were told repeatedly it was on the way... never arrived. I made the mistake of leaving personal property in the drawer when I left, I realised it very quickly and told them and it was still thrown out...5 phone calls later and still no-one has phoned me back or responded to my letter and to top it off we were charged for breakfast even though our package didn't include breakfast! I wont be going back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Louise M
Cheadle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great short break and lovely area. The staff were polite friendly and very helpful. I would recommend and go there again. It is locate right in the center of town and has easy access to buses, coaches and taxi. The gave a good rate of exchange at the service desk. The food was very good and the room service too.

Room Tip: We had a family room that overlooked the river and you could see otters swimming up and down.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anthony L
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We have just spent 4 nights at The Central Hotel Donegal. Our family sent us for our 50th Birthday,
What a lovely Hotel friendly staff with first class customer service, Reception staff who very busy had time for everyone, excellent facilities enjoyed the pool, sauna and jaccussi,
The food was excellent especially "Just Williams" restaurant very reasonable prices
Entertainment something for everyone,
would recommend and will definitely go back

Room Tip: request a room at the back of the hotel with views over the river
1 Thank Janice K
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to The Central Hotel - Donegal? Share your experiences!