“Nice, clean hotel”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice, clean hotel”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We chose this hotel for it's position within the town. We received a nice, clean room and were treating by friendly, accommodating staff at all times. The only problem with the hotel is it would be completely unsuitable if you have a buggy or wheelchair.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
raphoe co donegal
Reviewed February 13, 2012

we stayed in hotel on sat 12 feb room was reasonable ...very very warm in room..... staff very good BUT at the early hours of morning had to ask to get moved as the noise from outside was unreal and for 93 euro we wanted a sleep .the nite porter moved us to a room at back of hotel which we were both happy about but i think we should have been offered a voucher for a meal for havin to be moved

Room Tip: go to back rooms at back of hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
cork
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two night because we were attending a wedding. The price was very reasonable, had planned on staying only one night but got a very good deal. The room was very clean but found it very warm when we first arrived, we had to open the windows in December! The breakfast was the usual Irish fry up but i have to say the homemade brown bread was delicious, would have liked some beans with the fry.The staff very very friendly especially the night porter. All in all it was great value and would recommend to friends

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amzs1
Omagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We where looking for a carvery to go to in Donegal as treat for a day out. On the recomendation of a friend we booked on line. So went today and it was the most wonderful experience, from start to finish the service was exceptional. The food was just superb for a carvery standards, and the Manager Eamon was so attentive to all his customers he even came over to our table to welcome us to the Hotel. And it was so inexpeneive around 20 euros per head fantastic value for money. The next time we go back we're staying the night, Can't wait to return

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I was visiting Donegal to see some friends who have recently relocated there. I couldn't decide to book the Central or the Abbey but couldn't see any difference so on impulse I booked The Central. Boy was I sorry. When I arrived, the girl at the desk seemed less than interested in me or any aspect of her job.She rang up to housekeeping to see if I my room was ready and when it was proceeded to tell me payment for the room was upfront!!! In all the hotels I've stayed in, and there's been a lot, I've never been asked to pay upfront.
I checked into my room regardless, it was stifling warm, radiator blasting and the window open. TO say it was basic, is being nice!! I was woken at 2.30am that morning to some other guest outside my door on the phone , speaking loudly, with the person on the other end on loud speaker. I couldn't get back to sleep with this and the unbelievable heat coming from the radiator, which was still on full blast. The knob for turning it off was broken and nowhere to be seen. The next morning things only got worse - when I arrived down for breakfast, I was told they were serving breakfast at the sister hotel next door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it's only next door, but C'mon!!!! Basically from what I can tell, the 2 hotels are owned by the same people and if the Central doesn't have many guests, they push them into the one hotel for breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!!
Breakfast doesn't even get a mention....
Now I know why they ask for payment up front!! And to top it all off.... not once was I asked was I ok for everything, did I need assistance with my bags, did I have a car that I needed directions to a parking space for!!
Terrible service in an awful hotel and what's more - they put me in the worst room in an almost empty hotel!!! I can't say anything good about this hotel unfortunately.

3 Thank CazTreacy
Dublin
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We booked a last minute night away to Donegal from Dublin. The hotel claims to have been done up recently, but it was not evident from what we saw. The room was roasting warm with the heating turned down..... The shampoo/soap in the bathroom was in a little plastic packet and reeked of coconut - you wouldn't wash your dog with it. We went for dinner and when we got back we returned to a dance in the hotel right below our room.... We rang down to ask for the room to be swopped and today 4 days later we are still waiting for an apology. This was bizarre as the hotel was empty, so how a desk clerk thought it appropriate to book us in right above the dance space........

When we went downstairs the next morning for breakfast we were told to go to the neighbouring hotel. Breakfast was poor. The bacon was inedible, so were the beans. It turned out the promotional photos used for the Central was in fact this neibouring hotel....

I would not recommend this hotel at all. It is poor value.

1 Thank Kornaye
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Six of us booked in for the New Years Eve bash. The cost of €69 per head was good value as it included all drinks. the food, service and entertainment was superb.
Well done The Central, we look forward to booking this year.

Daniel Breslin, Bedfordshire, England.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Harvey's Point
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,007 reviews
Bay View Hotel & Leisure Centre

Been to The Central Hotel - Donegal? Share your experiences!