“An average hotel but the staff seem nice”
Review of Mill Park Hotel

Mill Park Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding. We had planned on staying in the town but when we enquired about the other hotels we were given horror stories. Booked into the hotel before the wedding and I must say the reception staff were lovely and helpful. Had a drink it the main bar and that was nice and cheery, food that was coming out to customers looked lovely. Unfortunately the food at the wedding wasn't great, the meat was very dry and tasteless. There was no vegetarian choices but I suppose that's down to the bride and groom not the hotel fault. After the meal before I had finished my coffee the staff were coming round and removing the chair covers and the big disc in the middle or the table I thought that was very rude. Rooms were ok but a horrid smell of bleach when we went into the room. The breakfast the following morning was ok lots of it but I wish hotels would use a good bacon and sausage when preparing breakfast. The bacon was like rubber. There is a fab butchers in Donegal Town who sell award winning sausages if I was running that hotel I would be using them for my customers. Would I return? If I had another wedding I would but only for handiness.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'm not sure what the fuss is about. This place is fine but it's nothing special. We found the beds and bedding mediocre, the bathroom a little dingy, and the food nothing to write home about. We started off with a first floor room right next to people walking by. Ireland was in a heat wave while we were there, so we needed to open up the windows for some breeze (no AC, but that's the norm everywhere). The lock on the window was broken so it opened completely (like, enough to jump through), so we asked for a different room. They put us on the third floor, which had skylights and no windows. We felt much better about keeping everything open, but because we were essentially in the attic, the room was a lot warmer than the first one, so there was no winning this situation.

Though their website does not lie when its says 10 minute walk from downtown Donegal town, they don't clarify that it's not a particularly scenic walk and "downtown" is all the town there is, so it is about 10 minute walk outside town along a street with no sidewalks and across a traffic circle. In all, not really very walkable, not an enjoyable walk, at any rate. There were cute hotels right in the heart of town and we would definitely choose one of them next time.

Room Tip: Neither of our rooms were that great. The top floor heats up but that might be ok most of the time...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Excellent hotel in lovely setting and friendly staff. Room was huge and clean. Superb leisure facility. However did not feel it was value for money and the breakfast, whilst being standard fare, was bland. Room had tea making but no biscuits, not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel. Let down by the small things.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Attended a family wedding last weekend and had a lovely time at the millpark hotel. This is a nice hotel, in lovely grounds. Staff cannot do enough for you and are kind and friendly. The food is amazing!! The room was spotless and large and would definately recommend it to anyone. My only critisism of the rooms is the bulky t.v's could do to be updated to flatscreen.
Overall,I have never experienced such a professonal, friendly service anywhere. Very impressive!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicola L
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Having had our wedding reception in the mill park on the 3rd of August 2012 and having experienced such excellent service on that occasion, we were really excited about returning to the hotel for our anniversary celebrations this week...and of course we were not disappointed! We had a fabulous room for the two night stay. The bed was huge and very comfortable making for a great nights sleep. All areas of the hotel were immaculately clean and it is clear that this hotel is a well run establishment. First impressions mean a lot when you arrive at a hotel and I must say that upon our check in on Wdnesday evening, we were greeted by the most pleasant receptionist I have ever encountered. This definitely set the tone of our trip and left a lasting impression. Other hotels could learn a lot from this practise as we have visited numerous hotels where the receptionists could barely be bothered to hand you the room key. Well done Mill Park! We ate in the bar both nights and the menu was very much to my liking and was also delicious and excellent value for money. The key lime pie was yummy. My husband had steak on the first night and commented that it was much much better than the one he had ate at a more expensive establishment the previous Saturday. I had the brie chicken one evening and the cajun chicken salad the next night and both were delicious. I can't comment on the restaurant as we didn't eat there but I'm sure the same high standards would be maintained there also. Overall we felt well and truly spoilt during our visit to the hotel and I will look forward to going back.

1  Thank Marie T
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Mill Park was much to our liking. It was open and airy and the accommodations were very good. Food was excellent and the staff were excellent. I recommend Mill Park to anyone who is considering spending time in Donegal. It is truly one of the best

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank John S
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Had an enjoyable 2 night stay at this hotel. Check in was very efficient and our bags had reached the room before us. The room was large and comfortable. One excellent feature was a separate shower in the bathroom. The staff were welcoming and efficient. The hotel is located 1 km or a ten minute walk from the town centre. The location was very quiet and safe. Breakfast was very good and meals in the restaurant were similarly of a good standard. Would have no problem staying here again.

2  Thank FLB24
#4 of 7 in Donegal Town
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to Mill Park Hotel? Share your experiences!