“wonderful time”

The Central Hotel - Donegal
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My hubby had booked 2 nights for us to stay at the hotel for my birthday, and I can honestly say from the moment we entered till we left, the whole experience was wonderful. The room was spacious and tastefully decorated, comfy bed, the bathroom was out of this world with a jacuzzi bath and seperate power shower. The food and service was very good and the entertainment on tues night was very good.

The only very minor negative we had was a squealing noise coming from the bathroom (we think it was from there), didnt stop us from sleeping.

We are looking forward to our next stay at the central hotel :-))))

Room Tip: ask for a room at the rear of the hotel, the views are spectacular
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Central Hotel D, General Manager at The Central Hotel - Donegal, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted you and your husband enjoyed our hospitality, food and services on your recent visit. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

A nice location, but the facility is "dated" (a word the appears in many of the reviews) and the rates were expensive for what you get. I realize that major renovations may be costly, but it wouldn't take much to improve the breakfast presentation and the general demeanor of the staff--neither matched the quality or cheerful disposition that I found prevalent in Ireland. A little would go a long way to avoid the creation of a slightly dreary feeling.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dallas-Voyageur

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

Our hotel is known for its 'Old World Charm', however, I am awear there are areas that may be dated. Pending budgets becoming available improvements are in the pipe line! I am disappointed to note you were not happy with our Breakfast Buffets. It is our goal to present flavoursome and wholesome foods at all times. I trust you will reconsider another visit.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel and the staff are excellent. It is in an excellent location within the Diamond of Donegal.

The hotel Manager is Eammon and is courteous and polite.

The only word of caution would be to make sure that you don't get rooms around 171 where the kitchens extractor fan is located.

Overall the hotel is brilliant and would recommend it heartily to all !

Room Tip: avoid rooms 171 and the surrounding rooms - they are near the kitchens and the extractor fan
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to submit a very courteous review. I am delighted you enjoyed our facilities and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My mother and I by chance, saw this show advertised whilst in Donegal town. Following recommendation by hotel staff, we arrived early and had a great seat by the stage. This was honestly the best 12 euro spent in along time, we had a brilliant night. There was a good variety of entertainment from singers,dancers and musicians. We clapped until our hands were sore.
Overseeing everything was the twinkly eyed Eammon, who ensured all had a great evening .
Thanks to all at the Central , my mother says she will never forget her 70th birthday .

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank GayleMcD

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted you enjoyed our production of "Slice of Ireland" and that your Mum had a very enjoyable birthday. Looking forward to seeing you sometime again.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel is in a good location on the diamond in Donegal. The hotel itself is a bit dated,, although there are nice views from some of the rooms at the rear. I found the staff though to be somewhat indifferent and weary. This hotel is on the bus tour route and maybe is geared for this market rather than the independent traveller.

When we arrived for breakfast, i was asked by the waitress were we Cunningham table for 3. When I said no, she turned on her heels and did'nt come near me again for another 10 mins, there were only 3 other guests in the restaurant. I was eventually asked if I wanted tea or coffee, but nothing arrived for the next 15 mins. I again caught her attention and before I could say anything, she acted as if I had just walked in and asked me if I wanted tea or coffee....deja vu all over again !

Earlier on, at about 7am, the fire alarm went off and did not stop.So as you do, my wife, myself and the two kids made our way to the reception area in our pygamas half asleep where a few members of staff seemed to be running around like headless chickens getting more stressed by the minute. There were a few other half awake, half asleep lost souls in the reception, looking for some direction but we were all but ignored.It transpired that it was a fault with the alarm, but the hotel should seriously do a few fire drills as a matter of urgency because the scene that morning was a bit chaotic with nobody taking charge and giving information to the guests.

As I was checking out 2 hours later, the receptionist clearly on automatic pilot asks me"did you enjoy your stay". This was the same person who I was talking to at 7am in my pyjamas and she was asking me if I enjoyed my stay! no apology,no acknowledgementl, no nothing.....................I suppose another 2/3 tour buses were due to roll in to town later that day

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank o2barebel
Central Hotel D, General Manager at The Central Hotel - Donegal, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

We welcome all business and the independent traveller is very much part of that. I am very upset to learn you hadn't a pleasant experience with one of our waiting team, I sincerely apologise about this. It is our goal to deliver hospitable and friendly service.

With regards the fire alarm, this certainly was most unfortunate. On investigation it was a technical fault in the computer which lead to this unnecessary disruption. Again please accept my apologies. Our reception personnel most certainly should not have been on "automatic pilot" (as per your quote) on your departure. I most certainly would have expected her to offer an apology with regards your early disruption due to the false alarm.

On a final note what can I say only to convey my very sincere apologies. I do hope you will reconsider visiting us again.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed for 2nights. Found staff good. Location good. Room was dated. Bed was definitely old. Bathroom was tiny & dated. They have a good business going but need to invest and bring rooms up to standard. We didn't eat so can't comment. Friendly barman.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review.

I am delighted to learn you found our staff atentative. I am very sorry you found the bed uncomfortable. We are presently half way in refurbishing all our bedrooms. As I'm sure you can appreciate in the current climate we have to take one step at a time.

I do hope on your next visit you will be allocated one of our Superior Bedrooms.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

just back from a weekend in this hotel - upgraded(for a cost) to a deluxe room. Room was very big and airey. Great bathroom with a jaccuzi bath, but the best thing was the magnificent view of donegal bay from our window!! stunning!! helped by the lovely weather as well staff are friendly and eager to help. food was lovely in hotel. a good base to travel around from.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind review.

It is our goal to deliver hospitable and friendly service. The natural beauty of Donegal Bay puts the "icing on the cake" to all who visit.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Donegal Town
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to The Central Hotel - Donegal? Share your experiences!